Confirmed: Jon Huntsman is a wanker

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • oxcoug
    Dolphins Rape Hipsters
    • Dec 2009
    • 5309

    #211
    Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
    I was just saying that given certain assumptions, I can see how people might think he is cynical.
    [/IMG]
    Absolutely. JL, I think it's reaching if you want to contend that it's not valid to think that Huntsman's public handling of his religion looks cynical and opportunistic.

    While he was governor he gave every sign of being an active, fully engaged member and of course there's a political benefit in Utah to being seen up on the stand in GC. Now that he's not and he's trying to go national it's convenient to distance himself so he's making cagey comments and defaulting to the classic bullshit "I'm not religious, I'm spiritual" thing.

    Personally, I don't care either way - I'd just like to see him own something.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

    It can't all be wedding cake.

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69689

      #212
      Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
      Absolutely. JL, I think it's reaching if you want to contend that it's not valid to think that Huntsman's public handling of his religion looks cynical and opportunistic.

      While he was governor he gave every sign of being an active, fully engaged member and of course there's a political benefit in Utah to being seen up on the stand in GC. Now that he's not and he's trying to go national it's convenient to distance himself so he's making cagey comments and defaulting to the classic bullshit "I'm not religious, I'm spiritual" thing.

      Personally, I don't care either way - I'd just like to see him own something.
      I think there are some perfectly valid criticisms of Huntsman (Cap and Trade, etc.) but this one is mean-spirited and wrong, IMO.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • oxcoug
        Dolphins Rape Hipsters
        • Dec 2009
        • 5309

        #213
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I think there are some perfectly valid criticisms of Huntsman (Cap and Trade, etc.) but this one is mean-spirited and wrong, IMO.

        Nothing mean-spirited about it - the man is asking to be elected President of the United States, the highest single responsibility in the world - I and other voters are entitled to critically examine behavior that suggests character issues.

        Everything I know about Huntsman suggests a guy who likes to wake up in the morning and smell the power and the prestige that comes with it and that's why he's in politics. His dodgy, evasive way of handling this subject confirms that tendency, in my view.
        Last edited by oxcoug; 05-13-2011, 01:58 PM.
        Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

        It can't all be wedding cake.

        Comment

        • wally
          <><><><><><><><>
          • Jun 2010
          • 4137

          #214
          I care about as much about Huntsman's religious ambiguity as I do about Mitt tying the family dog to the roof of the car for a family vacation.

          Comment

          • YOhio
            Hipster Mode
            • Nov 2008
            • 26165

            #215
            Originally posted by wally View Post
            I care about as much about Huntsman's religious ambiguity as I do about Mitt tying the family dog to the roof of the car for a family vacation.
            Soooo...you care a lot?

            Comment

            • il Padrino Ute
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 19161

              #216
              Originally posted by YOhio View Post
              Soooo...you care a lot?
              Wally is Faith No More.
              "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


              "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

              Comment

              • Viking
                Banned
                • Jun 2009
                • 6470

                #217
                I think Huntsman is the only Republican that can do battle with Obama...he's very moderate (frankly, he's a democrat), he's very comfortable in his own skin and he's got the best foreign relations pedigree of any of the group...and where it counts, too (China).

                Comment

                • RobinFinderson
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 10548

                  #218
                  Originally posted by Viking View Post
                  I think Huntsman is the only Republican that can do battle with Obama...he's very moderate (frankly, he's a democrat), he's very comfortable in his own skin and he's got the best foreign relations pedigree of any of the group...and where it counts, too (China).
                  Right. This is what I don't understand. I know very little about the man, except that he was a very popular governor, and that his experience made him a top choice for one of the most critical ambassadorships we have. And while I can appreciate the arguments for and against Capi'in Trade, it seems like that is the only policy that anyone has talked about, and his position (assuming he would still have it in a presidential run) hardly seems to merit 'wanker' status.

                  Compared to the other GOP candidates, he cleans up a lot better, and comes off as less milquetoast than Mitch, Mitt and Tim; less crazy than Bachman and Palin; and he has way fewer negatives compare to Gingrich. I don't know where Herman would fit in here.

                  Comment

                  • Viking
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 6470

                    #219
                    Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                    Right. This is what I don't understand. I know very little about the man, except that he was a very popular governor, and that his experience made him a top choice for one of the most critical ambassadorships we have. And while I can appreciate the arguments for and against Capi'in Trade, it seems like that is the only policy that anyone has talked about, and his position (assuming he would still have it in a presidential run) hardly seems to merit 'wanker' status.

                    Compared to the other GOP candidates, he cleans up a lot better, and comes off as less milquetoast than Mitch, Mitt and Tim; less crazy than Bachman and Palin; and he has way fewer negatives compare to Gingrich. I don't know where Herman would fit in here.
                    Huntsman would be the only Republican presidential candidate I've ever voted for. I abstained last cycle (America, did you feel my protest vote? Take that!).

                    I think Ox is being a little too strong herein.

                    By the way, your pandering to be in the secret nerd society on this site is highly disappointing to me. I mourn for you.

                    Comment

                    • RobinFinderson
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 10548

                      #220
                      Originally posted by Viking View Post
                      By the way, your pandering to be in the secret nerd society on this site is highly disappointing to me. I mourn for you.
                      It really isn't such a big deal, but I appreciate the depth of feeling you have about the issue, which I can only interpret as a kind of love.

                      Comment

                      • Viking
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2009
                        • 6470

                        #221
                        Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                        It really isn't such a big deal, but I appreciate the depth of feeling you have about the issue, which I can only interpret as a kind of love.
                        Wanker.

                        Comment

                        • frank ryan
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 12358

                          #222
                          I'd really consider voting for Huntsman against Obama. The man is a pragmatist

                          Comment

                          • tooblue
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 5134

                            #223
                            Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                            I'd really consider voting for Huntsman against Obama. The man is a pragmatist
                            I don't think either Huntsman or Romney, let alone any other candidate, has a real chance of defeating Obama. Regardless, my vote would go to the individual who is best prepared to fix the financial woes and adress heath care in a pragmatic fashion. To me that is Romney.

                            Comment

                            • frank ryan
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 12358

                              #224
                              Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                              I don't think either Huntsman or Romney, let alone any other candidate, has a real chance of defeating Obama. Regardless, my vote would go to the individual who is best prepared to fix the financial woes and adress heath care in a pragmatic fashion. To me that is Romney.
                              romney did on a state level what obama did on a national level re. healthcare

                              Comment

                              • LA Ute
                                Receiver of Memory
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 19512

                                #225
                                Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                                romney did on a state level what obama did on a national level re. healthcare
                                There are some similarities but they are superficial.
                                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                                ― W.H. Auden


                                "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                                "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                                Comment

                                Working...