No announcement yet.

The Golf Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've taken my son out the last two saturdays. It's been a lot of fun, although I think he's at least as interested in driving the cart than he is actually playing golf.

The key for that kid is making it fun. So, we play a scramble, and there are times when his drive(From the red tees)/chip/putt are used, and it makes the game cooperative. For now, I'm also letting him tee up his shots from the fairway. We'll have to practice more on the range before I start making him hit from the deck.

I realized I was hitting the ball off the toe of my club with shocking consistency, resulting in a low flight path and draw (bordering on a hook with my lower irons and woods). It turns out that on my downswing, I was standing up, causing me to reach for the ball and just barely getting the club face on the ball. I've quieted my lower body, and I'm striking my irons, 5W and 3W as well as I ever have. Driver is still a work in progress.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• I've played golf with a close friend for nearly sixty years, usually with other high-school-era friends, but sometimes with other friends/guests. My friend called me yesterday and asked if I remembered a round we'd played back in the '90s with a Michael Houghton who was then his colleague at Chiron. I didn't remember much about Houghton but I remembered the round. It turns out the guy is a co-winner of the 2020 Nobel Prize for Medicine, for having discovered the Hep-C virus. How many Nobel Prize winners have you played with?

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        How many Nobel Prize winners have you played with?
        I have played with many of the Nobel and great ones:
        • Donuthole
        • HFN
        • CJ
        • Tick
        • Drunk Tank
        • Clack
        • BYU71
        • Jay Santos
        • Shaka
        • RCViking
        • Clark Addison & Daughter!

I know I'm forgetting some others.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
          I have played with many of the Nobel and great ones:
          • Donuthole
          • HFN
          • CJ
          • Tick
          • Drunk Tank
          • Clack
          • BYU71
          • Jay Santos
          • Shaka
          • RCViking
          • Clark Addison & Daughter!

I know I'm forgetting some others.
          Good point. Nobel, Schmo-bel. I've played with several on your list, as well as Goatnapper and others. My crowning achievement was to have been teeing it up with Lavell and Robbie Bosco in connection with the 20th Anniversary Tournament for the '84 team, but my cycling skills resulted in a broken arm and hospitalization a few days before the event. Upon further reflection, I propose a post-COVID CS Back in Action Tourney in August/September 2021 to herald the start of a new season for BYU, fresh off an undefeated, Top 10 season.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            Good point. Nobel, Schmo-bel. I've played with several on your list, as well as Goatnapper and others. My crowning achievement was to have been teeing it up with Lavell and Robbie Bosco in connection with the 20th Anniversary Tournament for the '84 team, but my cycling skills resulted in a broken arm and hospitalization a few days before the event. Upon further reflection, I propose a post-COVID CS Back in Action Tourney in August/September 2021 to herald the start of a new season for BYU, fresh off an undefeated, Top 10 season.
            All those in favor, please signify by raising the left hand.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• We all know Gary Players wife is a church member - in this interview - it shows that it took hold on him. ( 3:26 )

https://youtu.be/H0T-20-8FJk
              Last edited by clackamascoug; 03-28-2021, 08:48 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• I am a horrible golfer. I suspect it is in large part due to the limited opportunities I have taken to get out on a course. This year, I am trying to get out more and will probably take some lessons from a golf pro in my old ward, but I am wondering if finally getting clubs that are not from a pawn shop would be of any assistance to my enjoyment of the game.
                My bag currently consists of the following pawn shop finds: Odyssey Versa 2 Ball, Taylormade 1R driver, Callaway Xhot 3 and 5 woods, Taylormade i7 rescue, and Ping i3 irons 4-9 and 48, 52, 56 wedges.

Those of you who are more into golf, would it be worth it to get some decent new clubs?
                “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                  I am a horrible golfer. I suspect it is in large part due to the limited opportunities I have taken to get out on a course. This year, I am trying to get out more and will probably take some lessons from a golf pro in my old ward, but I am wondering if finally getting clubs that are not from a pawn shop would be of any assistance to my enjoyment of the game.
                  My bag currently consists of the following pawn shop finds: Odyssey Versa 2 Ball, Taylormade 1R driver, Callaway Xhot 3 and 5 woods, Taylormade i7 rescue, and Ping i3 irons 4-9 and 48, 52, 56 wedges.

