The Independent Expansion Groundswell

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Blueintheface
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 15382

    #2281
    Originally posted by landpoke View Post
    I imagine the attempt to take down the conference in order to beef up byu's independent schedule doesn't sit too well with a lot of folks, not just Wyoming.
    I get that. This was BYU looking out for BYU and subsequently screwing everyone else but why burn the bridge so quickly? Just seems knee-jerk to me. Your fanbase really gets up for Utah and BYU and I would think a future series with either/both would be a no-brainer.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

    "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

    Comment

    • landpoke
      Never once baby snatched
      • Nov 2008
      • 4183

      #2282
      Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
      I get that. This was BYU looking out for BYU and subsequently screwing everyone else but why burn the bridge so quickly? Just seems knee-jerk to me. Your fanbase really gets up for Utah and BYU and I would think a future series with either/both would be a no-brainer.
      The fanbase supports the decision. Honestly byu isn't as big a draw as csu or a big name bcs team.
      There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

      Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

      Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
      Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
      …
      Tomorrow is Saturday
      And Sunday comes afterwards

      Comment

      • Moliere
        One man.....one pie
        • Oct 2009
        • 27886

        #2283
        Originally posted by landpoke View Post
        The fanbase supports the decision. Honestly byu isn't as big a draw as csu or a big name bcs team.
        This is like having the ugliest girl in class send you a note telling you not to ask her out.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

        Comment

        • YOhio
          Hipster Mode
          • Nov 2008
          • 26165

          #2284
          Originally posted by landpoke View Post
          The fanbase supports the decision. Honestly byu isn't as big a draw as csu or a big name bcs team.
          I'll be honest, one of the things that bothers me the most about this is leaving behind those teams I love to hate. I know you don't have much sentiment toward the game, but I really loved just kicking the crap out of the 'pokes every season. I'll miss that. I really will.

          Comment

          • landpoke
            Never once baby snatched
            • Nov 2008
            • 4183

            #2285
            Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
            This is like having the ugliest girl in class send you a note telling you not to ask her out.
            Well, to be fair, it wasn't an announcement but rather a response to a reporters' question.
            There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

            Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

            Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
            Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
            …
            Tomorrow is Saturday
            And Sunday comes afterwards

            Comment

            • landpoke
              Never once baby snatched
              • Nov 2008
              • 4183

              #2286
              Originally posted by YOhio View Post
              I'll be honest, one of the things that bothers me the most about this is leaving behind those teams I love to hate. I know you don't have much sentiment toward the game, but I really loved just kicking the crap out of the 'pokes every season. I'll miss that. I really will.
              I never said I didn't have any sentiment toward the game, just that csu is a much bigger game for me and most Poke fans. I think if I were a byu fan (and I do understand I'm not everybody), I'd be worried about what you mention above. A random schedule year after year would be unappealing to me. The little quirks that develop playing the same teams every year are what makes college football special.
              There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

              Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

              Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
              Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
              …
              Tomorrow is Saturday
              And Sunday comes afterwards

              Comment

              • Surfah
                Where's Wallace?
                • Nov 2008
                • 33726

                #2287
                Originally posted by landpoke View Post
                I never said I didn't have any sentiment toward the game, just that csu is a much bigger game for me and most Poke fans. I think if I were a byu fan (and I do understand I'm not everybody), I'd be worried about what you mention above. A random schedule year after year would be unappealing to me. The little quirks that develop playing the same teams every year are what makes college football special.
                I agree with this. But things are trending away from that. Look at the Big 10 realignment. We'll see the same in the Pac 10. The landscape is changing almost daily.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

                Comment

                • YOhio
                  Hipster Mode
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 26165

                  #2288
                  Originally posted by landpoke View Post
                  I never said I didn't have any sentiment toward the game, just that csu is a much bigger game for me and most Poke fans. I think if I were a byu fan (and I do understand I'm not everybody), I'd be worried about what you mention above. A random schedule year after year would be unappealing to me. The little quirks that develop playing the same teams every year are what makes college football special.
                  That is one of my main concerns with this crazy experiment.

                  Comment

                  • wally
                    <><><><><><><><>
                    • Jun 2010
                    • 4137

                    #2289
                    Originally posted by landpoke View Post
                    I never said I didn't have any sentiment toward the game, just that csu is a much bigger game for me and most Poke fans. I think if I were a byu fan (and I do understand I'm not everybody), I'd be worried about what you mention above. A random schedule year after year would be unappealing to me. The little quirks that develop playing the same teams every year are what makes college football special.
                    This is a good point. BYU will need to develop long-term matchups to complement the random series'.

                    Comment

                    • Blueintheface
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 15382

                      #2290
                      Originally posted by wally View Post
                      This is a good point. BYU will need to develop long-term matchups to complement the random series'.
                      I just hope we can fill out our 2011 and 2012 schedules.
                      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                      "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                      Comment

                      • CJF
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 8497

                        #2291
                        Originally posted by landpoke View Post
                        I never said I didn't have any sentiment toward the game, just that csu is a much bigger game for me and most Poke fans. I think if I were a byu fan (and I do understand I'm not everybody), I'd be worried about what you mention above. A random schedule year after year would be unappealing to me. The little quirks that develop playing the same teams every year are what makes college football special.
                        I completely agree. Which is why I was hopeful there would be a few regular meetings with old MWC rivals. I couldn't care less about any of the WAC teams outside of Utah State. I was hopeful it would work out but I knew it wouldn't. At least in the short term. I hate Wyoming, but I'll miss them.
                        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

                        Comment

                        • Surfah
                          Where's Wallace?
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 33726

                          #2292
                          Harmon just tweeted that the ESPN deal is about a million per game regardless of platform. So there is no tiered payout based on if it's ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • wally
                            <><><><><><><><>
                            • Jun 2010
                            • 4137

                            #2293
                            Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            Harmon just tweeted that the ESPN deal is about a million per game regardless of platform. So there is no tiered payout based on if it's ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU.
                            So about $7 M per year, just like I've been saying all along.

                            Comment

                            • landpoke
                              Never once baby snatched
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 4183

                              #2294
                              Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              I agree with this. But things are trending away from that. Look at the Big 10 realignment. We'll see the same in the Pac 10. The landscape is changing almost daily.
                              Yeah, I know. It's taken much of the joy out of college football for me.
                              There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

                              Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

                              Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                              Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
                              …
                              Tomorrow is Saturday
                              And Sunday comes afterwards

                              Comment

                              • Blueintheface
                                Senior Member
                                • Sep 2009
                                • 15382

                                #2295
                                Originally posted by landpoke View Post
                                Yeah, I know. It's taken much of the joy out of college football for me.
                                For me at least, if it leads to the demise of the current BCS and a resettlement of traditional college football I'm all for it. I foresee this scenario with all of the upheaval. That is if the NCAA can figure out a way to get a handle on this runaway train before it does break with great national traditions.

                                Greed sans regulation could ultimately be the death knell to the college football we've become accustomed to.
                                "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                                "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                                Comment

                                Working...