LDS Bear traps

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RC Vikings
    Known Heterosexual
    • Nov 2008
    • 8789

    #106
    Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    4. Wild Horses
    How about some Crazy Horses.

    [YOUTUBE]yiNnDpIW918[/YOUTUBE]

    Comment

    • Mormon Red Death
      BYU Delenda Est
      • Nov 2008
      • 8077

      #107
      Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      I had to think for a minute......horse racing.

      I was using it in the sense of "wild horses could drag me away." I almost didn't since I used "drive me away" but I felt the humor of it was good enough. I'm embarrassed that I had to stop and think about your good joke. I don't bet on horses, but I do always bet 6,8, and 10 the hard way with odds on my pass bet.
      No... i was playing off the Garth Brooks lyric.
      "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

      "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

      Comment

      • ERCougar
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 10978

        #108
        Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
        As I stated above, I was pondering this thread last night (now I can add CUF posts to, slow corners, injured O-line, and Sam Bradford that keep me awake at night). I read Faith's post right before logging off and couldn’t get if off my mind. I was touched by her honesty and sincerity. Of all the reasons someone leaves the church those who feel similarly to Faith is the most unsettling to me. The logic or illogic of polygamy, Egyptian papyri, and seer stones can be debated ad-nauseum but ultimately have little effect on me. My involvement in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is based primarily on my belief that I have felt an answer to prayer. I'm not a gifted enough writer to convey the feelings I have felt on many occasions (one of which was giving Father's blessing to my 4 kids this previous Sunday) reconfirming to me that this is the correct course of action for my life. However, if I believe in prayer and ask people to respect the conclusions that I draw from it, I must likewise do the same.

        When Faith states that her departure from Mormonism is the result of feelings from the Holy Ghost (which it appears she had felt and recognized many times prior, and I assume since) that makes my puzzler sore. I don’t like the zero-sum game- if you are right than I must be wrong, or vice-versa. Is it possible for different individuals to receive seeming contradictory answers, from God, to the same question? I think it is. I don’t feel Heavenly Father is required to answer all my “why” and “how come” inquiries. Yet I do feel I’m required to act upon those things he has “told” me. Nothing gives me greater comfort than the belief that a merciful and understanding Savior will be my judge and my hope that all the uncertainty and confusions of this mortal existence will someday make sense.
        I really appreciate this post. I'm not sure if you read my post in SM's temple thread, but I'm about to have a discussion with my bishop on my "issues" with the temple. For some reason, I feel obligated to defend my non-attendance with rational arguments, when in reality, while I had my reasons for my non-attendance, the chief reason was that it just didn't feel right. I don't know if it was my perspective at the time, my stage in life, my relationship with my wife, or what, but I just didn't feel like the temple brought me any spiritual strength and instead just left me empty. Mullahs (not saying you're a mullah...) expect me to completely accept their declarations of knowledge based on feeling, yet when I try to share the same feelings with the opposite conclusions, I'm skeptical that it will just be accepted. I really appreciate your willingness to accept that there may be another side of the coin.

        And to answer your question, yes--I do think the Holy Ghost can give two completely opposite promptings to two different people. I do feel like that taking a break from the temple was the right thing to do for me at the time, even inspired by God. Now I'm starting to feel the need to return to the temple. Can't explain why--I'm just ready to try it again. Maybe it's God. Maybe it's just curiosity.
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

        Comment

        • JohnnyLingo
          La Naranja
          • Nov 2008
          • 3976

          #109
          Why the terminology "bear trap"?

          Comment

          • Indy Coug
            Heartless Bastard
            • Dec 2008
            • 18747

            #110
            Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
            I really appreciate this post. I'm not sure if you read my post in SM's temple thread, but I'm about to have a discussion with my bishop on my "issues" with the temple. For some reason, I feel obligated to defend my non-attendance with rational arguments, when in reality, while I had my reasons for my non-attendance, the chief reason was that it just didn't feel right. I don't know if it was my perspective at the time, my stage in life, my relationship with my wife, or what, but I just didn't feel like the temple brought me any spiritual strength and instead just left me empty. Mullahs (not saying you're a mullah...) expect me to completely accept their declarations of knowledge based on feeling, yet when I try to share the same feelings with the opposite conclusions, I'm skeptical that it will just be accepted. I really appreciate your willingness to accept that there may be another side of the coin.

            And to answer your question, yes--I do think the Holy Ghost can give two completely opposite promptings to two different people. I do feel like that taking a break from the temple was the right thing to do for me at the time, even inspired by God. Now I'm starting to feel the need to return to the temple. Can't explain why--I'm just ready to try it again. Maybe it's God. Maybe it's just curiosity.
            My 5 second response about temple attendance: I don't get a lot personally out of temple attendance, but I have a strong testimony that what I am doing directly benefits others; therefore, I go (although I should go more often than I do).
            Everything in life is an approximation.

            http://twitter.com/CougarStats

            Comment

            • byu71
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 22070

              #111
              Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              This is an interesting thread, with a fine combination of seriousness and levity. Leaning for the moment more towards the latter, I've enjoyed imagining the reaction of some of the early Saints (say, a survivor of the Martin handcart company) listening to some of the gripes about meeting times.

              And you whippersnappers have it easy. Back in my day (the '60s), I had Priesthood Meeting from 8-9 AM, Sunday School from 11:30 tp 1:00, Sacrament Meeting from 6:30 to 8:00 PM, and we had to stay in our Sunday dress all day. Made us strong.
              Ah dang, the much feared "handcart" guilt trip. You Bishops know all the good ones.

              I am going to resolve to attend all my meetings and find a righteous woman and get married. Thanks PAC.

