Ranking Utah

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SeattleUte
    Faith crisis consultant
    • Nov 2008
    • 20837

    #46
    Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    I would argue that Monte Kiffin is a rich man's Buddy Ryan. A very good defensive assistant coach but not an average head coach. As a head coach for NC state his record was 16-17. I say as assistants Kyle when he was DC is on par with him with a slight edge to Monte. As a head coach Kyle is leaps and bounds over him.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

    Comment

    • Hot Lunch
      Out of Office
      • Nov 2008
      • 7842

      #47
      Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
      I would argue that Monte Kiffin is a rich man's Buddy Ryan. A very good defensive assistant coach but not an average head coach. As a head coach for NC state his record was 16-17. I say as assistants Kyle when he was DC is on par with him with a slight edge to Monte. As a head coach Kyle is leaps and bounds over him.


      I see your point as a head coach but to say Monte has a slight edge as an assistant is just down right laughable. I understand your love for yous coach but please take off your red glasses that you are wearing and look at the levels that they coached at. You sound like a cougarboarder with that statement.
      Last edited by Hot Lunch; 07-02-2010, 08:18 AM.
      "Take it to the Bank"

      Comment

      • Mormon Red Death
        BYU Delenda Est
        • Nov 2008
        • 8077

        #48
        Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post


        I see your point as a head coach but to say Monte has a slight edge as an assistant is just down right laughable. I understand your love for yous coach but please take off your red glasses that you were and look at the levels that they coached at. You sound like a cougarboarder with that statement.
        Look I love Monte Kiffin as I am a longtime Bucs fan. I think he is a great coach but some things to remember about his defensive teams in the NFL. Those Bucs teams were absolutely loaded especially for the cover 2. Buddy Ryan looked like a genius when had Chicago's D and LT in New York. Monte had the best LB (Derrick Brooks) and the best secondary unit for 10 years. Not to mention a hall of famer (sapp) on the DL. How did his defense do at Tennessee? Like I said he is a great coach no doubt but he isnt head and shoulders over Kyle as a DC.

        Kyle proved time and time again as DC to be a great mind. Give him a month to prepare for team and he is awesome. Which would you rather have Kyle or Monte as your DC? Personally I would go with Kyle.
        "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

        "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

        Comment

        • Hot Lunch
          Out of Office
          • Nov 2008
          • 7842

          #49
          Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
          Look I love Monte Kiffin as I am a longtime Bucs fan. I think he is a great coach but some things to remember about his defensive teams in the NFL. Those Bucs teams were absolutely loaded especially for the cover 2. Buddy Ryan looked like a genius when had Chicago's D and LT in New York. Monte had the best LB (Derrick Brooks) and the best secondary unit for 10 years. Not to mention a hall of famer (sapp) on the DL. How did his defense do at Tennessee? Like I said he is a great coach no doubt but he isnt head and shoulders over Kyle as a DC.

          Kyle proved time and time again as DC to be a great mind. Give him a month to prepare for team and he is awesome.
          Can Kyle do it on a weekly basis now? That is the big question. You still can't compare Kyle and Monte as assistants. Monte was on a much bigger stage and he was incredibly successful. Monte was at Tennessee for one year when the program was a mess. They were an awful team that didn't have talent that matched their competition in the SEC because of the previous staff. None of those guys on that team were his guys.
          "Take it to the Bank"

          Comment

          • Mormon Red Death
            BYU Delenda Est
            • Nov 2008
            • 8077

            #50
            Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
            Can Kyle do it on a weekly basis now? That is the big question. You still can't compare Kyle and Monte as assistants. Monte was on a much bigger stage and he was incredibly successful. Monte was at Tennessee for one year when the program was a mess. They were an awful team that didn't have talent that matched their competition in the SEC because of the previous staff. None of those guys on that team were his guys.
            Well he did have the best Safety in the country. Not to mention another first round draft pick at DT. Also their FS is at NFL camps
            "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

            "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

            Comment

            • Hot Lunch
              Out of Office
              • Nov 2008
              • 7842

              #51
              Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
              Well he did have the best Safety in the country. Not to mention another first round draft pick at DT. Also their FS is at NFL camps
              Well, Tennessee ranked 22 in total defense last year. So I guess he didn't so bad last year with talent that wasn't up to par. They were only 3 spots behind Utah that had 5 guys in NFL training camps and they also played a more difficult schedule.

