The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
    The more I study diet (I am really seriously considering going back to school to be a dietician), the more I am convinced that we Americans are really screwed up in the eating department. Badly. Right now I'm trying to drop about 20 pounds to an ideal running weight and I'm meticulously tracking not just calories but percentage of calories from various sources and matching it with my specific calorie needs for protein, carbs, fat, etc. It isn't as hard or time consuming as it sounds. And I'm finding out how poorly I understood - nay, understand - the relationship between what I need and what I actually eat. I thought I ate pretty healthy (save the last two holiday months) but I am seeing how wrong I really was. And I'm wondering why this isn't more emphasized in health class in HS.

I have to admit that I now look on most obese people with at least a mild amount of disgust. I have to work on changing that.
    Rest assured, no one who is obese is happy about it. Every such person has a story and a struggle. And some are largely victims of their metabolisms.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
      Spandex shorts will never touch my body. And my wife says I look graceful. And I can do an 11-minute mile when I want to!

[YOUTUBE]efIy19eCAiM[/YOUTUBE]
      That is moving - the fastest I've ever waked a mile is 11:52, but that was slightly down hill with a wind to my back - my normal 1st mile is between 12:15 -12:30

I won't wear spandex either

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
        Rest assured, no one who is obese is happy about it. Every such person has a story and a struggle. And some are largely victims of their metabolisms.
        Yes, that's why I am working on changing it. I have to remind myself that fit people can still be assholes - just very fit ones. It doesn't help, however, that I was definitionally obese and managed to fix that problem. I conveniently forget the 20 odd times I tried to do something about it and failed. And being fat like I was (70 pounds or so) is a different beast than being 200 pounds over.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
          That is moving - the fastest I've ever waked a mile is 11:52, but that was slightly down hill with a wind to my back - my normal 1st mile is between 12:15 -12:30

I won't wear spandex either
          Truth be told, it's probably been 10 years since I moved that fast while walking. I'm purely a fitness walker now.
          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
            Only a month?

It took me longer than a month before running started to gain even a semblance of being enjoyable.

Initially I had to run on a treadmill so that I could watch TV to keep myself distracted. Eventually I got so that I could run outside with an ipod and earphones and it was OK. Now, more often than not, I don't even run with the music anymore.

I find it relaxing in a way, and invigorating in another. Mornings that I get up and run I am much more awake earlier than mornings that I don't.

Honestly, I get those who don't like to run. I've been there myself. I don't know why I enjoy it now - it is difficult to explain. But I do know it took several months of forcing myself to get out and do it before it became something I looked forward to.
            it was admittedly not my most valiant effort. it's tough because i love cycling (and will probably do that exclusively come march/april), and it seems like a much more efficient way to get my heart rate up. i just did 1.5hrs on the trainer and stayed between 130 and 160 bpm. that's around 1400 calories for me (at least by a crude calorie counter). i'm not sure i can have that good of a workout rurnning. it also probably doesn't help that all my forays into running are during the provo winter.
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Right now I'm trying to drop about 20 pounds to an ideal running weight and I'm meticulously tracking not just calories but percentage of calories from various sources and matching it with my specific calorie needs for protein, carbs, fat, etc.
              Why is this a goal for you (getting to a runner's weight)? From your posts, I understand that you lost a ton of weight and are quite thin. Is it so that you are a more competitive racer? I can understand that. But it seems to me that runners generally are in good running shape and don't carry much fat, but are too thin and not really fit/in shape in a more general sense (though much more fit than the populace at large). If health and diet are a major concern, I'd think you'd want to avoid getting down to "an ideal running weight" and instead just maintain a healthy weight while trying to keep more muscle mass. Wouldn't that be better for future health?

Comment

• Today was a really nice day for a walk/run - almost 50 degrees and for most of the walk the sun was shining. It was the first time since last novemeber I ditched the sweat shirt and gloves.

I ended up going about 9.5 miles, jogged 3 walked the rest
                Last edited by happyone; 01-17-2011, 02:49 PM.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                  Why is this a goal for you (getting to a runner's weight)? From your posts, I understand that you lost a ton of weight and are quite thin. Is it so that you are a more competitive racer? I can understand that. But it seems to me that runners generally are in good running shape and don't carry much fat, but are too thin and not really fit/in shape in a more general sense (though much more fit than the populace at large). If health and diet are a major concern, I'd think you'd want to avoid getting down to "an ideal running weight" and instead just maintain a healthy weight while trying to keep more muscle mass. Wouldn't that be better for future health?
                  I did lose a ton of weight, but I gained some back during the holidays. So some of it is that. Right now I weight 197 pounds and am 6'1". I am carrying extra that needs to go.