              Comment

              • Art Vandelay
                Striving for mediocrity
                • Jul 2009
                • 10516

                #112
                Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                I really appreciate this post. I'm not sure if you read my post in SM's temple thread, but I'm about to have a discussion with my bishop on my "issues" with the temple. For some reason, I feel obligated to defend my non-attendance with rational arguments, when in reality, while I had my reasons for my non-attendance, the chief reason was that it just didn't feel right. I don't know if it was my perspective at the time, my stage in life, my relationship with my wife, or what, but I just didn't feel like the temple brought me any spiritual strength and instead just left me empty. Mullahs (not saying you're a mullah...) expect me to completely accept their declarations of knowledge based on feeling, yet when I try to share the same feelings with the opposite conclusions, I'm skeptical that it will just be accepted. I really appreciate your willingness to accept that there may be another side of the coin.

                And to answer your question, yes--I do think the Holy Ghost can give two completely opposite promptings to two different people. I do feel like that taking a break from the temple was the right thing to do for me at the time, even inspired by God. Now I'm starting to feel the need to return to the temple. Can't explain why--I'm just ready to try it again. Maybe it's God. Maybe it's just curiosity.
                Perhaps one of the things I enjoy about this forum is the insights that people share that they may not be inclined to tell their own family, friends or priesthood leaders. This thread has given me cause for reflection and even insight in why some of my ward members may have a reluctance to attend the temple. I think I can do a better job of asking is there anything I can do to help with your concern and focus less on whether or not that results in a specific outcome- reactivation, temple attendance, quit hitting your husband,etc.

                thanks for sharing.

                Comment

                • SeattleUte
                  Faith crisis consultant
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 20837

                  #113
                  Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                  Given the propensity of posts/threads of this nature, I thought it would be valuable to make a hierachy of apostacizing issues. I am going to rank them in the relevance to me. Feel free to add, edit, alter to your liking.

                  1. Priesthood ban
                  1a. Polygamy
                  3. Masonic root of Temple ceremonies
                  4. BOA
                  5. Multiple versions of first vision
                  6. Seer stone and felt hat
                  7. BY's various doctrines(Adam-God, Blood atonement, etc)
                  I think it's a mistake to evaluate Mormonism on these terms.
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                  --Jonathan Swift

                  Comment

                  • Jarid in Cedar
                    CS Institutional Memory
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 13234

                    #114
                    Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                    Why the terminology "bear trap"?
                    Think of something that you didn't see(know about), that you stepped in and has enough force to hold you at bay for a period of time. Pitfall would be another word
                    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                    "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                    "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                    -Rick Majerus

                    Comment

                    • scottie
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 5247

                      #115
                      Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                      Perhaps one of the things I enjoy about this forum is the insights that people share that they may not be inclined to tell their own family, friends or priesthood leaders. This thread has given me cause for reflection and even insight in why some of my ward members may have a reluctance to attend the temple. I think I can do a better job of asking is there anything I can do to help with your concern and focus less on whether or not that results in a specific outcome- reactivation, temple attendance, quit hitting your husband,etc.

                      thanks for sharing.
                      AV, with the barcoded temple recommends, are you sent a report of your ward's temple attendance?

                      Comment

                      • JohnnyLingo
                        La Naranja
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 3976

                        #116
                        Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                        Think of something that you didn't see(know about), that you stepped in and has enough force to hold you at bay for a period of time. Pitfall would be another word
                        Hmm. Thanks for explaining.

                        Comment

                        • wuapinmon
                          Soul Plumber
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 30711

                          #117
                          Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                          No... i was playing off the Garth Brooks lyric.
                          Forgive my ignorance of Norman's finest's lyrics.
                          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                          Comment

                          • byu71
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22070

                            #118
                            Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                            Perhaps one of the things I enjoy about this forum is the insights that people share that they may not be inclined to tell their own family, friends or priesthood leaders. This thread has given me cause for reflection and even insight in why some of my ward members may have a reluctance to attend the temple. I think I can do a better job of asking is there anything I can do to help with your concern and focus less on whether or not that results in a specific outcome- reactivation, temple attendance, quit hitting your husband,etc.

                            thanks for sharing.
                            Let me just say, I appreciate those who have been, are or are going to be Bishops. I know Bishops say how blessed they are for having the calling. I know it is a position I would have no desire in seeking no matter how many times Bishops talk about how blessed they are.

                            I appreciate all my former Bishops. Some just because I can imagine the effort it takes and others because I truly felt they cared about me and not a peg they felt I should fit in.

                            I have heard two quotes from Bishops I know very well. One was after he was Bishop and we were sitting on the back row and a subject came up that caused him to say," look out over that congregation, it is a nice fascade, there are many, many problems under that fascade." Another Bishop when put in told me it would be a cake job, because his ward was so active and for lack of a better word, "great" people. He told me a year later he was walking in the neighborhood, turned to his wife and asked, "is there anyone around here who doesn't have a problem."

                            I don't say this to demean the members, it is not demeaning to have problems, it is life. I just don't think sometimes we realize how much Bishops deal with.

                            Comment

                            • wuapinmon
                              Soul Plumber
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 30711

                              #119
                              Originally posted by scottie View Post
                              AV, with the barcoded temple recommends, are you sent a report of your ward's temple attendance?
                              I asked about this in Fall 2007 when they switched over. The SP promised that no tracking was occurring, that it was all about security. I did not believe the statement at the time, nor do I believe it currently.
                              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                              Comment

                              • JohnnyLingo
                                La Naranja
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 3976

                                #120
                                Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                                I asked about this in Fall 2007 when they switched over. The SP promised that no tracking was occurring, that it was all about security. I did not believe the statement at the time, nor do I believe it currently.
                                Why lie about it?

                                Comment

                                Working...