The 2012-2013 Running Utes of Utah

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SeattleUte
    Faith crisis consultant
    • Nov 2008
    • 20837

    #121
    Originally posted by Cutty View Post
    Well, I'm not really sold on Krysko's ability to evaluate recruits just yet. He talked up last year's crappy class as well.
    No he didn't.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

    Comment

    • Cutty
      Junior Member
      • Mar 2011
      • 209

      #122
      No offense but he went on the radio to defuse the bad PR not to talk up Brandon Taylor. The fact he was even mentioned is pretty irrelevant. And he absolutely did talk about the JC guys last year. He had to talk about something.

      The larger point is I'm not getting excited about a recruit we beat out St Mary's and Duquesne for based on some 3 minute YouTube highlight clip. I learned my lesson on that with Giac and Boylen.

      He needs to do better with next year's class.

      Comment

      • LA Ute
        Receiver of Memory
        • Nov 2008
        • 19512

        #123
        I heard that on 1280 this morning Krysko said Hearlihy broke his back, but the Utah staff didn't know until after he'd signed. Spotty info, I know, but that's all I've heard. Is it true? Anyway, I suspect Krysko didn't like bringing stuff like that up but had to protect the program.
        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
        ― W.H. Auden


        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

        Comment

        • U-Ute
          Non member
          • Aug 2009
          • 2071

          #124
          Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
          I heard that on 1280 this morning Krysko said Hearlihy broke his back, but the Utah staff didn't know until after he'd signed. Spotty info, I know, but that's all I've heard. Is it true? Anyway, I suspect Krysko didn't like bringing stuff like that up but had to protect the program.
          Yes. He said that when they went to visit the family, he was having a conversation with the HS coaching staff, and they happened to mention that Hearlihy hadn't been able to participate in weight lifting for the last two years due lingering issues related to a broken back. That information, along with the lingering knee problems (he apparently underwent another surgery this week) compelled the coaching staff to ask for all of his medical records. IIRC, this would've been back in December or January. Then, in February, after reviewing his records, they made the decision that Josh was probably too injured to play and contacted the family about going to a prep school for a year.

          I believe the one thing the K did wrong was a lack of due diligence in this case. But I gotta think that there has to be a good faith effort on the part of the player about potential problems as well. Especially since Josh's mom is also a high school coach and understands the process. They must realize that once he got to the U, everything would become apparent, and he would've been out of there the next season. So I'm not really sure what the Hearlihy's were hoping would happen.

          He repeatedly said that if Josh goes to a prep school for a year and can show he can play on the D1 level, he would welcome Josh back. I don't know if K really feels that way or not. Larry may know that the family is probably too pissed to come back to Utah under any circumstances. So it somewhat of an empty gesture.

          U-Ute

          Comment

          • Blueintheface
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2009
            • 15382

            #125
            Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
            Yes. He said that when they went to visit the family, he was having a conversation with the HS coaching staff, and they happened to mention that Hearlihy hadn't been able to participate in weight lifting for the last two years due lingering issues related to a broken back. That information, along with the lingering knee problems (he apparently underwent another surgery this week) compelled the coaching staff to ask for all of his medical records. IIRC, this would've been back in December or January. Then, in February, after reviewing his records, they made the decision that Josh was probably too injured to play and contacted the family about going to a prep school for a year.

            I believe the one thing the K did wrong was a lack of due diligence in this case. But I gotta think that there has to be a good faith effort on the part of the player about potential problems as well. Especially since Josh's mom is also a high school coach and understands the process. They must realize that once he got to the U, everything would become apparent, and he would've been out of there the next season. So I'm not really sure what the Hearlihy's were hoping would happen.

            He repeatedly said that if Josh goes to a prep school for a year and can show he can play on the D1 level, he would welcome Josh back. I don't know if K really feels that way or not. Larry may know that the family is probably too pissed to come back to Utah under any circumstances. So it somewhat of an empty gesture.

            U-Ute
            I think they would be counting on not finding out until after his first year at the U and then by that time his play would erase all previous sins.

            BTW, this story sounds not only plausible to me, but likely. That K didn't throw him under the bus is something that shouldn't be ignored either. It doesn't paint the school in the best light but it sounds like the family definitely could have handled this better.

