Boylen

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Goatnapper'96
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 10924

    #121
    Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    It has absolutely nothing to do with your posts. It has to do with taking over a team that was 81-101 the past six years, making them 13-9 (5-5 Big East) so far in his FIRST YEAR, and this:



    It has to do with results. Take a look at what Lavin has done in ONE YEAR and tell me we should be patient with this train wreck Boylen has caused in four years.
    I have been in Hawaii and word travels slow out this way, but did the U just lose a home game to Air Force? You should update that in your bio about the U as you list the teams BYU has beaten this year!
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

    Comment

    • TripletDaddy
      sweet triple
      • Nov 2008
      • 58186

      #122
      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      It has absolutely nothing to do with your posts. It has to do with taking over a team that was 81-101 the past six years, making them 13-9 (5-5 Big East) so far in his FIRST YEAR, and this:



      It has to do with results. Take a look at what Lavin has done in ONE YEAR and tell me we should be patient with this train wreck Boylen has caused in four years.
      I'm ambivalent towards Boylen.

      I was saying the entire time that Lavin is a great coach. You were the one that was slagging him previously. Obviously you have realized the error of your ways and now agree with me, ESPN, and the Big East.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

      sigpic

      Comment

      • Goatnapper'96
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 10924

        #123
        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        I'm ambivalent towards Boylen.

        I was saying the entire time that Lavin is a great coach. You were the one that was slagging him previously. Obviously you have realized the error of your ways and now agree with me, ESPN, and the Big East.
        I don't think Lavin was a great coach. He was and is a very good recruiter but his teams chronically lost games that they should not. They played well in the tourney though. I can't recall, was a HC before his stint at UCLA?

        I just checked, it was his first HC gig. I think he will do a decent job at SJU as he is a great recruiter, but I doubt the team is ever excellent. Ben Howland is a much better coach, but probably not as good a recruiter.
        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
        -General George S. Patton

        I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

        Comment

        • TripletDaddy
          sweet triple
          • Nov 2008
          • 58186

          #124
          Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
          I don't think Lavin was a great coach. He was and is a very good recruiter but his teams chronically lost games that they should not. They played well in the tourney though. I can't recall, was a HC before his stint at UCLA?

          I just checked, it was his first HC gig. I think he will do a decent job at SJU as he is a great recruiter, but I doubt the team is ever excellent. Ben Howland is a much better coach, but probably not as good a recruiter.
          A great coach doesn't have an excellent team. That would be an excellent coach.

          Go Middies!
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

          sigpic

          Comment

          • Goatnapper'96
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 10924

            #125
            Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            A great coach doesn't have an excellent team. That would be an excellent coach.

            Go Middies!
            I think a great coach would have done more with the talent Lavin had at UCLA. When you have as many top rated recruiting classes and never finish higher than 3rd in the Pac-10 and don't get beyond the sweet 16 then there is an issue with the ability to coach, IMO.

            I don't think Lavin ever had an excellent team at UCLA. Do you? I think his first team might have made the Elite 8 but my memory is after that he could never get beyond 3rd in Pac-10 or beyond the sweet 16.

            Helluva recruiter, however.
            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
            -General George S. Patton

            I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
            -DOCTOR Wuap

            Comment

            • TripletDaddy
              sweet triple
              • Nov 2008
              • 58186

              #126
              Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
              I think a great coach would have done more with the talent Lavin had at UCLA. When you have as many top rated recruiting classes and never finish higher than 3rd in the Pac-10 and don't get beyond the sweet 16 then there is an issue with the ability to coach, IMO.

              I don't think Lavin ever had an excellent team at UCLA. Do you? I think his first team might have made the Elite 8 but my memory is after that he could never get beyond 3rd in Pac-10 or beyond the sweet 16.

              Helluva recruiter, however.
              I'm saying he was a great coach...he had great teams. I didn't say he was an excellent coach, which would explain his lack of excellent teams. He went to the tournament almost all of the time and was a staple in the sweet sixteen. That right there makes him more successful that pretty much most other coaches in D1. Sure enough, after sitting out of the game, he gets back in at SJU and he is back to his old winning ways. Yes, I'd say Lavin is a great coach.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • Goatnapper'96
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 10924

                #127
                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                I'm saying he was a great coach...he had great teams. I didn't say he was an excellent coach, which would explain his lack of excellent teams. He went to the tournament almost all of the time and was a staple in the sweet sixteen. That right there makes him more successful that pretty much most other coaches in D1. Sure enough, after sitting out of the game, he gets back in at SJU and he is back to his old winning ways. Yes, I'd say Lavin is a great coach.
                Lavin strikes me as one of those coaches who can take bad teams to being average, but just doesn't have it to make them great. Perhaps we are saying the same things but it is semantics. I would put Lavin as an above average coach. Probably more accurately defined as an average coach but a great recruiter. Together, he had above average performances, when one considers his resources. I view Lavin's performance at UCLA similarly to what Steve Cleveland did at BYU. He lacked consistency. His teams at UCLA could play well, as they were talented but throughout the course of a season his average coaching skills were exposed with all too frequent losses to inferior teams.
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

                I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

                Comment

                • Surfah
                  Where's Wallace?
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 33726

                  #128
                  The Las Vegas Review-Journal is Nevada's most trusted source for local news, Las Vegas sports, business news, gaming news, entertainment news and more.


