Originally posted by USUC
View Post
Death Penalty
Collapse
X
-
yep. The state cannot be trusted to prosecute a lot of lesser crime fairly, let alone ensuring innocent people aren’t put to death.
"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
"You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
- SeattleUte
-
Life in prison with no parole.Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
If you're a 9-year-old who was raped and threatened with murder, shouldn't you have the right to know that the "monster" who hurt you can't hurt you anymore?"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
Comment
-
I argued in favor of the death penalty in high school debate. Now I want nothing to do with condemning anyone to death. Life is precious.Originally posted by Pelado View Post
Disgusting.
In my freshman speech class, one of the assignments was to give speech taking a side in a current issue. I selected the death penalty and was arguing against it. I shared what I had prepared with my dad, who told me I was arguing for the wrong position. He pointed me to the Mosaic Law. I changed my speech to argue in favor of the death penalty.
Now I think I'm somewhere near wuap's stated position.
I cut someone down who was dead. I cut someone down who was trying to die, and died later due to extensive damage. I watched a man walk to the execution chamber where his life ended. I had a soldier go out of his way to thank me for everything I did for him shortly before he killed himself. I had a good friend blown to Hell. I've walked through pools of blood--I'll never forget the smell, look, and feel.
Yeah, let's just lock them up for life and be good with it
Comment
-
All it takes is one bully on the playground saying, "He escaped!" about their attacker and the victim is reliving that trauma constantly. I say just let him die and spare the victim the endless worry.Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Life in prison with no parole."Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon
Comment
-
My father told me he was talking to two Marines in Vietnam, an explosion went off, and he suddenly realized that he was breathing in their vaporized shit and blood. He said he never forgot how that smelled and tasted and it would sometimes haunt him.Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
I argued in favor of the death penalty in high school debate. Now I want nothing to do with condemning anyone to death. Life is precious.
I cut someone down who was dead. I cut someone down who was trying to die, and died later due to extensive damage. I watched a man walk to the execution chamber where his life ended. I had a soldier go out of his way to thank me for everything I did for him shortly before he killed himself. I had a good friend blown to Hell. I've walked through pools of blood--I'll never forget the smell, look, and feel.
Yeah, let's just lock them up for life and be good with it"Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon
Comment
-
If you support the death penalty, you have to support it knowing full well that we have executed and will continue to execute lots of innocent people and that it is applied in a grossly disproportional manner to blacks and minorities. And mentally disabled people.Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
All it takes is one bully on the playground saying, "He escaped!" about their attacker and the victim is reliving that trauma constantly. I say just let him die and spare the victim the endless worry."There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
Comment
-
Yeah, that would be horrific. I suppose you get to a good place, but out of the blue something will trigger the memories.Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
My father told me he was talking to two Marines in Vietnam, an explosion went off, and he suddenly realized that he was breathing in their vaporized shit and blood. He said he never forgot how that smelled and tasted and it would sometimes haunt him.
I was brought up in a conservative home, but the older I've gotten, my positions on traditional issues and views have often made a 180. The death penalty is one of those issues.
Comment
-
I don't have an argument against your point, but the emotions of thinking about someone hurting my kids makes me very Old Testament towards those who harm kids. It's not a rational argument I present. I recognize that.Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
If you support the death penalty, you have to support it knowing full well that we have executed and will continue to execute lots of innocent people and that it is applied in a grossly disproportional manner to blacks and minorities. And mentally disabled people."Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon
Comment
-
Thankfully we have the New Testament Jesus to help us.Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
I don't have an argument against your point, but the emotions of thinking about someone hurting my kids makes me very Old Testament towards those who harm kids. It's not a rational argument I present. I recognize that."Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf
Comment
-
On this, the Dude and I agree.Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I am against the death penalty in all cases.
I think the death penalty is barbaric.
Innocent people get killed. It is used to target minorities and those in poverty.
How many people have been killed that were innocent? How many of these people are black? How many are poor?
How many innocent people are sitting in jail for life confessing to a crime that he/she did not commit to avoid the threat of the death penalty if it went to trial? How many of these people are black? How many are poor?
