The Official Jimmerphilia Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • HuskyFreeNorthwest
    Time to camp
    • Nov 2008
    • 26082

    #3901
    Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
    What doesn't he get? You do realize that Dame Lillard is one of the worst defenders in the NBA and seems to be doing just fine in Portland.
    Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
    BYU fans often seem to mistake bad with Jimmer bad when it comes to defense. When the discussion of his defense comes up, it's always like "oh yeah, someone else is a bad defender as well." But there's a failure to grasp exactly how bad when it comes to Jimmer. His on/off team defense was terrible through years 1 and 2, as were his opponent PER numbers. Last year ESPN did this great study on defenders combining a whole bunch of defensive metrics (on/off numbers, synergy, etc.) and he ranked 2nd worst out of all wing defenders (1-3 spots, not just point guard) in the entire league (he did beat out Mike Miller). This year he ranks dead last among point guards in defensive RPM (on/off numbers adjusted to isolate the player). I forget whether that was 64 out of 64, or 68 out of 68, but yeah, the very last spot.

    So really, when it comes to bad defenders the last handful of years, there are few, if any, players in his class. On the flip side, he can clearly score. This isn't an Ammo situation, who never showed he could score at an NBA level. Jimmer can absolutely score at an acceptable level. He just needs to move the needle on his defense from Jimmer bad to bad. And I actually think Chicago could be a good place for him. Middling size/length and poor lateral footspeed is not going to take you very far as a one-on-one defender in the NBA, but Chicago is so good on D because of its team principles. They don't ask guys to guard on an island, they ask guys to guard within a team concept. He can learn that stuff because he's bright enough. I'm optimistic that he'll find a good niche in Chicago.
    Junkie messed with Grace's man crush, Grace doesn't take lightly to people not respecting the DL.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

    Comment

    • cougjunkie
      *Banned*
      • Nov 2008
      • 23223

      #3902
      Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      Junkie messed with Grace's man crush, Grace doesn't take lightly to people not respecting the DL.
      Now we know why he didnt throw out Lillard defensive numbers.

      Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
      *Banned*

      Comment

      • Non Sequitur
        Where did I put my bodkin
        • Nov 2008
        • 5773

        #3903
        What was his assist to turnover ratio last night?
        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

        Comment

        • MarkGrace
          Grooveshark dick tease
          • Dec 2008
          • 31546

          #3904
          Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
          What was his assist to turnover ratio last night?
          Ask smr, he might be tracking that. lol.
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

          Comment

          • MarkGrace
            Grooveshark dick tease
            • Dec 2008
            • 31546

            #3905
            Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            Junkie messed with Grace's man crush, Grace doesn't take lightly to people not respecting the DL.
            G-Time is my man-crush!

            Now we know why he didnt throw out Lillard defensive numbers.
            Nah, I just didn't have access. Can't get on sports sites at work anymore (thankfully CS isn't recognized as a sports site! ) to check. I'm just familiar with where Jimmer stands because I've had this conversation so many times with people seemingly refusing to accept reality. Here's Dame:

            On/off defense: +.2 better with him off the floor
            Opponent PER: 17.2
            Defensive RPM: -2.03 (59 out of 87 point guards)

            Here's Jimmer:

            On/off defense: +4.8 better with him off the floor
            Opponent PER: 19.5 (numbers better at the 2, but few minutes there)
            Defensive RPM: -5.37 (87 out of 87 point guards)
            And of course this from last year: "Finally, because I know you're wondering: Ranking 172nd, and last, is Miami's Mike Miller, just behind Sacramento's Jimmer Fredette and the Lakers' Chris Duhon."


            Like I said, you can be a bad defender, and still be a good ways away from Jimmer bad. That -5.37 he's posting in defensive RPM isn't just the worst at the PG spot and a good margin worse than even the 86th spot, it's the worst in the entire league. Only one other player in the league has a mark worse than -5.0 (Byron Mullens). And it's not just a numbers game we're talking about here -- he's on his third coach now that has refused to make him a rotation guy for the same reason. So I wasn't trying to make a comparison strictly between him and Dame, just pointing out that he's much worse than even bad, since the common Jimmer defense is to point out that some other player is also a bad defender. There seems to be a failure to appreciate just how flammable he's been.

