No announcement yet.

The Golf Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't follow the LPGA but I'm looking forward to watching highlights of this week's Open being played at Olympic. The course was in outstanding shape in anticipation of the tournament, but the rough was brutal. I lost six balls that had missed the fairway by just a few feet, not yards. Unless you were standing directly over a ball, you couldn't see it (and often not even then). And attempts to hit out of the rough with anything more than a wedge produced only laughter, not success. I played the par threes even, including one bird, and yet I was close to triple digits by the time I limped off the 18th. The pros have it easy with galleries doing all their ball-spotting.

Comment

• 6 balls! Ten year old me would have grabbed a bucket as soon as night fell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
        6 balls! Ten year old me would have grabbed a bucket as soon as night fell.
        I loved doing that as a kid at our nearby course--the thrill of the hunt and the prospect of coming away with a couple of buckets of balls justified the inevitable poison oak we acquired from places where most golfers feared to tread. I've been watching the Open today hoping to see someone come upon my many calling cards. I'm also enjoying the banter about the shack dispensing the delicious (and apparently famous) Olympic burger dogs near the 12th hole.

Comment

• clack decided to dig up the coffee can in the backyard and trade it's contents for some new clubs.

So far - The Kirkland Brand wedge set 52* 56* 60*

PING - 425 MAX Driver - Reg Flex - 10.5 - yes - I'm admitting I'm getting older and swinging like a rusty gate.

On the hunt for irons - trying to find PING 425 5-PW, U - with graphite shafts - but can't locate any. Order is 10 weeks. I might have to find something available - but comparable.

Keeping my 10 putters - I've got a bit of everything.

Still have my homemade 7 wood with a driver shaft - still the best club in my bag.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
            clack decided to dig up the coffee can in the backyard and trade it's contents for some new clubs.

PING - 425 MAX Driver - Reg Flex - 10.5 - yes - I'm admitting I'm getting older and swinging like a rusty gate.

On the hunt for irons - trying to find PING 425 5-PW, U - with graphite shafts - but can't locate any. Order is 10 weeks. I might have to find something available - but comparable.

Still have my homemade 7 wood with a driver shaft - still the best club in my bag.
            I tried the Kirkland wedges. I’m sure they are good clubs, but I couldn’t get used to them. Different head weight and bounce than I am used to. They are the same loft as my Taylormade wedges, but I couldn’t get the feel of them.

I bought new irons this spring, Titleist CB’s, last years model for about half the cost of current year. Love the feel of them. I went with more of a players iron, even though I’m not a single digit handicap because I wanted the more traditional lofts. Today’s “strong” irons have their 9 iron the same loft as my 7 iron.
            Last edited by chrisrenrut; 06-11-2021, 09:17 PM.

Comment

clack decided to dig up the coffee can in the backyard and trade it's contents for some new clubs.

Have you looked at New Level golf? Little boutique golf club maker out of Scottsdale. I’m playing some MODB-1s from New Level. They feel pretty much identical to the Taylormade P790s I was eying. I snagged them on sale and they were just over 1/3 the price of the TMs.

I was kinda uncertain about buying an unknown brand, and then I got paired up with a couple of scratches at Paiute a few weeks back. They were both playing New Level’s pro forged line, and both said they were the best clubs they had ever felt. The one guy said they feel just like his $1800 Mizunos.

Might be worth looking into.

Www.Newlevelgolf.com

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Have you looked at New Level golf? Little boutique golf club maker out of Scottsdale. I’m playing some MODB-1s from New Level. They feel pretty much identical to the Taylormade P790s I was eying. I snagged them on sale and they were just over 1/3 the price of the TMs.

I was kinda uncertain about buying an unknown brand, and then I got paired up with a couple of scratches at Paiute a few weeks back. They were both playing New Level’s pro forged line, and both said they were the best clubs they had ever felt. The one guy said they feel just like his $1800 Mizunos.

Might be worth looking into.

Www.Newlevelgolf.com

Dang you DH - now you're playing with my mind - tempting me with those gorgeous clubs. I was prepared to spend $1400 on irons - I'm going to spec out what I could do with these guys. What was the wait time?

Comment

Dang you DH - now you're playing with my mind - tempting me with those gorgeous clubs. I was prepared to spend $1400 on irons - I'm going to spec out what I could do with these guys. What was the wait time?
                  The clubs and shafts I ordered were in stock, so they bent the clubs to my specs, assembled, and shipped in under a week.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• DH - I don't even know your real name - but I trust you enough to pull the trigger. Actually - this is a really good price - and clubs - price wasn't even the issue - these things sold me on value. So if they suck - I'll say something mean about you and get 425's next year.