                  But there might not be a more important decision Rice makes than where he accepts his first head coaching role. Would the sparse recruiting proximity to players in Wyoming make him pause? Would it make enough financial sense to move his wife and two sons to Laramie and leave such a solid position at BYU?

                  Is he a better fit at Utah if that program were to make a change? (Yes.) I'm not sure the Utes, if they went in another direction from Jim Boylen, would hire a first-time head coach heading into the Pac-12 because you know there would be a concern about losing the news conference.

                  It's a mistake many athletic directors make. They care more about instant reaction than long-term viability. Rice would be a long-term answer.

                  If you know him, you know he wouldn't talk about any job publicly, that until BYU is eliminated from the NCAA Tournament, his sole focus remains on the team's pursuit to play deep into March.

                  But his time is coming.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • SeattleUte
                    Faith crisis consultant
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 20837

                    #129
                    No thanks.
                    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                    --Jonathan Swift

                    Comment

                    • KillerDog
                      a.k.a. K-dog
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 4196

                      #130
                      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                      No thanks.
                      The U faithful would be lucky to get him. He would make you all happy. The problem I see is in the fan reaction. Rice would be a risky hire after failing badly on Giac and Boylen.

                      Comment

                      • Surfah
                        Where's Wallace?
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 33726

                        #131
                        Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                        The U faithful would be lucky to get him. He would make you all happy. The problem I see is in the fan reaction. Rice would be a risky hire after failing badly on Giac and Boylen.
                        Which is why I thought it was a good article. The author said exactly that. Rice has led BYU's recruiting and offense for 4 years now. He's got an in at one of the top prep schools from which he'll probably be able to pull talent. He took over BYU's program when Rose got sick and they didn't miss a beat. Why Utes continue to dog Rice is beyond me. Like you they would be lucky to get Rice. I guess this explains much as to why the Utes and their fans are where they at. I have always said my short list would be Bennett and then Rice.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • cougjunkie
                          *Banned*
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 23223

                          #132
                          Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          Which is why I thought it was a good article. The author said exactly that. Rice has led BYU's recruiting and offense for 4 years now. He's got an in at one of the top prep schools from which he'll probably be able to pull talent. He took over BYU's program when Rose got sick and they didn't miss a beat. Why Utes continue to dog Rice is beyond me. Like you they would be lucky to get Rice. I guess this explains much as to why the Utes and their fans are where they at. I have always said my short list would be Bennett and then Rice.
                          Because like UNLV fans, Utah fans have unrealistic expectations. They have zero sense of reality and think that because they had a nice 2 year run under Majerus 15 years ago they should be at that level year in and year out. When in reality they are an upper tier mid-major at best regardless of what conference they play in. They will make the occassional sweet 16 run, make the tourney 6 out of 10 years and finish at the bottom half of the conference every so often. That is who they are and the sooner they realize that the more happy they will be with current state of the program.
                          *Banned*

                          Comment

                          • LA Ute
                            Receiver of Memory
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 19512

                            #133
                            Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            Which is why I thought it was a good article. The author said exactly that. Rice has led BYU's recruiting and offense for 4 years now. He's got an in at one of the top prep schools from which he'll probably be able to pull talent. He took over BYU's program when Rose got sick and they didn't miss a beat. Why Utes continue to dog Rice is beyond me. Like you they would be lucky to get Rice. I guess this explains much as to why the Utes and their fans are where they at. I have always said my short list would be Bennett and then Rice.
                            We don't want another assistant coach without a solid record of head coaching experience.
                            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                            ― W.H. Auden


                            "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                            "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                            Comment

                            • SeattleUte
                              Faith crisis consultant
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 20837

                              #134
                              Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                              It has absolutely nothing to do with your posts. It has to do with taking over a team that was 81-101 the past six years, making them 13-9 (5-5 Big East) so far in his FIRST YEAR, and this:



                              It has to do with results. Take a look at what Lavin has done in ONE YEAR and tell me we should be patient with this train wreck Boylen has caused in four years.
                              SWISH!

                              [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=310412599"]Connecticut Huskies vs. St. John's Red Storm - Recap - February 10, 2011 - ESPN[/ame]
                              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                              --Jonathan Swift

                              Comment

                              • Top Ute
                                Junior Member
                                • May 2010
                                • 2194

                                #135
                                Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                                Because like UNLV fans, Utah fans have unrealistic expectations. They have zero sense of reality and think that because they had a nice 2 year run under Majerus 15 years ago they should be at that level year in and year out. When in reality they are an upper tier mid-major at best regardless of what conference they play in. They will make the occassional sweet 16 run, make the tourney 6 out of 10 years and finish at the bottom half of the conference every so often. That is who they are and the sooner they realize that the more happy they will be with current state of the program.
                                We've made the tourney just once in the last six years. We should be content, by your assessment, with making it 6 out of 10, and finishing in the bottom half of the conference five of the last six years is more than "every so often." So explain to me how our frustration with our program in its current state shows we have "zero sense of reality"?

                                Comment

                                Working...