The 2012-2013 Running Utes of Utah

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Top Ute
    Junior Member
    • May 2010
    • 2194

    #91
    Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
    Yes, it is an extraordinary thing to ask a kid to do that. I don't think I have ever seen it.

    In response, one approach is to say, "Wow, what a shame. I wonder what happened?"

    Another is yours: To blast away at the head coach for being a horrible human being, as you have done. But you have such a hair trigger about LK that it's not surprising at all. You are becoming very predictable in that regard. I'm not sure you have ever given Krysko the benefit of the doubt on a single issue, but I may be wrong about that. Mostly you seem to foam at the mouth the moment any negative news emerges.

    Another is the Larry Lap-dog approach: to be skeptical about surface reports and employ a little reason. "Gee, would Krysko do that just at the drop of a hat? He must have known that to take that action, he'd be exposing the program to terrible PR and would risk hurting recruiting. Hmmm. One possibility if that the recruit's injury is much different than he let on. But I admit I am just speculating about that, so I'll say I think that is what happened." This approach, which I admittedly chose, is much more accepting of ambiguity than your "ready, fire, aim" approach, and you may not like it, but it works for me.

    1. I'm curious as to where I've said Larry kicks his dog, etc. He's reneged on a deal. You're the one that's taking and making this personal. I've kept my words simply on Larry's duties and expectations as a basketball coach. That's fair game.

    2. Have you been paying attention to Utah basketball for the last 12 months? This isn't a rhetorical question. What's happened with Hearlihy isn't a first-time occurence -- it's just the stage has changed (ie, letting go of a player before he gets here instead of while he's here). We let Dom Lee go last May and never filled his spot. We saw the departure of two good players in O'Brien and Glover for clearly lesser situations. We had to toss Jiggy after Larry publicly painted himself into a corner on matters of player conduct.

    And you expect me to give Larry the benefit of the doubt when he's so clearly mismanaged the roster in the past? The question you want me to ask myself is something I could have done after each of the above-mentioned scenarios. I don't need to ask myself that question anymore -- Larry's track record (until proven otherwise) leaves me to recourse but to blame the common denominator here, and that's Larry.

    The only thing more predictable than my responses to Larry's bungling of the roster is the fact that Larry can be counted on to bungle the roster. Another prediction: You'll put everything on the players and absolve Larry of everything.

    Comment

    • Blueintheface
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2009
      • 15382

      #92
      Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      Seems like you are conveniently picking and choosing when to stop at admitting you don't know much about what happened and when to go ahead and come to a speculative conclusion despite not knowing much about what happened.
      Without agreeing or disagreeing with your statement re: LAU let me just say this: CUF is defined by the picking and choosing of "facts/speculation". Most arguments on here consist of wild speculation mingled with scripture. It's entertaining but hardly convincing.
      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

      "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

      Comment

      • DrumNFeather
        Invisible Swordsman
        • Nov 2008
        • 8854

        #93
        Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
        Without agreeing or disagreeing with your statement re: LAU let me just say this: CUF is defined by the picking and choosing of "facts/speculation". Most arguments on here consist of wild speculation mingled with scripture. It's entertaining but hardly convincing.
        Finally an accurate description of the Foyer!
        "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

        Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

        Comment

        • LA Ute
          Receiver of Memory
          • Nov 2008
          • 19512

          #94
          Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          Seems like you are conveniently picking and choosing when to stop at admitting you don't know much about what happened and when to go ahead and come to a speculative conclusion despite not knowing much about what happened.
          I think you have it wrong. I'm just contrasting two approaches to negative, but incomplete information about an institution - one in which the recipient of the info is invested emotionally. I'd rather give Krysko the benefit of the doubt. TU doesn't want to do that. I prefer my approach, he likes his.

          Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
          1. I'm curious as to where I've said Larry kicks his dog, etc. He's reneged on a deal. You're the one that's taking and making this personal. I've kept my words simply on Larry's duties and expectations as a basketball coach. That's fair game.
          Well, some people would consider calling one's rhetorical opponent "lap dogs" an ad hominem attack, but I know you were saying it playfully, affectionately, and in jest. Right?

          2. Have you been paying attention to Utah basketball for the last 12 months? This isn't a rhetorical question. What's happened with Hearlihy isn't a first-time occurence -- it's just the stage has changed (ie, letting go of a player before he gets here instead of while he's here). We let Dom Lee go last May and never filled his spot. We saw the departure of two good players in O'Brien and Glover for clearly lesser situations. We had to toss Jiggy after Larry publicly painted himself into a corner on matters of player conduct.

