The Independent Expansion Groundswell

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69736

    #1396
    Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    Every time this comes up, I need to remind Lebowski what a mistake it was to give Utes equal ground on this forum.
    Utes can be annoying at times, but they are harmless.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • SeattleUte
      Faith crisis consultant
      • Nov 2008
      • 20837

      #1397
      Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
      No comment just passing along a link for those interested.
      Okay, I'll comment.

      I agree ego is no. 1. BYU has revealed itself a twitching, angry mass of insecurity. Cougarboard IS BYU! Like I said a week ago, acting out like kid. I've lost a lot of respect for BYU.

      Like that Denver Post guy said: BYU, here's a shocking reality for you: you're not that interesting. GROW UP.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

      --Jonathan Swift

      Comment

      • SeattleUte
        Faith crisis consultant
        • Nov 2008
        • 20837

        #1398
        Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
        I thought this was the only lame thing in the article.


        the truth is that if the only expansion this summer was Boise coming to the WAC then there would be none of this independence talk. Boise comes over, the Utes staying put virtually guarantees the conference of an automatic BCS bid. However, since Utah has gone to the PAC, the MWC has virtually no chance of getting one.

        So, in the present scenario, it's not that BYU has a "We'll show you attitude" it's that they are in an extremely undesirable scenario and they want to better their situation. I don't see it as BYU's ego that's driving this, but a survival of the fittest mentality. If they stick with the crappy tv contract that the MWC has with no improved access to the BCS (which is really more about the cash than the game itself) they will fall behind other programs of their caliber.
        IT WAS ALL EGO. Would they be doing it had the Utes not bolted to the Pac 10? Yeah right.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

        --Jonathan Swift

        Comment

        • Hot Lunch
          Out of Office
          • Nov 2008
          • 7842

          #1399
          Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          Okay, I'll comment.

          I agree ego is no. 1. BYU has revealed itself a twitching, angry mass of insecurity. Cougarboard IS BYU! Like I said a week ago, acting out like kid. I've lost a lot of respect for BYU.

          Like that Denver Post guy said: BYU, here's a shocking reality for you: you're not that interesting. GROW UP.
          From your posts on this board I have a hard time believing that you once had some respect for BYU.
          "Take it to the Bank"

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69736

            #1400
            Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
            Okay, I'll comment.

            I agree ego is no. 1. BYU has revealed itself a twitching, angry mass of insecurity. Cougarboard IS BYU! Like I said a week ago, acting out like kid. I've lost a lot of respect for BYU.

            Like that Denver Post guy said: BYU, here's a shocking reality for you: you're not that interesting. GROW UP.
            LOL!

            I feel sorry for you new folks that don't enjoy SU.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • Art Vandelay
              Striving for mediocrity
              • Jul 2009
              • 10516

              #1401
              Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
              Okay, I'll comment.
              That is so unlike you
              Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
              I've lost a lot of respect for BYU.
              If you look close, you can seem the pain this has caused him.

              Comment

              • YOhio
                Hipster Mode
                • Nov 2008
                • 26165

                #1402
                Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                Like that Denver Post guy said: BYU, here's a shocking reality for you: you're not that interesting. GROW UP.
                Routinely dominating the Utes in all sports does get kind of boring. I'll give you that much.

                Comment

                • PaloAltoCougar
                  Semper infra dignitatem
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 16938

                  #1403
                  Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                  IT WAS ALL EGO. Would they be doing it had the Utes not bolted to the Pac 10? Yeah right.
                  This is a delightful example of projection. BYU had been in discussions concerning independence and/or a future Big 12 and/or megaconference affiliation for many months, long before the PAC-10 extended its "Well, the Texas gambit failed miserably and we're stuck with Colorado so let's go with the only remaining candidate" invitation to Utah.

                  BYU entered into those discussions because it has to give notice of its pending exit from the MWC not later than August 31 of this year, lest it be locked in for two additional years, a period everyone with a passing familiarity with college football knows will be a time of considerable upheaval. Utah is but a small, but worthy, player in the big scheme of things, and yet you are able to conclude it's only because of Utah this is happening.

                  And it's BYU's ego that leads you to your conclusion. Yeah right. I do regret your sudden and unexpected loss of respect for BYU, though.

                  Comment

                  • Moliere
                    One man.....one pie
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 27895

                    #1404
                    Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                    Like that Denver Post guy said: BYU, here's a shocking reality for you: you're not that interesting. GROW UP.
                    Uninteresting enough that a guy from Denver is writing about it.

