The Official BYU vs Utah rivalry thread........

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • San Juan Sun
    Kicked to the curb
    • Dec 2009
    • 9214

    #766
    Anae's failure to approve of Jake led Bronco down the 2-QB debacle, and directly impaired Jake's progress by denying him reps.

    What we have is a suspension of belief in our players. If Anae can't trust Heaps at this point, I doubt he ever will. Settling for a long FG (with timeouts interspersed between each run allowing for reconsideration) over letting your young QB go win it tells me all I need to know about Anae's makeup.This was a microcosm our our entire year.

    There's a reason why Max had to audible so much last year.

    Bottom line, Anae is not an innovator or an attack dog. He gets tight. He relies execution at the expense of innovation. He may be a good man, but he's not the guy to lead BYU's offense into the independent wilderness.
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

    - Ty Cobb

    Comment

    • LiveCoug
      LA Ute loves me
      • Nov 2008
      • 18489

      #767
      Jerome Brooks: "I hate BYU. I hope they go home crying".


      Think the media will even care about this? Do you think Ute fans will think it is inappropriate and demand he apologize to BYU fans?

      Comment

      • New Mexican Disaster
        Suomalainen
        • Nov 2008
        • 4549

        #768
        Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
        When Bradley got the pick, how many off you instantly jumped off your couch shouting "GET DOWN! GET DOWN!!!!!"?
        Me.

        Comment

        • BoylenOver
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 9146

          #769
          BYU played their guts out. They are a 9-win team next season, and will probably be better.

          Utah didn't deserve to get those two breaks on the last TD drive, but with all of the breaks BYU's had over the years, we were due.

          Wynn looked a lot better after getting benched. And for whatever reason, that got the ground game going.

          Question for those at home: the helmet-to-helmet hit and the possible horse-collar on Wide. Were those called correctly? I don't know.

          BYU has a lot to be proud of.
          "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
          "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

          Comment

          • HuskyFreeNorthwest
            Time to camp
            • Nov 2008
            • 26082

            #770
            Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
            When Bradley got the pick, how many off you instantly jumped off your couch shouting "GET DOWN! GET DOWN!!!!!"?
            For a guy with ZERO career interceptions it seems reasonable that he has no idea how to run with the ball. I think he should have pitched it.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

            Comment

            • BoylenOver
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 9146

              #771
              Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
              Jerome Brooks: "I hate BYU. I hope they go home crying".


              Think the media will even care about this? Do you think Ute fans will think it is inappropriate and demand he apologize to BYU fans?
              I wish our players would STFU. And I heard Martinez got in Payne's face at the end. It's embarrassing.
              "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
              "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

              Comment

              • San Juan Sun
                Kicked to the curb
                • Dec 2009
                • 9214

                #772
                Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                For a guy with ZERO career interceptions it seems reasonable that he has no idea how to run with the ball. I think he should have pitched it.
                I never would have thought that Shane Hunter would do a better job returning an INT than Brandon Bradley.
                "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

                - Ty Cobb

                Comment

                • ERCougar
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 10978

                  #773
                  Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                  Anae's failure to approve of Jake led Bronco down the 2-QB debacle, and directly impaired Jake's progress by denying him reps.

                  What we have is a suspension of belief in our players. If Anae can't trust Heaps at this point, I doubt he ever will. Settling for a long FG (with timeouts interspersed between each run allowing for reconsideration) over letting your young QB go win it tells me all I need to know about Anae's makeup.This was a microcosm our our entire year.

                  There's a reason why Max had to audible so much last year.

                  Bottom line, Anae is not an innovator or an attack dog. He gets tight. He relies execution at the expense of innovation. He may be a good man, but he's not the guy to lead BYU's offense into the independent wilderness.
                  What I would have liked to see at the end of the game (and what a more aggressive play caller would have done) is a play action easy pass on 3rd down. Jake is smart enough to throw the ball away if it's not there, but there was a good chance it would have been. I'm not sure how we can count on a 42 yarder when their better FG kicker already missed one of about the same distance. We played that way too conservatively.

                  On the other hand, I loved the 4th down call in the first half. Hoffman needs to catch that.
                  At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                  -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                  Comment

                  • LiveCoug
                    LA Ute loves me
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 18489

                    #774
                    Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                    BYU played their guts out. They are a 9-win team next season, and will probably be better.

