The 2012-2013 Running Utes of Utah

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LA Ute
    Receiver of Memory
    • Nov 2008
    • 19512

    #46
    Originally posted by UteStar View Post
    Press release from yesterday says that George Matthews has been granted his release. Not surprising but still disappointing. I really liked his abilities, but he doesn't seem to have much of an ability to grasp organized offensive and defensive basketball sense. Oh well.
    Reportedly Matthews' dad was a problem, thought his son was a one-and-done and blamed Krysko for messing up George's chances.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden


    "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    Comment

    • SeattleUte
      Faith crisis consultant
      • Nov 2008
      • 20837

      #47
      One of the reasons the wing guys are leaving is LSU transfer Aaron Dotson who should play about 35 mins a game and be the star. He was no. 45 on the ESPN 100 list. He's possibly the most hgihly recruited player Utah has ever had except for Danny Vranes and Britton Johnson. How many times have the Utes had two ESPN 100 guys on the roster?
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

      --Jonathan Swift

      Comment

      • UtahDan
        *
        • Nov 2008
        • 14496

        #48
        Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
        One of the reasons the wing guys are leaving is LSU transfer Aaron Dotson who should play about 35 mins a game and be the star. He was no. 45 on the ESPN 100 list. He's possibly the most hgihly recruited player Utah has ever had except for Danny Vranes and Britton Johnson. How many times have the Utes had two ESPN 100 guys on the roster?
        Stop it. You are making me feel hopeful.

        Comment

        • Blueintheface
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 15382

          #49
          Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
          Stop it. You are making me feel hopeful.
          Clearly he's a better recruiter. There is definitely room for optimism.
          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

          "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

          Comment

          • SeattleUte
            Faith crisis consultant
            • Nov 2008
            • 20837

            #50
            Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
            Stop it. You are making me feel hopeful.
            Dotson was a star at Rainier Heach HS here in Seattle; he was recruited by everybody all over the country. Romar loved him. Ask Grace. He knows. Dotson and Dean were teammates at Rainier and are best friends. It has the makings of a great story for the Final Four week. Now all we need is Jabari.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

            --Jonathan Swift

            Comment

            • Hsaru
              Junior Member
              • Mar 2009
              • 1109

              #51
              Is Dijon Farr another "positive" transfer for the Utes? 7ppg and 5rpg seems solid.

              Comment

              • Blueintheface
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 15382

                #52
                Originally posted by Hsaru View Post
                Is Dijon Farr another "positive" transfer for the Utes? 7ppg and 5rpg seems solid.
                And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

                Jake is a pretty huge beam, Hsaru.
                "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                Comment

                • UteStar
                  Sexiest Poster in Town
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 2419

                  #53
                  Originally posted by Hsaru View Post
                  Is Dijon Farr another "positive" transfer for the Utes? 7ppg and 5rpg seems solid.

                  I liked Dijon. He was a good solid player. There were questions on whether or not he would be on the team next year, but after some of the announced transfers, I thought he would stick around. Too bad.

                  I am fine with Odunsi, Dawson and Matthews gone. I would have liked to have seen Storey stick around and be a decent backup for years to come. I am disappointed to lose Dijon. He hustled. He was often overmatched this year, but he had some very solid games. I would have liked to have had Hines around for his final year.

                  It looks like Cedric will be around next year. I like him in a role of playing 15 minutes a game and hit some shots and play solid defense. There is no question that Loveridge, Olsen, Foster, Dean and Dotson are a step up to the guys we lost...Foster, Washburn and Cedric will hopefully all be a better version of themselves next year as well. Here is to hoping that some of the new recruits pan out as well.

                  Comment

                  • Top Ute
                    Junior Member
                    • May 2010
                    • 2194

                    #54
                    Originally posted by UteStar View Post
                    I liked Dijon. He was a good solid player. There were questions on whether or not he would be on the team next year, but after some of the announced transfers, I thought he would stick around. Too bad.

                    I am fine with Odunsi, Dawson and Matthews gone. I would have liked to have seen Storey stick around and be a decent backup for years to come. I am disappointed to lose Dijon. He hustled. He was often overmatched this year, but he had some very solid games. I would have liked to have had Hines around for his final year.

                    It looks like Cedric will be around next year. I like him in a role of playing 15 minutes a game and hit some shots and play solid defense. There is no question that Loveridge, Olsen, Foster, Dean and Dotson are a step up to the guys we lost...Foster, Washburn and Cedric will hopefully all be a better version of themselves next year as well. Here is to hoping that some of the new recruits pan out as well.
                    I'll trade Farr for Renan Lenz any day of the week.

