The Golf Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • falafel
    loves to talk on things
    • Mar 2009
    • 37987

    #391
    Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    I hit these clubs alot longer than my previous set. 1.5-2 clubs longer. I knew they were de-lofted, but holy hell, what a difference. It really threw me off.

    After playing a few rounds with them, I still couldn't get used to the yardage I was hitting them. I also want liking that the clubs were 1/2" longer than my old set as well. I was taking huge divots with them. After 4 rounds, I decided to sell them.

    I just ordered a set of Adams Idea Tech A4 forged irons. The set id a 3 and 4 hybrid and 5-PW. I went to the pro shop and hit them and they feel really nice. They are supposed to show up Christmas eve.
    Wait, you mean you sold your clubs because you were hitting them too far?

    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    Dig your own grave, and save!

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • HuskyFreeNorthwest
      Time to camp
      • Nov 2008
      • 26082

      #392
      Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Wait, you mean you sold your clubs because you were hitting them too far?

      [YOUTUBE]oDyqctIw0SE[/YOUTUBE]

      One day, with practice.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

      Comment

      • falafel
        loves to talk on things
        • Mar 2009
        • 37987

        #393
        Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
        [YOUTUBE]oDyqctIw0SE[/YOUTUBE]

        One day, with practice.
        23 seconds?! I've really got to speed up my swing!
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

        Dig your own grave, and save!

        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • Drunk Tank
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2009
          • 2569

          #394
          Originally posted by falafel View Post
          Wait, you mean you sold your clubs because you were hitting them too far?

          I know, but when I normally hit a 7 iron 155-160, and I am now hitting it 180-190, it really throws you off.

          Truthfully, I bought the Burners on a whim, and really never felt comfortable hitting them.
          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

          Comment

          • falafel
            loves to talk on things
            • Mar 2009
            • 37987

            #395
            Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
            I know, but when I normally hit a 7 iron 155-160, and I am now hitting it 180-190, it really throws you off.
            Yeah, but in a GOOD way! Think of the strokes you could take off once you adjusted!
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

            Dig your own grave, and save!

            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • Drunk Tank
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2009
              • 2569

              #396
              Sometimes it is about what feels right. These clubs didn't feel right.
              "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

              Comment

              • falafel
                loves to talk on things
                • Mar 2009
                • 37987

                #397
                Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                Sometimes it is about what feels right. These clubs didn't feel right.
                I won't argue with that. Still, I would love to get an additional 20 to 25 yards just from a new set of clubs. And I bet I would too, since I wouldn't have that annoying modem sound in my back swing messing with my concentration.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                Dig your own grave, and save!

                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • clackamascoug
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 9709

                  #398
                  Newbie Here... permission to join the golf club talk.

                  To say that you're hitting more divots because that clubs are 1/2" long is crazy talk. Each club 9-8-7 etc. are cut to a half inch longer than the other. In other words... Not one club is the same length as the other.

                  You address the ball, keep your head still and swing. You head is the pivot point, not the length of the club.

                  Now... a strong loft is another thing... Why? Each club is calibrated to fly 10-15 yards farther than the precious club. The majority of your shots will come from 150 in, and so hitting longer is not the goal, hitting for precise yardage is the goal.

                  I carry a 60* a 54* sand a 48* wedge, and then a 9 and 8. That's five clubs to cover the 150 yard range. If I need to hit 170, I use a 6 or 5. If I was hitting a 8 165... that would be wrong and I'd correct it.

                  Comment

                  • falafel
                    loves to talk on things
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 37987

                    #399
                    Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                    I carry a 60* a 54* sand a 48* wedge, and then a 9 and 8. That's five clubs to cover the 150 yard range. If I need to hit 170, I use a 6 or 5. If I was hitting a 8 165... that would be wrong and I'd correct it.
                    Why? If you're hitting an 8 165, then you could probably hit your 7 180, and so on. You can always adjust for closer shots by shortening your swing. I doubt the pros would be concerned by hitting an 8 165 yrds.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                    Dig your own grave, and save!