              "Take it to the Bank"

              Comment

              • Mormon Red Death
                BYU Delenda Est
                • Nov 2008
                • 8077

                #52
                Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                Well, Tennessee ranked 22 in total defense last year. So I guess he didn't so bad last year with talent that wasn't up to par. They were only 3 spots behind Utah that had 5 guys in NFL training camps and they also played a more difficult schedule.

                http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.js...otdef&site=org
                Exactly as I said he is a great coach. If I could pick between him and Kyle as DC I would go with Kyle.
                "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

                "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

                Comment

                • Hot Lunch
                  Out of Office
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 7842

                  #53
                  Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                  Exactly as I said he is a great coach. If I could pick between him and Kyle as DC I would go with Kyle.
                  Right now based on age I would as well. But if I were looking at total resume I don't know how you could say that. Don't get me wrong, I think Kyle is probably in the top 5 or 6 when it comes to defensive coaches in college football. As good as Kyle's resume is, it doesn't really even come close to Monte's..
                  "Take it to the Bank"

                  Comment

                  • Mormon Red Death
                    BYU Delenda Est
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 8077

                    #54
                    Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                    Right now based on age I would as well. But if I were looking at total resume I don't know how you could say that. Don't get me wrong, I think Kyle is probably in the top 5 or 6 when it comes to defensive coaches in college football. As good as Kyle's resume is, it doesn't really even come close to Monte's..
                    Don't you think there is more to being a coach then simply calling defenses and preparing for the other team (which I still don't think Monte is that much ahead of Kyle).

                    Kyle has recruited and developed a lot of NFL Defensive players. Monte by way of being in the NFL has not done this (whether he does remains to be seen). Of the really good players on those bucs defense most of them were first rounders (Lynch was 3rd rounder and Kelly was a second rounder).
                    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

                    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

                    Comment

                    • Hot Lunch
                      Out of Office
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 7842

                      #55
                      Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                      Don't you think there is more to being a coach then simply calling defenses and preparing for the other team (which I still don't think Monte is that much ahead of Kyle).

                      Kyle has recruited and developed a lot of NFL Defensive players. Monte by way of being in the NFL has not done this (whether he does remains to be seen). Of the really good players on those bucs defense most of them were first rounders (Lynch was 3rd rounder and Kelly was a second rounder).
                      This is something that Monte Kiffin hasn't had to do so we can't judge him on that.

                      I just don't know how you can say that Monte isn't that much ahead of Kyle when it comes to planning and calling defenses. NFL >>>>>>>>>>> MWC. Kyle has yet to prove anything on a weekly basis outside of doing it in the Mountain West. Kyle hasn't had to even come close to game planning for complex offensive systems like Monte has.
                      "Take it to the Bank"

                      Comment

                      • cougjunkie
                        *Banned*
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 23223

                        #56
                        Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                        This is something that Monte Kiffin hasn't had to do so we can't judge him on that.

                        I just don't know how you can say that Monte isn't that much ahead of Kyle when it comes to planning and calling defenses. NFL >>>>>>>>>>> MWC. Kyle has yet to prove anything on a weekly basis outside of doing it in the Mountain West. Kyle hasn't had to even come close to game planning for complex offensive systems like Monte has.
                        This argument is completely laughable to compare Kyle Whittingham as a D-coordinator to Monte Kiffin is ridiculous. Monte Kiffin has a better track record and he has done it on a much bigger stage. The bullcrap argument about him having the best linebacker and secondary in the game is stupid as well why were they the best in the game? Because of Montes scheme and Montes coaching. I bet MRD thinks Phil Jackson is not the greatest NBA coach of all time either because he had Michael Jordan and Kobe.
                        *Banned*

                        Comment

                        • Surfah
                          Where's Wallace?
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 33726

                          #57
                          Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                          There's the kiss of death for your argument MRD.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • BoylenOver
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 9146

                            #58
                            Chris Hill does a monthly "Hill Chat" that he sends out to people on the U of U athletics mailing list.

                            This month's chat discussed the PAC-10. It said that the average athletics budget for the PAC-10 is $60 million per year, and the average fundraising is $11 million per year. Utah's athletic budget is $30 million, and their average fundraising is $5 million.

                            Assuming this will improve, it certainly won't happen overnight. I think it dovetails perfectly with the tempered expectations theme of this thread.
                            "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                            "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                            Comment

                            • cougjunkie
                              *Banned*
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 23223

                              #59
                              Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                              Chris Hill does a monthly "Hill Chat" that he sends out to people on the U of U athletics mailing list.

                              This month's chat discussed the PAC-10. It said that the average athletics budget for the PAC-10 is $60 million per year, and the average fundraising is $11 million per year. Utah's athletic budget is $30 million, and their average fundraising is $5 million.

                              Assuming this will improve, it certainly won't happen overnight. I think it dovetails perfectly with the tempered expectations theme of this thread.
                              Here come the excuses, Utah is like the Royals and they are in the AL East trying to compete.
                              *Banned*

                              Comment

                              • BoylenOver
                                Junior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 9146

                                #60
                                Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                                Here come the excuses, Utah is like the Royals and they are in the AL East trying to compete.
                                It will take time to recover from playing in the two lowest-rated BCS games.
                                "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                                "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                                Comment

                                Working...