I just can't find the justification for it in any circumstance.As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
--Kendrick Lamar
Comment
-
I think it is justified, when correctly applied and in the most egregious cases (think OKC bombing). But I also think it is incorrectly applied in a significant number of cases. I also think letting someone rot in a cell for the rest of their lives is a nearly equally apt punishment, so it causes me no heartburn to think that somebody got life in prison instead of the death penalty.Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
On this, the Dude and I agree.
I think the death penalty is barbaric.
Innocent people get killed. It is used to target minorities and those in poverty.
How many people have been killed that were innocent? How many of these people are black? How many are poor?
How many innocent people are sitting in jail for life confessing to a crime that he/she did not commit to avoid the threat of the death penalty if it went to trial? How many of these people are black? How many are poor?
I just can't find the justification for it in any circumstance.τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν
Comment
-
I side with AA in that there are instances in which it would be appropriate, but they have to be of the most egregious type of crime and the greatest assurity of guilt. Maybe even higher than BARD. That said, the amount of time and resources it takes or would take to apply that doesn't meet with my ROI calculation. I would instead prefer a life without parole sentence with administrative guidelines from the DOC that without making it an 8th amendment violation, makes the rest of their life extremely unpleasant. What would that entail? I will leave that to the political process but it would not include some of the privileges given to prisoners who have a chance at parole. If you do not have the possibility of parole because of the heinousness of your crime, should the state expend any resources toward rehabilitation?Originally posted by All-American View Post
I think it is justified, when correctly applied and in the most egregious cases (think OKC bombing). But I also think it is incorrectly applied in a significant number of cases. I also think letting someone rot in a cell for the rest of their lives is a nearly equally apt punishment, so it causes me no heartburn to think that somebody got life in prison instead of the death penalty.“Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman
Comment
-
Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
On this, the Dude and I agree.
I think the death penalty is barbaric.
Innocent people get killed. It is used to target minorities and those in poverty.
How many people have been killed that were innocent? How many of these people are black? How many are poor?
How many innocent people are sitting in jail for life confessing to a crime that he/she did not commit to avoid the threat of the death penalty if it went to trial? How many of these people are black? How many are poor?
I just can't find the justification for it in any circumstance.
"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
Comment
-
I'm against capital punishment, not because I believe guilty people don't deserve to die, but because as a systemic practice mistakes are made. If someone were to harm one of my kids, though, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to personally end the life of the person who harmed my child, but that's my prerogative, not the government's.Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
I don't have an argument against your point, but the emotions of thinking about someone hurting my kids makes me very Old Testament towards those who harm kids. It's not a rational argument I present. I recognize that."The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane
Comment
-
How do you influence the administration within the DOC? There's a lot of case law from challenges based on the 8th Amendment, and I think all D's of C pretty much write their own policies and procedures to fit within case law. The guy who wrote the Utah policies back in the late 80's/early 90's sold essentially the same thing to other states who were interested, IIRC. I remember in training listening to him talk about how they developed different policies. "It's not expressly prohibited by current case law, so we wrote it this way."Originally posted by Copelius View Post
I side with AA in that there are instances in which it would be appropriate, but they have to be of the most egregious type of crime and the greatest assurity of guilt. Maybe even higher than BARD. That said, the amount of time and resources it takes or would take to apply that doesn't meet with my ROI calculation. I would instead prefer a life without parole sentence with administrative guidelines from the DOC that without making it an 8th amendment violation, makes the rest of their life extremely unpleasant. What would that entail? I will leave that to the political process but it would not include some of the privileges given to prisoners who have a chance at parole. If you do not have the possibility of parole because of the heinousness of your crime, should the state expend any resources toward rehabilitation?
Also, Utah decided that managing the inmates on Death Row was important enough that if they gave them privileges (tv, increased rec time, etc) that the inmates then had something to lose, and could then be managed. Prior to this, they had nothing, and acted out because "what else are you going to do to me?"
Comment
Comment