            On a side note, if true I bet that HS coach wishes he hadn't opened his mouth.
            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

            "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

            Comment

            • MartyFunkhouser
              Disciple of RNGesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 18750

              #126
              I'm concerned about Krysto not exercising due diligence to find all his injuries. I'm also concerned that a kid would hide such serious injuries, if this report is true.
              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
              --Kendrick Lamar

              Comment

              • Top Ute
                Junior Member
                • May 2010
                • 2194

                #127
                Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                I think they would be counting on not finding out until after his first year at the U and then by that time his play would erase all previous sins.

                BTW, this story sounds not only plausible to me, but likely. That K didn't throw him under the bus is something that shouldn't be ignored either. It doesn't paint the school in the best light but it sounds like the family definitely could have handled this better.

                On a side note, if true I bet that HS coach wishes he hadn't opened his mouth.
                I simply can't buy the idea that Hearlihy hid his injuries. He was not a can't-miss prospect -- the kind of kid you offer on the spot, no questions asked. He probably wasn't on the radar of this staff when it was assembled. It stands to reason that the staff took every advantage of several chances to see him play, and they are experts in spotting when something isn't right. Or they should be.

                There were plenty of instances in which the red flags could and would have shown themselves. Our staff either ignored them or couldn't see them. Not to mention the grapevine that exists in coaching circles (among prep, AAU and college coaches alike) that should have tipped our staff off long before Hearlihy missed a bunch of games.

                Hearlihy's injury history was known by the coaches, they claim, albeit in hindsight (covering tracks?). Did it reflect in Hearlihy's play over the summer? Evidently, not to the point where it scared off coaches, since he was offered and signed. And based on his production as a junior, it definitely wasn't evident, since he played in every game.

                Based on his junior year and (presumably) proper scouting in the summer, it wasn't until Hearlihy missed 14 games that the staff started to get cold feet. And it wasn't until after he came back from injury -- obviously at less than 100 percent -- that the staff decided to act.

                I am finding it nearly impossible to justify cutting Hearlihy loose. The coaching staff screwed the pooch big time in all of this.

                Comment

                • Surfah
                  Where's Wallace?
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 33726

                  #128
                  Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                  I'm concerned about Krysto not exercising due diligence to find all his injuries. I'm also concerned that a kid would hide such serious injuries, if this report is true.
                  These are serious injuries. I doubt that any kid could hide them. Did the Utes not know about the broken back? And why would the coaches bring it up months after the LOI? And we're to believe that the other schools were all similarly duped?
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • LA Ute
                    Receiver of Memory
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 19512

                    #129
                    Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                    These are serious injuries. I doubt that any kid could hide them. Did the Utes not know about the broken back? And why would the coaches bring it up months after the LOI? And we're to believe that the other schools were all similarly duped?
                    There is information that suggests answers to all your questions. Dig around a little and you shall know much more.
                    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                    ― W.H. Auden


                    "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                    Comment

                    • hostile
                      lollygagger
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 5736

                      #130
                      Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      These are serious injuries. I doubt that any kid could hide them. Did the Utes not know about the broken back? And why would the coaches bring it up months after the LOI? And we're to believe that the other schools were all similarly duped?
                      My guess is his "broken back" is a spondylolysis - basically a stress fracture in the spine. As long as there is no evidence of instability they are treated with rest/activity modification. Still, they don't always heal and can remain painful. This is pure speculation on my part.
                      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

                      "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

                      Comment

                      • Top Ute
                        Junior Member
                        • May 2010
                        • 2194

                        #131
                        These are serious injuries. I doubt that any kid could hide them. Did the Utes not know about the broken back? And why would the coaches bring it up months after the LOI? And we're to believe that the other schools were all similarly duped?
                        Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                        There is information that suggests answers to all your questions. Dig around a little and you shall know much more.
                        The answer to that question would constitute a violation prohibiting schools from publicly commenting on unsigned recruits, and Hearlihy isn't the kind of catch that coaches from other schools will comment on once he signs with another school.

                        You can dig to China and you're not going to find that out unless you have a personal relationship with coaches from other schools who pursued Hearlihy.

                        Comment

                        • LA Ute
                          Receiver of Memory
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 19512

                          #132
                          Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
                          The answer to that question would constitute a violation prohibiting schools from publicly commenting on unsigned recruits, and Hearlihy isn't the kind of catch that coaches from other schools will comment on once he signs with another school.

