Ranking Utah

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Moliere
    One man.....one pie
    • Oct 2009
    • 27877

    #31
    Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    Why would they do this? Utah is doing just fine with the type of kids they are recruiting. I have to say that Utah's team is more athletic that BYU's team. They will need athletes to win in the Pac-10. I don't see Utah starting to recruit the type of players that BYU is recruiting. I also think that you will see less and less missionaries in Utah's program.
    I'm thinking they can go out and get kids like the Collies or other LDS kids in California. Utah will be playing in Cali more often than BYU and Utah can offer at least some variation of the BYU experience (granted Utah probably offers a better LDS experience than BYU for most kids). They also could have gone after Jake Heaps seeing as how they will be also playing in Washington every so often.

    Utah's recruiting footprint is now solidly in the PAC 12 country and there are a lot of LDS kids in that area that might now consider Utah, whereas before it was either a BCS team or the Lord's team. Utah could now be a consideration.

    Edit: TIC on the Lord's team in case you didn't know.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

    Comment

    • Mormon Red Death
      BYU Delenda Est
      • Nov 2008
      • 8077

      #32
      Originally posted by USS Utah
      Though the location is the same, I think most would agree that the Holliday Bowl is better than the Poinsettia Bowl.
      I'd much rather go to the holiday bowl then the poinsettia as the timing of the bowl is better for travel.
      "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

      "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

      Comment

      • Moliere
        One man.....one pie
        • Oct 2009
        • 27877

        #33
        Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
        I think Utah will be competitive right from the start and will be a perrenial top 3 in the Pac-10. The reason? I think winners win and losers lose. Utah is a winner who has gotten used to winning. The players believe they are good and the coaches believe they can win. Also, the gap between the AQ conferences and the non-AQ conferences is in the worst teams, not in the best teams. Utah, as one of the best MWC teams, is as good as the top teams from the Pac.
        Bingo! Utah can beat top teams and so can BYU. Utah will do well in the PAC 12. They may not end up with a legacy like USC but they will do well.

        One thing Utah lacks right now is BCS depth. I personally think they will suffer for a year or two with a more grueling schedule and possibly more injuries (no more resting players in the 4th quarter against Wyoming and SDSU). More injuries might lead to more losses but given a couple years they will probably have better depth.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

        Comment

        • SeattleUte
          Faith crisis consultant
          • Nov 2008
          • 20837

          #34
          Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
          I think Utah will be competitive right from the start and will be a perrenial top 3 in the Pac-10. The reason? I think winners win and losers lose. Utah is a winner who has gotten used to winning. The players believe they are good and the coaches believe they can win. Also, the gap between the AQ conferences and the non-AQ conferences is in the worst teams, not in the best teams. Utah, as one of the best MWC teams, is as good as the top teams from the Pac.
          Agree. Stated a little differently, Utah will do well because Kyle Whittingham is the coach. He's young and appears to be a lifer at Utah. Kyle is absolutely stellar; I would not trade him for any coach in the country all things considered. He's probably the best coach in the Pac 12.

          Note to BYU fans: I'm not interested in reading you saying we're going to have to adjust our expectations, yadeeeya. You're in no position to tell us that.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

          --Jonathan Swift

          Comment

          • Surfah
            Where's Wallace?
            • Nov 2008
            • 33726

            #35
            Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
            Agree. Stated a little differently, Utah will do well because Kyle Whittingham is the coach. He's young and appears to be a lifer at Utah. Kyle is absolutely stellar; I would not trade him for any coach in the country all things considered. He's probably the best coach in the Pac 12.

            Note to BYU fans: I'm not interested in reading you saying we're going to have to adjust our expectations, yadeeeya. You're in no position to tell us that.
            What makes you think Kyle is a lifer? Joining the Pac 10 certainly increased those chances. And he's a great coach don't get me wrong, but the Pac 10 has a number of them. Shoot there are assistant coaches that I think are better than Kyle in the Pac 10.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

            Comment

            • Top Ute
              Junior Member
              • May 2010
              • 2194

              #36
              This is an interesting thread, because while everyone is trying to "slot" where Utah would finish in the Pac-10, or how the program rates against the rest of the Pac-10, I find my expectations for the program being the same whether it's in the MWC or the Pac-10.

              The only expectation I have is for every HS kid Utah signs and is in the program for five years, that they win one conference championship, shared or outright. Every kid that Utah has signed that fits that prototype since 1992 has done just that.

              I've never looked at a division title as being equal to a shared conference title, but knowing that a Pac-10 Utah could win a division, lose the conference title game and (possibly) make it to a BCS bowl game in the right year -- I'd gladly take that trade for our players if it meant not winning an outright conference title.