          And you expect me to give Larry the benefit of the doubt when he's so clearly mismanaged the roster in the past? The question you want me to ask myself is something I could have done after each of the above-mentioned scenarios. I don't need to ask myself that question anymore -- Larry's track record (until proven otherwise) leaves me to recourse but to blame the common denominator here, and that's Larry.

          The only thing more predictable than my responses to Larry's bungling of the roster is the fact that Larry can be counted on to bungle the roster. Another prediction: You'll put everything on the players and absolve Larry of everything.
          Oh, keep an eye on me and see. I myself intend to wait and see, as I've always said. I did the same with Majerus, Giac and Boylen until it became clear a change was needed. It seems to me you've thought from the beginning that Krysko should never have been hired and that almost everything he's done has been an egregious error. Weren't you even talking about firing him early in the season? Or am I mistaken about that?

          But back to the case at hand. Just for the sake of argument, assume Hearlihy was not fully honest about his injury. What should any coach do in that situation?

          Last edited by LA Ute; 04-11-2012, 01:44 PM.
          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
          ― W.H. Auden


          "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


          "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

          Comment

          • Hsaru
            Junior Member
            • Mar 2009
            • 1109

            #95
            Loveridge is probably asking around on how this renegging on LOIs works.

            Comment

            • myboynoah
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 21719

              #96
              Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              Seems like you are conveniently picking and choosing when to stop at admitting you don't know much about what happened and when to go ahead and come to a speculative conclusion despite not knowing much about what happened.
              Yeah, if someone knows something, just let us all know already. Did the kid lie to UofUtah?

              Also, bty, it's being reported that Marshall Henderson signed a LoI with Ole Miss today.
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

              For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

              Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

              Comment

              • Top Ute
                Junior Member
                • May 2010
                • 2194

                #97
                Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                I think you have it wrong. I'm just contrasting two approaches to negative, but incomplete information about an institution - one in which the recipient of the info is invested emotionally. I'd rather give Krysko the benefit of the doubt. 1. TU doesn't want to do that. I prefer my approach, he likes his.



                Well, some people would consider calling one's rhetorical opponent "lap dogs" an ad hominem attack, but I know you were saying it playfully, affectionately, and in jest. Right?



                Oh, keep an eye on me and see. I myself intend to wait and see, as I've always said. I did the same with Majerus, Giac and Boylen until it became clear a change was needed 2.. It seems to me you've thought from the beginning that should never have been hired and that almost everything he's done has been an egregious error. Weren't you even talking about firing him early in the season? Or am I mistaken about that?

                But back to the case at hand. Just for the sake of argument, assume Hearlihy was not fully honest about his injury.3. What should any coach do in that situation?

                1. I'd love to give Larry the benefit of the doubt, but almost nothing that's happened under his watch is giving me reason to believe things are getting better. Getting Crump and Lenz would be significant, but we've given our opponents in recruiting a huge piece of ammunition to use against us.

                2. The slides of those three coaches were far more gradual (EDIT: They also had huge success immediately, something missing from Larry's resume). And sometimes, it's apparent much more quickly that a mistake has been made. The mistakes Larry has made have never been made on this scale by his predecessors.

                3. Hearlihy shot over 50 percent from 3 after coming back from injury. You might as well ask me to assume how I'd view Larry if Shabazz Muhammad gets on ESPN tonight and picks Utah; it's an assumption that has little merit or basis for this conversation.

                Based on his production as a senior, it's clear something happened to Hearlihy in mid-season. Every coach in America would have his integrity questioned for pulling such a move after an LOI is signed. Those are the risks inherited in recruiting.

                Also, we're supposed to believe, through Hearlihy, that the staff's decision is solely about his injury, and not something that reflects poorly on the staff -- like offering a player who wasn't worthy of a D-1 scholarship to a high-major school.
                Last edited by Top Ute; 04-11-2012, 01:36 PM.

                Comment

                • Top Ute
                  Junior Member
                  • May 2010
                  • 2194

                  #98
                  Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                  Yeah, if someone knows something, just let us all know already. Did the kid lie to UofUtah?

                  Also, bty, it's being reported that Marshall Henderson signed a LoI with Ole Miss today.
                  He gave a verbal several weeks ago. The signing is a formality.