                    If we're trading Farr for the Ambrosino kid from SLCC and this is Larry's way of justifying Norm Parrish's spot on the staff, I'll be disappointed.

                    I'm afraid it's the latter, seeing Lenz still has two trips to take (USC and Auburn).

                    We need a big-time scorer (Crump) and a big-time rebounder (Lenz). We'll threaten 20 wins (middling postseason tournament included) if we get those two guys.

                    Comment

                    • LA Ute
                      Receiver of Memory
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19512

                      #55
                      Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
                      I'll trade Farr for Renan Lenz any day of the week.

                      If we're trading Farr for the Ambrosino kid from SLCC and this is Larry's way of justifying Norm Parrish's spot on the staff, I'll be disappointed.

                      I'm afraid it's the latter, seeing Lenz still has two trips to take (USC and Auburn).

                      We need a big-time scorer (Crump) and a big-time rebounder (Lenz). We'll threaten 20 wins (middling postseason tournament included) if we get those two guys.
                      I don't usually deal in recruiting rumors, but I can tell you that Utah is going very hard after Crump and Lenz (Lenz is visiting on April 20, and that will be his final visit to any program). Someone who has spoken to Lenz at length thinks he's a real possibility. Lenz has a prior relationship with Krysko, to boot. So fingers are crossed.
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden


                      "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                      "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                      Comment

                      • U-Ute
                        Non member
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 2071

                        #56
                        Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
                        I'll trade Farr for Renan Lenz any day of the week.

                        If we're trading Farr for the Ambrosino kid from SLCC and this is Larry's way of justifying Norm Parrish's spot on the staff, I'll be disappointed.

                        I'm afraid it's the latter, seeing Lenz still has two trips to take (USC and Auburn).

                        We need a big-time scorer (Crump) and a big-time rebounder (Lenz). We'll threaten 20 wins (middling postseason tournament included) if we get those two guys.
                        I think we're already pretty strong inside with Foster, Washburn, and Bachylla. But Lenz would bring a nice bit of nastiness.

                        If we land Crump, along with Loveridge and Dean on the outside (I don't know about Dotson or Seymour), it makes for a really balanced inside/out.

                        Comment

                        • U-Ute
                          Non member
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 2071

                          #57
                          Loveridge had a great showing at the Ball Is Life tournament. He scored 26 points in the AA game and won the 3-point shooting contest.

                          Dean, Dotson, Loveridge, and Crump could make for a fantastic group.

                          Hoyo may have to give up his crusade.

                          Comment

                          • Top Ute
                            Junior Member
                            • May 2010
                            • 2194

                            #58
                            Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
                            I think we're already pretty strong inside with Foster, Washburn, and Bachylla. But Lenz would bring a nice bit of nastiness.

                            If we land Crump, along with Loveridge and Dean on the outside (I don't know about Dotson or Seymour), it makes for a really balanced inside/out.
                            We've got depth at center with Washburn and Foster, but Bachyinski has two strikes against him at the 4 -- he's coming off a mission and he didn't exactly light up SUU while he was there (although I for the life of me can't figure out why he didn't get more minutes there. His highlight reel showed a kid enough to get him 20-plus minutes in his low-major league).

                            Our situation at the 4 is a long ways from ideal. Having Lenz would significantly upgrade the position immediately, remove a lot of question marks and let Bachynski and Olson get their legs back at their pace.

                            Comment

                            • Jarid in Cedar
                              CS Institutional Memory
                              • Jun 2009
                              • 13234

                              #59
                              Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
                              We've got depth at center with Washburn and Foster, but Bachyinski has two strikes against him at the 4 -- he's coming off a mission and he didn't exactly light up SUU while he was there (although I for the life of me can't figure out why he didn't get more minutes there. His highlight reel showed a kid enough to get him 20-plus minutes in his low-major league).
                              Two words...Roger Reid
                              "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                              "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                              "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                              -Rick Majerus

                              Comment

                              • U-Ute
                                Non member
                                • Aug 2009
                                • 2071

                                #60
                                Originally posted by The Notorious J.I.C. View Post
                                Two words...Roger Reid
                                Didn't he just "retire"? (ie: "You should retire before we fire you.")

                                Comment

                                Working...