                          You can dig to China and you're not going to find that out unless you have a personal relationship with coaches from other schools who pursued Hearlihy.
                          I said to Surfah, "There is information that suggests answers to all your questions." Krysko did say that the lack of due diligence about Hearlihy was "on me." So the information available suggests that perhaps other schools were not "duped" or misled. Maybe they found out that Hearlihy hadn't lifted weights for two years because of his back. Seems like information Krysko should have been able to ferret out, unless there was some kind of conspiracy to hide it. I'm not a conspiracy guy myself. We'll probably never know what really happened, but based on what's been said I think LK blew the due diligence.
                          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                          ― W.H. Auden


                          "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                          "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                          Comment

                          • LA Ute
                            Receiver of Memory
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 19512

                            #133
                            I posted this in the wrong thread:

                            Krysko on Riley's show, talking about his latest recruits to commit:



                            Pretty interesting. Encouraging too.
                            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                            ― W.H. Auden


                            "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                            "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                            Comment

                            • U-Ute
                              Non member
                              • Aug 2009
                              • 2071

                              #134
                              Meet the 2012-2013 Runnin' Utes.

                              Returning from last year's team:
                              - David Foster (7-3, 243, Sr)
                              - Jason Washburn (6-10, 244, Sr)
                              - Cedric Martin (6-4, 200, Sr)
                              - Glen Dean (5-10, 175, Jr)
                              - Aaron Dotson (6-4, 204, Jr)

                              Newcomers:
                              - Jarred DuBois (6-3, 180, Sr)
                              - Dallin Bachynski (6-11, 255, So)
                              - Renan Lenz (6-9, 235, Jr)
                              - Jeremy Olsen (6-10, 235, RS Fr)
                              - Jordan Loveridge (6-6, 225, Fr)
                              - Justin Seymour (6-3, 195 , Fr)
                              - Brandon Taylor (5-10, 150, Fr)
                              - Dakari Tucker (6-6, 180, Fr)

                              All in all, clearly an upgrade from last year's team. I like the size and it seems like Dean, Taylor, and Loveridge were leaders on their teams. Lenz will bring a physical presence to practices that will certainly help. Plus, I think we have some decent outside shooting in Dean, Martin, Loveridge, Seymour, and Tucker.

                              DuBois enrolled in summer classes and will be participating on their trip to Brazil.

                              I'm not sure what to think of Dotson. The fact he bounced around for a couple of years has me hesitating, but obviously he worked hard in practices last year, otherwise he would've been swept out with the rest. I'm hopeful.

                              I'm optimistic.

                              U-Ute

                              Comment

                              • SeattleUte
                                Faith crisis consultant
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 20837

                                #135
                                Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
                                Meet the 2012-2013 Runnin' Utes.

                                Returning from last year's team:
                                - David Foster (7-3, 243, Sr)
                                - Jason Washburn (6-10, 244, Sr)
                                - Cedric Martin (6-4, 200, Sr)
                                - Glen Dean (5-10, 175, Jr)
                                - Aaron Dotson (6-4, 204, Jr)

                                Newcomers:
                                - Jarred DuBois (6-3, 180, Sr)
                                - Dallin Bachynski (6-11, 255, So)
                                - Renan Lenz (6-9, 235, Jr)
                                - Jeremy Olsen (6-10, 235, RS Fr)
                                - Jordan Loveridge (6-6, 225, Fr)
                                - Justin Seymour (6-3, 195 , Fr)
                                - Brandon Taylor (5-10, 150, Fr)
                                - Dakari Tucker (6-6, 180, Fr)

                                All in all, clearly an upgrade from last year's team. I like the size and it seems like Dean, Taylor, and Loveridge were leaders on their teams. Lenz will bring a physical presence to practices that will certainly help. Plus, I think we have some decent outside shooting in Dean, Martin, Loveridge, Seymour, and Tucker.

                                DuBois enrolled in summer classes and will be participating on their trip to Brazil.

                                I'm not sure what to think of Dotson. The fact he bounced around for a couple of years has me hesitating, but obviously he worked hard in practices last year, otherwise he would've been swept out with the rest. I'm hopeful.

                                I'm optimistic.

                                U-Ute
                                Dotson didn't bounce around. He's a transfer from LSU. He played with Dean at Rainier Beach HS here in Seattle. Dotson was a huge star there and heavily recruited. He may be the most talented player on the team and he's a good kid.
                                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                                --Jonathan Swift

                                Comment

                                Working...