Shopping cart

Back to store
                    MODB-1 Performance Irons
                    Select Club(s):
                    4-PW
                    Select Shaft Type:
                    Fujikura Pro 75 (R,S)
                    Select Shaft Flex:
                    R
                    Select Grip Type:
                    New Level Tour Midsize
                    Length:
                    +1/2"
                    Lie Angle:
                    Standard
                    Loft Adjustment:
                    Standard
                    Grip Orientation:
                    Logo Up
                    30-Day Performance Guarantee:
                    I have read and understand the terms and conditions of the 30-Day Performance Guarantee.
                    Estimated Lead Time:
                    Due to extreme demand I understand there is an approximate lead time of 14 business days.
                    Order Modifications:
                    I have reviewed my order in its entirety, and I understand and agree that my order can not be changed more than one business day from receipt of my order confirmation.
                    Order Cancellations:
                    I understand that I can not cancel my order for any reason more than one business day after receipt of my order confirmation.
                    × 1
                    $931.00
                    Subtotal $931.00
                    Coupon discount (15% off) –$139.65
                    Shipping $43.81
                    TOTAL $835.16

Comment

DH - I don't even know your real name - but I trust you enough to pull the trigger. Actually - this is a really good price - and clubs - price wasn't even the issue - these things sold me on value. So if they suck - I'll say something mean about you and get 425's next year.

Shopping cart

Back to store
                      MODB-1 Performance Irons
                      Select Club(s):
                      4-PW
                      Select Shaft Type:
                      Fujikura Pro 75 (R,S)
                      Select Shaft Flex:
                      R
                      Select Grip Type:
                      New Level Tour Midsize
                      Length:
                      +1/2"
                      Lie Angle:
                      Standard
                      Loft Adjustment:
                      Standard
                      Grip Orientation:
                      Logo Up
                      30-Day Performance Guarantee:
                      I have read and understand the terms and conditions of the 30-Day Performance Guarantee.
                      Estimated Lead Time:
                      Due to extreme demand I understand there is an approximate lead time of 14 business days.
                      Order Modifications:
                      I have reviewed my order in its entirety, and I understand and agree that my order can not be changed more than one business day from receipt of my order confirmation.
                      Order Cancellations:
                      I understand that I can not cancel my order for any reason more than one business day after receipt of my order confirmation.
                      × 1
                      $931.00
                      Subtotal $931.00
                      Coupon discount (15% off) –$139.65
                      Shipping $43.81
                      TOTAL $835.16
                      First name Don. Last name Uthole. Now you know. And I predict you’ll love them.

Comment

• I sent some pictures to my son in Phoenix - he was surprised I "knew" about New Level - and he thinks highly of the club - and looks forward to trying them when we get together as a family in August. I'm excited too - as I matched that head with the Fujikura Pro 75's, With that expensive shaft - the total price amazed me. I saved enough money now to warrant a new three wood - a Ping 425 15* - I'll pick that up on Monday.

By the way - thanks - I think these will be great. I'll give them this year at least.

Comment

• Went to the range today to hit my new driver for the first time. Could not hit a bad shot. Hit about 25 shots. In a relaxed swing it has a perfect natural draw. When I tried to fade the ball it went straight as an arrow - or had just a slight fade. When I wanted to hit a 3/4 swing - bunt fade - it was low and left to right about ten yards. Here's the good part.

The guy swinging next to me was a 40 something black dude - jacked as jacked can be - and as he finished hitting his bucket - I asked him to help me out. Told him I got a new driver and I wanted him to try it and give me an opinion. Well - he hit ten balls with it and said that I just cost him $500 - because now he has to have one. This guy was pounding the ball and everyone of his shots was over 300. Turns out his name was Hilton - from Indiana - here on a sales trip for wholesale RV's. We started chatting - and this guy said he's killing it financially and he's six months out on back orders. He played college basketball - and takes his clubs on the road - plays golf all over the US. Funny how it goes - if you just say hello to someone - a door opens.

Comment

• Clack, have you switched to a flexi shaft yet?

Comment

Clack, have you switched to a flexi shaft yet?
                              That's a very personal question. Why don't we leave that between clack and his wife.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Clack, have you switched to a flexi shaft yet?
                                If Flexi Shaft is something specific - no - not sure what that is. I did downgrade my flex from stiff to regular with this set of clubs. Something Something about being in my 60's now - and with a back that is permarust - I've conceded a shaft flex step down to mother nature. That's also Why I ordered my clubs with graphite shafts and a plus 1/2" to maintain a little club head speed as I can. My next step will be to go to Panama and get one of those blood transfusions.

Last edited by clackamascoug; 06-15-2021, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X