Those of you who are more into golf, would it be worth it to get some decent new clubs?
                  Answer: eventually. But not right away. The equipment you have is likely adequate as you learn proper swing mechanics and ball striking. The one exception is if your swing speed doesn’t match up with the shaft in your driver and woods/hybrids. Shaft can screw some things up if it’s too flexible for your swing speed. Can also cost you distance if shafts are too stiff.

There are some game improvement irons out there designed to help get the ball in the air more easily, but honestly, I think you’ll be better off if you can learn to hit the irons you have. Pingi3 are good clubs and when you can hit them fairly consistently, you’ll be ready for a fitting and some custom clubs.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• DH comes from a different golfing perspective than i do. I say upgrade those irons. I played some i3s for a while and couldn’t hit them worth Jack. When I got something a little newer, my enjoyment increased substantially.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      DH comes from a different golfing perspective than i do. I say upgrade those irons. I played some i3s for a while and couldn’t hit them worth Jack. When I got something a little newer, my enjoyment increased substantially.
                      I appreciate the input from both. I asked because I went out the other day and wasn't able to get but maybe one or two decent shots off (less than the usual 4-5). I don't know if it was first of the year, the distraction of trying to keep my two teenagers within some semblance of etiquette or just that the clubs need to be replaced to match my aging self. I am thinking about PXG since they have such a good deal for vets on their equipment. I also heard I could get fitted at the Fox Hollow Golf Club. Plenty to think about.
                      “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Well - back in the 70's - I learned how to play golf with the worst clubs available to mankind. For two summers I played with a set of Northwestern clubs that my dad paid $79 (new) for and I didn't know how bad they were. As I grew from a 14 year old to a 17 year old - I played with my friend who played with his dad's set of Kenneth Smith's - a set that sold for $1,000 in the 70's. When I tried them - it was like a whole new world opened up to me - and I knew there was a better way. I could swing with intention - rather than having to adjust my swing to my crappy clubs. Those clubs matched my natural swing - while I had to match my swing to my personal crappy clubs to to score.

After my mission - I got a set of Ping Eye and Yonex graphite driver,3 and 5 woods. With these clubs I got down to a 4.5 handicap and would shoot a 71. My best score ever. I've always had nice clubs - and passed them to my sons when I got new stuff. I even built my own clubs for a while - and still have a set of those - which play great. In 40 years - I've had about 10 sets of PINGS - and a couple dozen drivers. The perfect set of clubs is a set that is in sync with your swing - meaning the head will come through the ball at the right time - not eary - not late. The problem is not every swing is the same - thus practice makes perfect - as you sync with your clubs.

So my answer - your clubs are ok - but not great. With new stuff you might save a couple of strokes - but if you're going to take lessons and work at your game - you might as well do that with the clubs you're going to use - and a new set - or barely used - may serve you better in the long run.

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                          Well - back in the 70's - I learned how to play golf with the worst clubs available to mankind. For two summers I played with a set of Northwestern clubs that my dad paid $79 (new) for and I didn't know how bad they were. As I grew from a 14 year old to a 17 year old - I played with my friend who played with his dad's set of Kenneth Smith's - a set that sold for $1,000 in the 70's. When I tried them - it was like a whole new world opened up to me - and I knew there was a better way. I could swing with intention - rather than having to adjust my swing to my crappy clubs. Those clubs matched my natural swing - while I had to match my swing to my personal crappy clubs to to score.

After my mission - I got a set of Ping Eye and Yonex graphite driver,3 and 5 woods. With these clubs I got down to a 4.5 handicap and would shoot a 71. My best score ever. I've always had nice clubs - and passed them to my sons when I got new stuff. I even built my own clubs for a while - and still have a set of those - which play great. In 40 years - I've had about 10 sets of PINGS - and a couple dozen drivers. The perfect set of clubs is a set that is in sync with your swing - meaning the head will come through the ball at the right time - not eary - not late. The problem is not every swing is the same - thus practice makes perfect - as you sync with your clubs.