                    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • Donuthole
                      Official Outgayer
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 25268

                      #400
                      Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Why? If you're hitting an 8 165, then you could probably hit your 7 180, and so on. You can always adjust for closer shots by shortening your swing. I doubt the pros would be concerned by hitting an 8 165 yrds.
                      It's not all about distance once you're that close. A lot of it is entry loft and the ability to stop the ball or shape its flight.
                      Last edited by Donuthole; 12-18-2009, 05:48 PM.
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                      There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                      Comment

                      • clackamascoug
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 9709

                        #401
                        Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        Why? If you're hitting an 8 165, then you could probably hit your 7 180, and so on. You can always adjust for closer shots by shortening your swing. I doubt the pros would be concerned by hitting an 8 165 yrds.
                        The above is akin to saying "A Bible, a Bible... we need no more Bible."

                        I can see I have my work cut out for me. Hey... this could count as a senior mission. The following is directed at golfers who play to a 3 or higher.

                        1. Full swings are more calibrated than partial swings. Thats why the pro's always want to lay up with a full swing. A full wedge should be in the 100-115 range. High entry - Control Spin - stopping within 15 feet of the pin.

                        2. Since the majority of golf shots occur in the <150 yard range, its better to have several calibrated shots in that range, rather than partial swings to which you can't depend on. If you hit a wedge 150 - that's a tough spectrum to guess what percentage of your swing you should hit at 116 yards.

                        Comment

                        • Drunk Tank
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 2569

                          #402
                          Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                          Newbie Here... permission to join the golf club talk.

                          To say that you're hitting more divots because that clubs are 1/2" long is crazy talk. Each club 9-8-7 etc. are cut to a half inch longer than the other. In other words... Not one club is the same length as the other.

                          You address the ball, keep your head still and swing. You head is the pivot point, not the length of the club.

                          Now... a strong loft is another thing... Why? Each club is calibrated to fly 10-15 yards farther than the precious club. The majority of your shots will come from 150 in, and so hitting longer is not the goal, hitting for precise yardage is the goal.

                          I carry a 60* a 54* sand a 48* wedge, and then a 9 and 8. That's five clubs to cover the 150 yard range. If I need to hit 170, I use a 6 or 5. If I was hitting a 8 165... that would be wrong and I'd correct it.

                          I understand and agree with what you are saying. I am not sure the club length is not an issue. I normally take a good size divot when I hit my irons. It is most likely a swing plane issue, but generally does not affect my shot. However, with the Burners, I found that my divot had turned into plowing a field. I was routinely burying half the club face. Now, I know that each club is 1/2" shorter than the next, but when you have used the same clubs for 7 years, you have a certain amount of muscle memory built up that you have to overcome. My mind says to swing the seven iron a certain way, and when the club length has changed and you don't adjust your swing to compensate, well, you have a higher chance to mis-hit.

                          I am not a fan of the gimmicks used to get distance, ie longer club lengths and de-lofted clubs. I would rather get distance from improving my form and my swing.


                          On my previous set my I used a PW(46 deg), SW (56deg.), and LW (60deg.) The burners had an AW (50 deg.) which I loved. I am planning on getting another with the new set. No more choking down a PW for 100 yard shots.
                          Last edited by Drunk Tank; 12-18-2009, 06:20 PM.
                          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

                          Comment

                          • il Padrino Ute
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 19161

                            #403
                            Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                            I know, but when I normally hit a 7 iron 155-160, and I am now hitting it 180-190, it really throws you off.
                            Chicks dig the long ball.
                            "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                            "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                            Comment

                            • falafel
                              loves to talk on things
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 37987

                              #404
                              Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                              The above is akin to saying "A Bible, a Bible... we need no more Bible."

                              I can see I have my work cut out for me. Hey... this could count as a senior mission. The following is directed at golfers who play to a 3 or higher.

                              1. Full swings are more calibrated than partial swings. Thats why the pro's always want to lay up with a full swing. A full wedge should be in the 100-115 range. High entry - Control Spin - stopping within 15 feet of the pin.

                              2. Since the majority of golf shots occur in the <150 yard range, its better to have several calibrated shots in that range, rather than partial swings to which you can't depend on. If you hit a wedge 150 - that's a tough spectrum to guess what percentage of your swing you should hit at 116 yards.
                              Why not just carry more wedges? I still don't understand why you think it would be a problem to hit an eight iron 165 yards or whatever. YOu make it sound like you're doing something wrong if you hit it that far.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                              Dig your own grave, and save!

                              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              • Surfah
                                Where's Wallace?
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 33726

                                #405
                                Originally posted by falafel View Post
                                Why not just carry more wedges? I still don't understand why you think it would be a problem to hit an eight iron 165 yards or whatever. YOu make it sound like you're doing something wrong if you hit it that far.
                                I agree.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...