The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    The article doesn't ring true. ESPN will pay and has paid $15 million plus, just for a conference championship game. ESPN pays BYU approx $8m per year (right?). Therefore, the B12 would likely break even or make more money by adding BYU. IOW, BYU don't cost a thing.

Comment

• Texas just hired Admiral McRaven as their Chancellor. Pretty baller move.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        The SEC's network is called ESPN.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          The SEC's network is called ESPN.
          Lol. For real. They have a very strong bias.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
            IMHO the problem is that there is not a great expansion partner to pair with BYU, be it in the east or the west.
            This is a big problem. You could justify Cincinnati or maybe UCF to pair with WVU. But if you really reaching Boise St is the only team in the west that would make sense (and in football only).

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
              This is a big problem. You could justify Cincinnati or maybe UCF to pair with WVU. But if you really reaching Boise St is the only team in the west that would make sense (and in football only).
              UNLV is the team I think they should take.
              Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                UNLV is the team I think they should take.
                They would have to make some big investment guarantees. I would prefer San Diego State. I'd like to see a second major conference in SoCal.

Comment

• If you look at the teams currently in the non-P5 conferences, there is not a lot that would be attractive to major conferences. All of these schools struggle with attendance (save BYU, ECU, and UCF). Its rare that these schools have a successful athletics department overall. Lets say the Big-12 decides (or other conferences mandate) to bring in two more teams and a conference championship game. They can pick between the best 3, maybe 4, programs out there to get there. If other conferences decide they want to go to 14 teams like the B1G and SEC, then there just aren't enough quality teams out there. The ACC could easily pick up UConn due to basketball I suppose. BUt that leaves you with BYU, Boise St, Cincinnati and UCF.

Comment

• Big 12 made the decision to go east with WVU. I see very little chance they spread across three time zones to take BYU and even less chance they would go all four with UNLV or SDSU paired with BYU. I guess football only makes it a remote possibility but I still don't see it.

Of the power conferences, I believe only the SEC and the Big 12 were in two time zones before realignment. And the Big 12 only had Colorado outside of the Central. Now 4 of the 5 are in two time zones but none are in 3 and I don't think they ever will be.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                      They would have to make some big investment guarantees. I would prefer San Diego State. I'd like to see a second major conference in SoCal.
                      I'd be fine with that as well.

The Cali PAC schools sneer at SDSU, but that would open up a nice recruiting area for the Big 12.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                        Big 12 made the decision to go east with WVU. I see very little chance they spread across three time zones to take BYU and even less chance they would go all four with UNLV or SDSU paired with BYU. I guess football only makes it a remote possibility but I still don't see it.

Of the power conferences, I believe only the SEC and the Big 12 were in two time zones before realignment. And the Big 12 only had Colorado outside of the Central. Now 4 of the 5 are in two time zones but none are in 3 and I don't think they ever will be.
                        I don't get why this wouldn't work for football.

You get your conference on TV all day and some nice night games if you want for more exposure.

Comment

Big 12 made the decision to go east with WVU. I see very little chance they spread across three time zones to take BYU and even less chance they would go all four with UNLV or SDSU paired with BYU. I guess football only makes it a remote possibility but I still don't see it.

You might be overestimating the importance of time zones. That isn't a luxury for conferences that would potentially want to add teams. But you could be right. The Big-12 could go and get Cincinnati, UCF, or USF. Deep down my wish is for the ACC to go to 14 and WVU bails from the Big-12.

Comment

I don't think a decision on who the Big 12 would select will be based on time zones.
                            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                              You might be overestimating the importance of time zones. That isn't a luxury for conferences that would potentially want to add teams. But you could be right. The Big-12 could go and get Cincinnati, UCF, or USF. Deep down my wish is for the ACC to go to 14 and WVU bails from the Big-12.
                              Wouldn't they have to forfeit their media rights?
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Wouldn't they have to forfeit their media rights?
                                I haven't thought to deeply about this. No details necessary in fantasy.

Comment

Working...
                                X