So my answer - your clubs are ok - but not great. With new stuff you might save a couple of strokes - but if you're going to take lessons and work at your game - you might as well do that with the clubs you're going to use - and a new set - or barely used - may serve you better in the long run.
                          I still have a Yonex five wood in my garage. I bet I kept that in my bag for twenty years, easy to draw or fade. I'm really not sure why I ever took it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post

I still have a Yonex five wood in my garage. I bet I kept that in my bag for twenty years, easy to draw or fade. I'm really not sure why I ever took it out.
                            The Yonex driver was so-so... but the 3 and 5 were the best clubs on the market in the early 80's. They were beautiful too - dark carbon fiber weave with a deep mahogany overcoat. They were twenty years ahead of most other clubs.

Comment

• We spent our Memorial Day weekend hanging out with a pga caddy, and he regaled us with lots of golf war stories- not sure how authentic these are.

The meanest SOB on tour is Ma11 Kuch3r. By this I dont mean that he is super competitive-- they all are super competitive. I mean that he derives glee from screwing over people - other players and public. The other golfers are completely convinced that he meant to stiff that Mexican caddy- just because he could. It would have cost him nothing (because about 50% of the purse goes to taxes) and would have been life changing for the caddy. I hear no one likes him.

Another story about Bret Saberhagen, who played a pro-am and was heard berating his caddy all the way down the first fairway.
                              "I dont want your advice, I dont want to know what you think, the only thing I want to hear come out of your mouth is the yardage from my ball to the hole. That is it. Do your understand?" His caddy nodded.
                              Then on the back nine, when Saberhagen actually had a chance of winning, his ball lay in this weird fold on the green, with a wonkie lie. Brett finally broke down and asked his caddy, "So, what do you think?"
                              Caddy replied, "Bout 6 feet."

Another time Jack Nicklaus was golfing with Arnold Palmer at the Salt Lake Country Club. He teed off and drove the ball to the center of the fairway, splitting it exactly in middle. As he walked up to his ball, a female onlooker called out "Spin it, Jack, spin it!" Jack looked up at her and said, "Lady, you can't spin it from the rough."

Also, Shark is not a nice guy. Not sure what that means.
                              Last edited by Katy Lied; 06-03-2021, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                                We spent our Memorial Day weekend hanging out with a pga caddy, and he regaled us with lots of golf war stories- not sure how authentic these are.

The meanest SOB on tour is Ma11 Kuch3r. By this I dont mean that he is super competitive-- they all are super competitive. I mean that he derives glee from screwing over people - other players and public. The other golfers are completely convinced that he meant to stiff that Mexican caddy- just because he could. It would have cost him nothing (because about 50% of the purse goes to taxes) and would have been life changing for the caddy. I hear no one likes him.

Another story about Bret Saberhagen, who played a pro-am and was heard berating his caddy all the way down the first fairway.
                                "I dont want your advice, I dont want to know what you think, the only thing I want to hear come out of your mouth is the yardage from my ball to the hole. That is it. Do your understand?" His caddy nodded.
                                Then on the back nine, when Saberhagen actually had a chance of winning, his ball lay in this weird fold on the green, with a wonkie lie. Brett finally broke down and asked his caddy, "So, what do you think?"
                                Caddy replied, "Bout 6 feet."

Another time Jack Nicklaus was golfing with Arnold Palmer at the Salt Lake Country Club. He teed off and drove the ball to the center of the fairway, splitting it exactly in middle. As he walked up to his ball, a female onlooker called out "Spin it, Jack, spin it!" Jack looked up at her and said, "Lady, you can't spin it from the rough."

Also, Shark is not a nice guy. Not sure what that means.
                                Ha! Bret is one of the heroes of my youth, and can be forgiven for being a jerk. Still, gotta love karma.

Comment

Working...
                                X