              Comment

              • Top Ute
                Junior Member
                • May 2010
                • 2194

                #37
                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                Shoot there are assistant coaches that I think are better than Kyle in the Pac 10.
                Name 'em. If you tell me Ed Orgeron is a better coach than Kyle, I'll have to laugh you out of the room.

                Comment

                • Hot Lunch
                  Out of Office
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 7842

                  #38
                  Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  What makes you think Kyle is a lifer? Joining the Pac 10 certainly increased those chances. And he's a great coach don't get me wrong, but the Pac 10 has a number of them. Shoot there are assistant coaches that I think are better than Kyle in the Pac 10.
                  I have to disagree with this. I don't think there are any assistant coaches in the Pac-10 better than Kyle. I would also rank Kyle in the top tier of Head Coaches in the Pac-10. Kyle knows his stuff. He is an incredible coach. Kyle is one of the best defensive minds in all of college football.

                  I think Kyle is a lifer, he is now in a big time conference and he has proved that even big time money won't take him away from Utah when he turned down 4 million a year to coach the Vols.
                  Last edited by Hot Lunch; 07-01-2010, 12:36 PM.
                  "Take it to the Bank"

                  Comment

                  • Surfah
                    Where's Wallace?
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 33726

                    #39
                    Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                    I have to disagree with this. I don't think there are any assistant coaches in the Pac-10 better than Kyle. I would also rank Kyle in the tier of Head Coaches in the Pac-10. Kyle knows his stuff. He is an incredible coach. Kyle is one of the best defensive minds in all of college football.

                    I think Kyle is a lifer, he is now in a big time conference and he has proved that even big time money won't take him away from Utah when he turned down 4 million a year to coach the Vols.
                    I would argue Monte Kiffin is arguably the greatest defensive mind in football today period, and not just one of the best in college. Also, he's an assistant coach with USC.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • Hot Lunch
                      Out of Office
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 7842

                      #40
                      Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      I would argue Monte Kiffin is arguably the greatest defensive mind in football today period, and not just one of the best in college. Also, he's an assistant coach with USC.
                      Fine, you win. You named one. I agree Monte Kiffin is one of the greatest defensive minds in all of football and he is an exception as an assistant. His resume is pretty hard to beat by any coach in football. He is probably the best coach in the conference. He didn't come to mind when I posted.
                      "Take it to the Bank"

                      Comment

                      • Surfah
                        Where's Wallace?
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 33726

                        #41
                        Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                        Fine, you win. You named one. I agree Monte Kiffin is one of the greatest defensive minds in all of football and he is an exception as an assistant. His resume is pretty hard to beat by any coach in football. He is probably the best coach in the conference. He didn't come to mind when I posted.
                        See that Top Ute? :finger3:
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • Top Ute
                          Junior Member
                          • May 2010
                          • 2194

                          #42
                          Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          I would argue Monte Kiffin is arguably the greatest defensive mind in football today period, and not just one of the best in college. Also, he's an assistant coach with USC.
                          I'll give you Kiffin, but he's on that list by default, seeing his son hired him and Monte's not looking for any HC jobs in the college ranks. His background is much more NFL-centric than it is the college game.

                          Comment

                          • Top Ute
                            Junior Member
                            • May 2010
                            • 2194

                            #43
                            Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            See that Top Ute? :finger3:
                            You named one. You initially said "coaches", plural.

                            Comment

                            • Jarid in Cedar
                              CS Institutional Memory
                              • Jun 2009
                              • 13234

                              #44
                              Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                              I have to disagree with this. I don't think there are any assistant coaches in the Pac-10 better than Kyle. I would also rank Kyle in the top tier of Head Coaches in the Pac-10. Kyle knows his stuff. He is an incredible coach. Kyle is one of the best defensive minds in all of college football.

                              I think Kyle is a lifer, he is now in a big time conference and he has proved that even big time money won't take him away from Utah when he turned down 4 million a year to coach the Vols.
                              "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                              "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                              "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                              -Rick Majerus

                              Comment

                              • Mormon Red Death
                                BYU Delenda Est
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 8077

                                #45
                                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                I would argue Monte Kiffin is arguably the greatest defensive mind in football today period, and not just one of the best in college. Also, he's an assistant coach with USC.
                                I would argue that Monte Kiffin is a rich man's Buddy Ryan. A very good defensive assistant coach but an average head coach. As a head coach for NC state his record was 16-17. I say as assistants Kyle when he was DC is on par with him with a slight edge to Monte. As a head coach Kyle is leaps and bounds over him.
                                Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 07-01-2010, 01:33 PM.
                                "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

                                "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

                                Comment

                                Working...