                  Comment

                  • Scorcho
                    Junior Member
                    • Aug 2011
                    • 835

                    #99
                    Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                    Yeah, if someone knows something, just let us all know already. Did the kid lie to UofUtah?
                    The U's side of the story is out there (at least according to Ute Zone), but it's on a paid recruiting site. If it's true, I support Krystko's actions.

                    Let the Herlihy Boy water your plants.

                    Comment

                    • Blueintheface
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 15382

                      #100
                      Originally posted by Scorcho View Post
                      The U's side of the story is out there (at least according to Ute Zone), but it's on a paid recruiting site. If it's true, I support Krystko's actions.

                      Let the Herlihy Boy water your plants.
                      I'm going to use a common online practice called simple manipulation. Get ready...

                      You can't tease and then use pay-site as a crutch. Either share the information or don't post anything. Lame.
                      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                      "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                      Comment

                      • Donuthole
                        Official Outgayer
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 25266

                        #101
                        In November, Studio City (Calif.) Harvard Westlake senior basketball star Josh Hearlihy signed on to spend his future at the University of Utah, spurning the scholarship offers of other Division I programs like Wyoming, Santa Clara and San Diego, among others, to sign on to play with the Utes. Now, months later, Utah and men's basketball coach Larry Krystowiak are trying to wriggle their way out of the scholarship they promised the teen, just because he had a rough, injury plagued senior season that was related to a health condition completely beyond his control: He simply was growing too fast. Continue reading →


                        Be sure to read the comments!
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                        There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                        Comment

                        • Blueintheface
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 15382

                          #102
                          Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          Their magical underwear are to tight.
                          These are often my favorites.
                          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                          "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                          Comment

                          • Scorcho
                            Junior Member
                            • Aug 2011
                            • 835

                            #103
                            this probably puts pressure on Larry K to speak out, but if its at the risk of damaging JH's future recruitability that's a tough decison to make.

                            Comment

                            • Blueintheface
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 15382

                              #104
                              Another from a "Utes fan"

                              I'm a Utes fan, and I just lost a lot of respect for them. The wife and I will not purchase the season tickets this year
                              "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                              "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                              Comment

                              • LA Ute
                                Receiver of Memory
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 19512

                                #105
                                Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
                                1. I'd love to give Larry the benefit of the doubt, but almost nothing that's happened under his watch is giving me reason to believe things are getting better. Getting Crump and Lenz would be significant, but we've given our opponents in recruiting a huge piece of ammunition to use against us.
                                That does worry me. I hope they have a good story to tell other recruits. We probably won't be welcome on the Harvard-Westlake campus again anytime soon. This perspective is interesting:

                                One club coach in Utah, who asked not to be named, said the move might set a bad precedent for recruits.

                                "The problem you have is, can you trust the offer now?" the coach said. "So, once you sign the kid and everything is good, can you trust the fact that he’s actually signed you?"

                                The coach said Krystkowiak may be doing Hearlihy a favor, to the extent that he’s not bringing him into a situation where the coach has decided he won’t fit in.
                                2. The slides of those three coaches were far more gradual (EDIT: They also had huge success immediately, something missing from Larry's resume). And sometimes, it's apparent much more quickly that a mistake has been made. The mistakes Larry has made have never been made on this scale by his predecessors.
                                You and I disagree on this. Let's just agree to disagree.

                                3. Hearlihy shot over 50 percent from 3 after coming back from injury.
                                But I read in Sondheimer's blog post that Hearlihy played in only 6 games after coming back in his senior year. Seems potentially significant, no?

                                Based on his production as a senior, it's clear something happened to Hearlihy in mid-season. Every coach in America would have his integrity questioned for pulling such a move after an LOI is signed. Those are the risks inherited in recruiting.
                                In every case? Can you imagine any case in which a coach wouldn't have his integrity questioned?

                                Also, we're supposed to believe, through Hearlihy, that the staff's decision is solely about his injury, and not something that reflects poorly on the staff -- like offering a player who wasn't worthy of a D-1 scholarship to a high-major school.
                                Clearly something went terribly wrong here. I really feel bad for Josh Hearlihy and hope things work out for him. I'm just not ready to grab a pitchfork and march on the Huntsman Center over this.
                                Last edited by LA Ute; 04-11-2012, 04:13 PM.
                                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                                ― W.H. Auden


                                "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                                "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                                Comment

                                Working...