                    Utah didn't deserve to get those two breaks on the last TD drive, but with all of the breaks BYU's had over the years, we were due.

                    Wynn looked a lot better after getting benched. And for whatever reason, that got the ground game going.

                    Question for those at home: the helmet-to-helmet hit and the possible horse-collar on Wide. Were those called correctly? I don't know.

                    BYU has a lot to be proud of.
                    If by lucky breaks, you mean plays that BYU executed to win, then sure.

                    BYU gifted 2/3 breaks to the utes. It is what it is.

                    Comment

                    • DapperDan
                      Whut?
                      • Mar 2010
                      • 1132

                      #775
                      Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                      When Bradley got the pick, how many off you instantly jumped off your couch shouting "GET DOWN! GET DOWN!!!!!"?
                      Raises hand

                      Comment

                      • ERCougar
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 10978

                        #776
                        Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                        Question for those at home: the helmet-to-helmet hit and the possible horse-collar on Wide. Were those called correctly? I don't know.
                        I think both should have been non-calls.
                        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                        Comment

                        • Sizzle
                          #ThisIsY
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 9004

                          #777
                          Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                          BYU played their guts out. They are a 9-win team next season, and will probably be better.

                          Utah didn't deserve to get those two breaks on the last TD drive, but with all of the breaks BYU's had over the years, we were due.

                          Wynn looked a lot better after getting benched. And for whatever reason, that got the ground game going.

                          Question for those at home: the helmet-to-helmet hit and the possible horse-collar on Wide. Were those called correctly? I don't know.

                          BYU has a lot to be proud of.
                          Helmet to helmet was close and in full speed it probably looked right. One of those calls that are tough to argue. The horse collar was definitely missed and should have been 15.

                          Comment

                          • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                            Time to camp
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 26082

                            #778
                            Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                            I wish our players would STFU. And I heard Martinez got in Payne's face at the end. It's embarrassing.
                            Some coach for Utah jumped in when Martinez was about to go LaGarrette on Payne. It happens at the end of games. That's why coaches need to keep their heads about them.

                            Whitt took an elbow from a player and looked seriously pissed off, then Tom Kirkland shook his hand and looked on the verge of climax.

                            I would like to thank Bluehair for his avatar which takes away much of the sting of the loss, you need to post more.
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

                            Comment

                            • jay santos
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 13652

                              #779
                              Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                              Anae's failure to approve of Jake led Bronco down the 2-QB debacle, and directly impaired Jake's progress by denying him reps.

                              What we have is a suspension of belief in our players. If Anae can't trust Heaps at this point, I doubt he ever will. Settling for a long FG (with timeouts interspersed between each run allowing for reconsideration) over letting your young QB go win it tells me all I need to know about Anae's makeup.This was a microcosm our our entire year.

                              There's a reason why Max had to audible so much last year.

                              Bottom line, Anae is not an innovator or an attack dog. He gets tight. He relies execution at the expense of innovation. He may be a good man, but he's not the guy to lead BYU's offense into the independent wilderness.
                              Hall rarely if ever audibled to a pass. You really cant understand why anae didn't pass when you're in chip shot fg range with a frosh qb against utahs secondary in that environment? Do you remember detmer vs iowa ?
                              Last edited by jay santos; 11-27-2010, 05:58 PM.

                              Comment

                              • Flystripper
                                Degenerate Gambler
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 14105

                                #780
                                Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                                BYU played their guts out. They are a 9-win team next season, and will probably be better.

                                Utah didn't deserve to get those two breaks on the last TD drive, but with all of the breaks BYU's had over the years, we were due.

                                Wynn looked a lot better after getting benched. And for whatever reason, that got the ground game going.

                                Question for those at home: the helmet-to-helmet hit and the possible horse-collar on Wide. Were those called correctly? I don't know.

                                BYU has a lot to be proud of.
                                I thought helmet to helmet was correct but I think they missed the horse collar on Wide
                                Last edited by Flystripper; 11-27-2010, 05:58 PM.
                                Dyslexics are teople poo...

                                Comment

                                Working...