Obama's Health Plan

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • tooblue
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 5136

    #196
    Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
    Good defense. Next time I argue I'll use that one. I believe it is called "I dont' know why but I hate your argument."
    Next time use an argument that is relevant to the discussion. Comparing having babies to changing the oil in the car is beyond idiotic.

    Comment

    • Hallelujah
      Junior Member
      • Dec 2008
      • 2741

      #197
      Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      Here's my idea for health care reform. I shared this on CG or CB a long time ago but still haven't really heard a good counterargument. Actually, it's not my idea--I first heard it in an econ lecture by Martin Feldstein (former chief economic adviser for Reagan).

      We figure out, based on income tax returns, a reasonable amount that each citizen or family can afford to spend on healthcare costs. They are responsible for all costs up to that amount, after which the government covers all further necessary costs for that year (minus a small deductible to discourage abuse). Next year, things start over again. We could make certain exemptions for the "deductible" which the government would cover completely, but only if they have proven benefit to decrease long-term costs (diabetes/hypertension meds, vaccinations, etc).

      It's a fairly simple idea. The chief obstacle would be getting our huge HMO/insurance industry to buy in, but nationalized health care is going to be equally hard. It seems like we could just adapt the current industry as figureheads to run the system. The idea's out there; I wonder why it doesn't get more play.

      Regarding high-deductible insurance--it's not going up nearly as quickly as the other kinds of insurance. My premium barely bumped this year. It's also something you just get used to, but it does take some getting used to.
      Treat the health insurance companies as utilities. Guarantee them a 5-7% return and the rest of the profit can be used to reduce premiums and for some to a very small premium. And no more life saving efforts for terminal diseases. I heard once that 80% of a person's healthcare costs are used in the last one or two years of their life. Those days are over. If that's what the public really wants for everyone to be insured.

      Comment

      • Mormon Red Death
        BYU Delenda Est
        • Nov 2008
        • 8077

        #198
        Originally posted by Hallelujah View Post
        Treat the health insurance companies as utilities. Guarantee them a 5-7% return and the rest of the profit can be used to reduce premiums and for some to a very small premium. And no more life saving efforts for terminal diseases. I heard once that 80% of a person's healthcare costs are used in the last one or two years of their life. Those days are over. If that's what the public really wants for everyone to be insured.
        Nationalizing an industry never works.
        "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

        "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

        Comment

        Working...