The 2012 Republican Primary thread, early edition

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Color Me Badd Fan
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 12519

    #1486
    Originally posted by creekster View Post
    Santorum cannot win. He is a nut and his views are nutty.
    He's not as nutty as Newt and he's not nearly as corrupt. I think some of his social views are nutty and quite unfortunate, but I wouldn't call the rest of his positions on fiscal and foreign policy nutty.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

    Comment

    • creekster
      It is NOT a monkey!
      • Nov 2008
      • 22661

      #1487
      Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
      He's not as nutty as Newt and he's not nearly as corrupt. I think some of his social views are nutty and quite unfortunate, but I wouldn't call the rest of his positions on fiscal and foreign policy nutty.
      well, you are almost certainly right on both of your first points, but he simply isnt electable.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

      Comment

      • Surfah
        Where's Wallace?
        • Nov 2008
        • 33726

        #1488
        Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
        He's not as nutty as Newt and he's not nearly as corrupt. I think some of his social views are nutty and quite unfortunate, but I wouldn't call the rest of his positions on fiscal and foreign policy nutty.
        The guy is the exact opposite of Paul on foreign policy.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

        Comment

        • Color Me Badd Fan
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2009
          • 12519

          #1489
          Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          Santorum is too far right for my tastes. I am afraid he'd try to legislate his own morals and have us in a war with Iran within a year of him as president.
          In other words, he's mostly like W, or at least you view him the same way a lot of people viewed W in 2004. It's a reasonable position, but W also won two elections and that's my point. Santorum can appeal to hillbillies in ways Romney could only dream. But, Romney can better appeal to soccer moms and college educated moderates. I have stated before that the GOP needs to get away from social conservatism, Romney better steers it in that direction.

          But, I can say with confidence that Santorum is a significantly better candidate than Newt Gingrich, and he would have a chance, albeit quite small, of prevailing in a national election. Romney is obviously the best candidate. Newt would be an utter trainwreck and an embarrassment.
          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

          Comment

          • pellegrino
            miserere me
            • Jan 2009
            • 12100

            #1490
            Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
            He's not as nutty as Newt and he's not nearly as corrupt. I think some of his social views are nutty and quite unfortunate, but I wouldn't call the rest of his positions on fiscal and foreign policy nutty.
            I could care less about Santorum's positions on the issues. IT'S HIS EFFING NAME THAT I CAN'T STAND!!
            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
            Alessandro Manzoni

            Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

            pelagius

            Comment

            • il Padrino Ute
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 19161

              #1491
              Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
              I could care less about Santorum's positions on the issues. IT'S HIS EFFING NAME THAT I CAN'T STAND!!
              That isn't very tolerant of you.
              "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


              "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

              Comment

              • CardiacCoug
                вот так штука
                • Nov 2008
                • 11013

                #1492
                Watching the rerun since I missed most of the original debate.

                Romney should never use the word "planet" as in "..when Fidel Castro leaves this planet..." -- it sounds like he thinks Fidel is going to be teleported to another planet.

                I think Romney does really well on foreign policy questions. On the Palestinian-Israel question and others he often has to answer the question first while the other guys get a chance to gather their thoughts and he still does great.

                Comment

                • pellegrino
                  miserere me
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 12100

                  #1493
                  Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                  That isn't very tolerant of you.
                  we all have our biases.

                  I nearly dry heave every time I hear it.
                  Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                  God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                  Alessandro Manzoni

                  Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                  pelagius

                  Comment

                  • Commando
                    Explosivo
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 20748

                    #1494
                    Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post

                    Romney should never use the word "planet" as in "..when Fidel Castro leaves this planet..." -- it sounds like he thinks Fidel is going to be teleported to another planet.

                    Especially in light of the LDS teaching that the Spirit World is right here on Earth.
                    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                    Comment

                    • Commando
                      Explosivo
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 20748

                      #1495
                      Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                      I'm watching this debate on delay. I'm through the first half hour. Mitt has done well but I personally like Newt's immigration position more than Mitt's. However Mitt's position will play better with sonsevatives. Mind you some of it is screwy like the neighborhood commissions.

                      But the "you also own Fannie Mae stock" put down was great.
                      Yeah. Mitt's Immigration advisor is some Asian guy, Alex Wang (?) who has given him an impressively offensive turd of an immigration platform. Look for Mitt's Immigration stances to shift as this comes to the attention of his Campaign, who probably doesn't want to lose the entire Hispanic and Independent vote over some nonsense.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                      Comment

                      • CardiacCoug
                        вот так штука
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 11013

                        #1496
                        Originally posted by Commando View Post
                        Especially in light of the LDS teaching that the Spirit World is right here on Earth.
                        Oh good point -- he's going L. Ron Hubbard in the debate when it's not even doctrinal. What's up with that?

                        Nice closing statement by Mitt.

                        Comment

                        • Maximus
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 6023

                          #1497
                          Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                          Watching the rerun since I missed most of the original debate.

                          Romney should never use the word "planet" as in "..when Fidel Castro leaves this planet..." -- it sounds like he thinks Fidel is going to be teleported to another planet.

                          I think Romney does really well on foreign policy questions. On the Palestinian-Israel question and others he often has to answer the question first while the other guys get a chance to gather their thoughts and he still does great.
                          what did he say on Israel? His middle east advisor is a guy that has said some pretty bigoted things against Muslims so I do worry about him being too one sided.

                          Comment

                          • CardiacCoug
                            вот так штука
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 11013

                            #1498
                            Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                            what did he say on Israel? His middle east advisor is a guy that has said some pretty bigoted things against Muslims so I do worry about him being too one sided.
                            A Palestinian-American asked a question --something about how he would recognize and support Palestinians.

                            Mitt just said he would stand together with our ally Israel and put all the blame on Hamas and the Palestinian side. Criticized Obama for throwing Israel under the bus. He didn't say a single thing that was pro-Palestinian.

                            I know, shocking that Mitt would speak out so strongly pro-Jewish/Israel heading into the Florida primary.

                            Comment

                            • Maximus
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 6023

                              #1499
                              Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                              A Palestinian-American asked a question --something about how he would recognize and support Palestinians.

                              Mitt just said he would stand together with our ally Israel and put all the blame on Hamas and the Palestinian side. Criticized Obama for throwing Israel under the bus. He didn't say a single thing that was pro-Palestinian.

                              I know, shocking that Mitt would speak out so strongly pro-Jewish/Israel heading into the Florida primary.
                              I hope he doesn't actually think that hard line.

                              Comment

                              • old_gregg
                                scaly man fish
                                • Nov 2009
                                • 16915

                                #1500
                                this pic is glorious:

                                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                                Comment

                                Working...