            But I do hope he can up his game from Jimmer bad to just regular bad. If he does that he should find a rotation spot because his offense definitely merits time on the floor (scoring rate over 20 the last two years and a TS% of 58% this year). And I am optimistic that Thibs can help. Kyle Korver is an example of a guy who despite poor lateral footspeed is an adequate team defender and therefore not nearly the net negative on the defensive end that some people think he is when they see him get roasted in isolation. Team defense doesn't place the same demand on physical attributes and hopefully Jimmer can become adequate on that end to start earning regular minutes. Obviously I'd love to see him get there.
            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

            Comment

            • scottie
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 5247

              #3906
              Jimmer Fans Who Watch Every Game Facebook group, currently 44 members (and growing -- 10 minutes ago it was at 43).

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #3907
                Originally posted by scottie View Post
                Jimmer Fans Who Watch Every Game Facebook group, currently 44 members (and growing -- 10 minutes ago it was at 43).
                are likes the same thing as members of the group?
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • cougjunkie
                  *Banned*
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 23223

                  #3908
                  Originally posted by scottie View Post
                  Jimmer Fans Who Watch Every Game Facebook group, currently 44 members (and growing -- 10 minutes ago it was at 43).
                  I have not missed a single game of Jimmers career. I have watched every single minute he has played in the NBA.
                  *Banned*

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #3909
                    Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    I have not missed a single game of Jimmers career. I have watched every single minute he has played in the NBA.
                    You've watched 50-60 minutes of basketball in the past few years??
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • scottie
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 5247

                      #3910
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      are likes the same thing as members of the group?
                      Yep.

                      Comment

                      • Art Vandelay
                        Striving for mediocrity
                        • Jul 2009
                        • 10516

                        #3911
                        In retrospect one of St. Jimmer's greatest accomplishments may have been scoring on Kawai, with relative ease. Leonard is a fantastic defender, much better than the more lauded Paul George, IMO.

                        I was pondering tonight what would have happened if Kawai and Jimmer's draft position would have been switched. I think KL would have been a mess for Sacramento, he is quiet, unselfish, and excels at playing defense (basically, all the things no one on the Kings does). He would have likely learned, as does everyone, I better get my shot when I can, because Tyreke and Boogie sure aren't going to give my any easy assists. I think Pop would have found a way to utilize Jimmer's shooting. In fact, San Antonio would be the best landing spot for him next year.


                        * Weird. I don't know how this ended up in the other thread

                        Comment

                        • Green Monstah
                          Royal Rooter
                          • Aug 2010
                          • 13955

                          #3912
                          I now want Jimmer to succeed for one reason only--to stick it to Colin Cowherd and Rick Reilly.
                          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                          "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                          Comment

                          • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                            Time to camp
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 26082

                            #3913
                            Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                            I now want Jimmer to succeed for one reason only--to stick it to Colin Cowherd and Rick Reilly.
                            Did something happen?
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

                            Comment

                            • Green Monstah
                              Royal Rooter
                              • Aug 2010
                              • 13955

                              #3914
                              Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                              Did something happen?
                              In the last two weeks, Cowherd has taken shots at Jimmer twice in his "two for the road" segment. One regarding "snap judgments" like the one he made about John Wall. He said he made the same snap judgment about Jimmer that proved to be true. About a week later, he went on a rant about how he's sick of being forced by the media to love a particular player, and mentioned Jimmer twice. Also, I'm still pissed that Reilly asked Jimmer for his $5k back after the Kings cut him.
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                              "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                              Comment

                              • smokymountainrain
                                Impressive Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 22593

                                #3915
                                17 pts, 3 assists, on 6-9 FGs, 3-4 3pt in 30 minutes against the defending Eastern Conference Champion Miami Heat on Saturday.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

                                Comment

                                Working...