                    It is interesting however that the third most prolific (by volume, not content) poster in this thread is LA Ute and if you consider the delusional nature of ERCougar (working 5 days straight without sleep) and statman (not sure if he is always like this but it was not normal) than a Ute actually leads in posts about BYU's independence. Utah's and the PAC 12's infatuation with everything BYU continues. We are like the Lakers of the west in college football. I fully expect Utah fans to start chanting "Beat BYU" at some point near in early November.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                    Comment

                    • Green Monstah
                      Royal Rooter
                      • Aug 2010
                      • 13972

                      #1405
                      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                      IT WAS ALL EGO. Would they be doing it had the Utes not bolted to the Pac 10? Yeah right.
                      Have you ever taken a logic class? You're missing a few steps in your logic (or if I can indulge you, you're making unstated assumptions)

                      SU's Argument has to be something like this:

                      If Utah goes to the PAC 10, then BYU will go Independent (assumption).

                      If BYU goes Independent, it is because they are egotistical (assumption).

                      Utah goes to the Pac 10.

                      Therefore, BYU goes indepedent because they are egotistical.

                      Really, SU? There are no other reasons why? It's really that simple in your mind?

                      Face the facts, SU: There is no doubt that if Utah stays MWC, BYU stays put too. With the U, TCU, BSU and BYU, the MWC resume for AQ status is strong. So, you're right that the straw that broke the camel's back was Utah leaving. The fans were upset (understandably, don't you think??) and we feel like our resume of work is deserving of something better than subsidizing the remaining MWC programs. So, we can get more cash and hopefully build a resume and with any luck get an invite to the Big-12 or rake in dough playing Indy (as Utes have pointed out, your increase in revenue after a few years in the P12 will give you a distinct advantage, inter alia, in recruiting). Here's the kicker...we haven't even left yet. Circumstances have changed in the last week, and we're likely staying put because we can't find a suitable home for our non-football sports. There are many factors...and when one of those changed (WAC teams jumping ship), the benefits no longer outweighed the costs, which demonstrates that the reasons for going indy were manifold, and not simply to "keep up with the Joneses."

                      Cougar fans, like Ute fans pre-move to P10, want something better. You of all people should understand that. If we can't get an invite outright, and the MWC only offers us the chance to subsidize the rest of the league (and possibly get our butts kicked by TCU and BSU year in and year out), then why should going indy be taken off the table??
                      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                      "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                      Comment

                      • Hot Lunch
                        Out of Office
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 7842

                        #1406
                        Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                        Uninteresting enough that a guy from Denver is writing about it.

                        It is interesting however that the third most prolific (by volume, not content) poster in this thread is LA Ute and if you consider the delusional nature of ERCougar (working 5 days straight without sleep) and statman (not sure if he is always like this but it was not normal) than a Ute actually leads in posts about BYU's independence. Utah's and the PAC 12's infatuation with everything BYU continues. We are like the Lakers of the west in college football. I fully expect Utah fans to start chanting "Beat BYU" at some point near in early November.
                        I wouldn't go that far.
                        "Take it to the Bank"

                        Comment

                        • Coach McGuirk
                          1
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 12109

                          #1407
                          Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                          I wouldn't go that far.

                          How about Jazz of the west?

                          Comment

                          • Hot Lunch
                            Out of Office
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 7842

                            #1408
                            Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                            How about Jazz of the west?
                            I was just thinking that.
                            "Take it to the Bank"

                            Comment

                            • LA Ute
                              Receiver of Memory
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19512

                              #1409
                              Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                              It is interesting however that the third most prolific (by volume, not content) poster in this thread is LA Ute and if you consider the delusional nature of ERCougar (working 5 days straight without sleep) and statman (not sure if he is always like this but it was not normal) than a Ute actually leads in posts about BYU's independence.
                              Well, I am a little more concerned about a guy who counts posts in a thread than I am about one who posts a lot in a particular thread. But I was home sick all week last week with nothing but my computer to connect me to the outside world, and this was the most compelling story going on. Besides, I am having fun with this, thank you, and I like you guys (heaven help me). I don't mind admitting that what happens to BYU's conference affiliation is interesting to me. With all my BYU fan friends and loved ones, I will have to live with whatever happens and hear about it all the time (I already am), so I might as well keep track of it. I guess that must means something important about the rest of Ute nation too, but I'll let you explain that to me.
                              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                              ― W.H. Auden


                              "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                              "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                              Comment

                              • pellegrino
                                miserere me
                                • Jan 2009
                                • 12100

                                #1410
                                Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                                IT WAS ALL EGO. Would they be doing it had the Utes not bolted to the Pac 10? Yeah right.
                                come on SU, you've got a higher rational capacity than most and all you can do is put out this drivel ? I'm disappointed.
                                Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                                God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                                Alessandro Manzoni

                                Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                                pelagius

                                Comment

                                Working...