The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Texas lawmakers are crying to the governor to do something…

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/07/23/lawm...bbotts-office/

Gov Abbott is an UT alumnus so he sent his staff to meet with them.
    Too bad the Dems are on their vacation in DC or else they could form a quorum and pass legislation to stop UT from leaving.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Smoke…

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeLesli...49742150946816

aTm is coming back to the Big 12 now that UT is leaving. Take it to the bank. Hey, maybe Nebraska will come back now too.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Interesting article… it seems most of ESPNs money will be going to the SEC and the PAC 12 will most likely get screwed because they will be last to the table and will have to fight for the scraps. I wonder what this implies for BYUs ESPN contract. Also, mentions that the Big 12 is considering to expand to 16 teams by adding a bunch of G5 teams and BYU.

https://sports.yahoo.com/with-ou-and...001525168.html

USC should maybe abandon the PAC and join ND in independence.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          Interesting article… it seems most of ESPNs money will be going to the SEC and the PAC 12 will most likely get screwed because they will be last to the table and will have to fight for the scraps. I wonder what this implies for BYUs ESPN contract. Also, mentions that the Big 12 is considering to expand to 16 teams by adding a bunch of G5 teams and BYU.

https://sports.yahoo.com/with-ou-and...001525168.html

USC should maybe abandon the PAC and join ND in independence.
          The Big 12 is the conference getting screwed. PAC 12 will remain as is or add a couple solid Big 12 refugees

Comment

• Originally posted by Larry “Moose” Stubing View Post

The Big 12 is the conference getting screwed. PAC 12 will remain as is or add a couple solid Big 12 refugees
            I agree with you about the PAC-12 from a membership standpoint, but did you read the article that Ted linked? I'll grant you that Ted links lots of stupid stuff, much of it not worth reading, but in this case I would consider Pete Thamel to be slightly better informed than the average schmoe on Twitter.

The article's references to the PAC12 weren't really discussing things from a membership standpoint. Pete Thamel's point was that given the timing of various upcoming conference TV contract negotiations, the PAC-12 is definitely in danger of falling behind from a monetary standpoint. Do you have a take on that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Please ignore SU.

I am not sure you and I are even in any kind of disagreement. I simply asked a question to get more clarification on what you were thinking. BYU is unique for sure.

But I do believe twitter is not a reliable weather vane on public opinion. It is like the comment section of the Salt Lake Tribune. Interesting, but don't take it too seriously.

According to Pew, only 22% of US adults are regular Twitter users. Those 22% skew younger and more left than the general population. In addition, 10% of those active users generate 80% of the content. Twitter has its value, but gauging true public opinion is not part of that value.. I look forward to the day when politicians and corporations ignore Twitter because it is not the real world.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

According to Pew, only 22% of US adults are regular Twitter users. Those 22% skew younger and more left than the general population. In addition, 10% of those active users generate 80% of the content. Twitter has its value, but gauging true public opinion is not part of that value.. I look forward to the day when politicians and corporations ignore Twitter because it is not the real world.
                Yes! Exactly.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

This is a truism. It wasn't the point of his comment.
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post

This is a truism. It wasn't the point of his comment.
                    Yes it was, you dummy.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• For those that need some good conference expansion inside scoops, MVHer ha stemporarily made his account public so you don’t even need to follow him to get the juicy info.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        For those that need some good conference expansion inside scoops, MVHer ha stemporarily made his account public so you don’t even need to follow him to get the juicy info.

Haha. Has that guy ever been right about anything?

Comment

Just like the Oracle of CS. If you say enough stuff you are bound to be right once in a while.

Comment

LOL... No. There are teams in the Big 12 that are very close to being in the red already.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• The attorney general of WV may sue UT/OU:

And then burn some couches.
                              Last edited by Uncle Ted; 07-25-2021, 03:54 PM.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Larry “Moose” Stubing View Post

The PAC may not want any Big 12 refugees...

Pac-12 expansion evaluation: Baylor

Earlier this week, Trojans Wire offered a general overview of what the Pac-12 faces as it considers expansion and realignment. Let’s now dive into specific schools with specific characteristics and see whether they would be good fits for the Pac-12.

Let’s start with a school which should create the easiest, least stressful, and clearest decision for the Pac-12: Baylor.
                                [...]
                                The answer to Baylor is simple: No. No way. Stop. Access denied. Go somewhere else.
                                https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/202...uation-baylor/
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X