The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Clearly the University of Utah supports BYU policies. They had their chance to forfeit playing BYU but welcomed them anyway. Of course, it was one of the few chances for Utah to get primetime national exposure instead of being one of those late games on the PAC-12 network (that no one, it seems, can find on their cable/sat). They gave into the temptation instead of standing up for gay rights. I'm sorry. I tried to warn you, man. Now we are all in this together.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      Actually that's not true. My preference is for BYU to come out of the Middle Ages and thereby qualify for Big 12 admission.
      And by Middle Ages you mean 2012 when even Obama and Hillary were still against gay marriage.

Kind of crazy how fast things have changed. 20 years ago you have DOMA when every politician at a national level was against gay marriage. 5 years ago you still have a ton of liberal Democrats against gay marriage.

Now that position is bigoted and worthy of boycotts. Things change fast.

Comment

• O.M.G. Lebowski and Cardiac, I did not expect this from you of all people. Do you ever think about what your grandchildren will think reading what you post here? Of all the posters here, I did not expect this from you. You two of all the members of this community ought to be celebrating the NCAA's demonstration that collegiate athletics is not about TV and sneaker contracts. But you care more about your football spectatorship. Enjoy your independence! It's going to be for eternity (barring a modern revelation altering the honor code).
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

O.M.G. Lebowski and Cardiac, I did not expect this from you of all people. Do you ever think about what your grandchildren will think reading what you post here? Of all the posters here, I did not expect this from you. You two of all the members of this community ought to be celebrating the NCAA's demonstration that collegiate athletics is not about TV and sneaker contracts. But you care more about your football spectatorship. Enjoy your independence! It's going to be for eternity (barring a modern revelation altering the honor code).
          Because I laughed at Uncle Ted's little joke at your expense?

OMG, you are right. I hope my grandkids never see THAT!
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

O.M.G. Lebowski and Cardiac, I did not expect this from you of all people. Do you ever think about what your grandchildren will think reading what you post here? Of all the posters here, I did not expect this from you. You two of all the members of this community ought to be celebrating the NCAA's demonstration that collegiate athletics is not about TV and sneaker contracts. But you care more about your football spectatorship. Enjoy your independence! It's going to be for eternity (barring a modern revelation altering the honor code).
            One thing I know my grandkids will be amazed at is how long we suffered your insufferable arrogance and tone-deafness. So, in a way, you're making us look very sympathetic. Thanks!

Even that you believe two generations from now anyone will care what we write here shows just how full of yourself you are.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Oh brother, nothing about what the NCAA did was brave. TV and sneaker contracts were not put at risk.
              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                Oh brother, nothing about what the NCAA did was brave. TV and sneaker contracts were not put at risk.
                To the contrary, it was meant to help those contracts succeed
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                  Yeah, if the NCAA had any courage they would have canceled the NCAA final four championship in Houston. Wimps.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

This is the coup de grace for BYU. I'm sorry. I tried to warn you.

http://nyti.ms/2cEAWeK
                    Crap!! I had heard rumors that the changes were made to the Mariott Center so we could host a final four. Guess we can't now. I was also in hopes we might get the FB National Championship at LES some day. I should have listened to you. I don't think we get either one now.

Comment

• The B12 needs help.

EDIT: Coach Bronco needs it too.
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• LOL... College Game Day going to Louisville this week.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...ille-get-away/
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

This is the coup de grace for BYU. I'm sorry. I tried to warn you.

http://nyti.ms/2cEAWeK
                          NCAA's official statement on the matter...

NCAA to relocate championships from North Carolina for 2016-17
                          [...]
                          “The NCAA Constitution clearly states our values of inclusion and gender equity, along with the membership’s expectation that we as the Board of Governors protect those values for all,” said Susquehanna University President Jay Lemons, vice chair of the Board of Governors and chair of the ad hoc committee on diversity and inclusion. “Our membership comprises many different types of schools – public, private, secular, faith-based – and we believe this action appropriately reflects the collective will of that diverse group.”

Historically, the Association has taken steps to ensure its championship environment is consistent with its values. The NCAA bans championships in states where governments display the Confederate battle flag or authorize sports wagering and at schools that use hostile and abusive Native American imagery.
                          http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...rolina-2016-17

The University of Utah is out for hosting these championship games... The drum and feature is the Utes' sacred symbol of Mother Earth and the University of Utah puts it on underwear!

Is it time for Utah's drum and feather logo to go?

It isn't seeing her tribe's name or sacred symbols on underwear that hurts Monique Thacker the most. It isn't the occasional images of Utah Ute fans in headdresses partying in makeshift tepees that grate on Cameron Cuch.

It isn't even the beating of drums, the Utes' sacred symbol of Mother Earth, during University of Utah sporting events that stings tribal Utes.

As insensitive as these portrayals of their culture seem, they're not what cause the most damage.

Most damaging, they say, is their belief that the U. embraces their sacred symbols but not them.

More and more, Utes such as Thacker and Cuch say their tribal name and the drum and feather emblazoned on U. athletic apparel symbolize an uncomfortable compromise their tribe believes it made to gain mainstream exposure it hoped would help keep their flagging culture relevant.

The U., they say, isn't keeping its part of the deal.

The school has a "moral obligation" to do more, Cuch said. "They profit off our name, but we don't see much in return."
                          http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?...-drum.html.csp

I tried to warn you!
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            NCAA's official statement on the matter...

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...rolina-2016-17

The University of Utah is out for hosting these championship games... The drum and feature is the Utes' sacred symbol of Mother Earth and the University of Utah puts it on underwear!

http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?...-drum.html.csp

I tried to warn you!
                            Poor SU. How will he ever be able to face his grandkids?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              By wearing his drum and feather underwear?
                              Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                              - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                              - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                You guys should pay off the lgbtqqq groups.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                                "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Working...
                                X