I do want to get to a more competitive weight - about 175 or so. I've been as low as 183 in the last year. So we are not talking major changes.

Anybody that has met me will tell you I am not a small guy and am never going to be the super speedy stick runner.

You probably don't know enough runners if you think they are all skinny and look like Meb. I ran my last marathon with guys my height who were probably upwards of 240. And the best runner I personally know would whip just about all of us in any physical contest. He is a specimen in every way - I have played a score of sports with him and he is phenomenal. Ran cross country for a major DI program but could have been a WR or CB if he wanted.

Bottom line is that I want to be more competitive against my own times and I want to have less body fat.

Comment

• Breakthrough in running form today. I found that if I elevate my hips just a bit (as compared to my current form) it makes it feel like I'm running on water. Smooth, silent, speedy. It also helps to encourage the midfoot strike I'm trying to develop (photos of my marathon show me with a midfoot/heel strike, depending on the shot). I've already worked my cadence to be faster, and that's helping my speed as well. Hopefully I can continue to make little tweaks here and there to get a more efficient stride.

Comment

• I found this inspiring:

[YOUTUBE]8SbXgQqbOoU[/YOUTUBE]
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

I did lose a ton of weight, but I gained some back during the holidays. So some of it is that. Right now I weight 197 pounds and am 6'1". I am carrying extra that needs to go.

I do want to get to a more competitive weight - about 175 or so. I've been as low as 183 in the last year. So we are not talking major changes.
                        That sounds pretty reasonable. I'm 6'2" with a pretty good frame and 197 is about where I'd like to be. With my current muscle mass that would put me at about 11-12% body fat. That would be ideal for me. I'd go for 9-10% but I can't eat well enough to stay that low. 175 is pretty skinny though. Isn't it difficult to maintain muscle mass when you burn so many calories running?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                          Isn't it difficult to maintain muscle mass when you burn so many calories running?
                          In my case, I just never had muscle mass to begin with. I've since been doing strength training 2-3x/wk, especially while dealing with this injury and for the first time in my life I actually feel fit, overall. But to the original point, I am 6'1 from a skin-and-bones family, and before running got up to 195. Since running I got down to about 167, and in my two months (so far) recovery time have only added a couple pounds, still under 170. I wouldn't prefer to be this skinny, but it appears to be my body's 'set point' so whatever.

Comment

• As some of you might remember, I lost about 135 lbs a few yrs ago

Even with all the walking I do, I have a hard time keeping my wgt under 190. If l don't really watch what I eat, my wgt goes up quickly

FTR I'm 5' 7 3/4" ( I claim every little bit of height I can)

Comment

• So, I got back my videos and pictures from the marathon the other day. I was completely unprepared for what I found. My running form is pretty bad. I wouldn't go so far as to say horrible, but it's not very good. I had no idea until I saw myself on video.

Thankfully, I think the fixes are simple (although not necessarily easy) and I'm going devote the next month or so to retooling my stride. Only this time I am going to have my wife tape me so I can take a look at it. With the video camera and video editing software we have, I can run the videos in slow motion to see where I am still having issues.

As I'd like to very much still be running long distances in my 50s and 60s, I think this is something I've got to fix now. Hopefully I can do it without a coach.

Comment

So, I got back my videos and pictures from the marathon the other day. I was completely unprepared for what I found. My running form is pretty bad. I wouldn't go so far as to say horrible, but it's not very good. I had no idea until I saw myself on video.

Thankfully, I think the fixes are simple (although not necessarily easy) and I'm going devote the next month or so to retooling my stride. Only this time I am going to have my wife tape me so I can take a look at it. With the video camera and video editing software we have, I can run the videos in slow motion to see where I am still having issues.

As I'd like to very much still be running long distances in my 50s and 60s, I think this is something I've got to fix now. Hopefully I can do it without a coach.
                                don't know if it's possible or too much hassle, but I for one would be interested to see samples of what you're seeing along with ideas about how you are going to fix it, and thoughts about what you're looking for in your form. Would make a great contribution to this thread IMO. Feel free to disregard.

Comment

Working...
                                X