LDS Bear traps

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Solon
    Lost in the flood
    • Nov 2008
    • 5747

    #121
    Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
    Why lie about it?
    I have no idea if they're tracking or not, but I assume tracking would be a violation of some kind of privacy law somewhere.
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

    Comment

    • Pheidippides
      Liberal Feminazi
      • Nov 2008
      • 14759

      #122
      Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      I asked about this in Fall 2007 when they switched over. The SP promised that no tracking was occurring, that it was all about security. I did not believe the statement at the time, nor do I believe it currently.
      I do know that there is no tracking report that the ward unit receives, unless something comes in the mail to the bishop's house (and he usually gives that stuff to me). I can see who has recommends and when they expire, and who used to have recommends, and I get a note when one gets revoked (i.e., somebody gets disfellowshipped or similar). But nothing tells me or the bishop, to my knowledge how much people go.

      I would not be surprised if the Stake had such a report, though.
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

      Comment

      • wuapinmon
        Soul Plumber
        • Dec 2008
        • 30711

        #123
        Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
        Why lie about it?
        He wasn't lying. I don't believe the statement. I'm sure he was just repeating what he was told and believed to be true.
        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

        Comment

        • Indy Coug
          Heartless Bastard
          • Dec 2008
          • 18747

          #124
          Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          I asked about this in Fall 2007 when they switched over. The SP promised that no tracking was occurring, that it was all about security. I did not believe the statement at the time, nor do I believe it currently.
          It's also to track utilization rates which is in turn used to help decide where to build the next temples. I have pretty good anecdotal evidence this is how Philadelphia got announced recently.

          But wuap, feel free to interpret in whatever way that allows you to keep that tinfoil hat on as snugly as possible.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

          http://twitter.com/CougarStats

          Comment

          • Art Vandelay
            Striving for mediocrity
            • Jul 2009
            • 10516

            #125
            Originally posted by scottie View Post
            AV, with the barcoded temple recommends, are you sent a report of your ward's temple attendance?
            No, neither does the Stake President or Area Authority. I have no idea above that level. In my stake we are strongly discouraged from having any kind of reporting of temple attendance. My SP, as do I, feel it is personal. I encourage collectively and individually for increased temple attendance (though after this thread I'm reconsidering how I do it) often, and ask some couples at tithing settlement or TR interviews but generally I don't pry much.
            Last edited by Art Vandelay; 09-02-2009, 10:29 AM.

            Comment

            • JohnnyLingo
              La Naranja
              • Nov 2008
              • 3976

              #126
              Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              He wasn't lying. I don't believe the statement. I'm sure he was just repeating what he was told and believed to be true.
              Right, so someone lied to him. Who exactly are you accusing of lying?

              Comment

              • Art Vandelay
                Striving for mediocrity
                • Jul 2009
                • 10516

                #127
                Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                He told me a year later he was walking in the neighborhood, turned to his wife and asked, "is there anyone around here who doesn't have a problem."
                Every and I mean 100% of the Bishops I have a close personal relationship have said that exact thing or at least a close derivative of it. I appreciated my wife and marriage before this calling that has increased at least 10 fold since I have gotten to look into the lives of many of the seemingly "happily married" couples in my ward.

                Comment

                • Indy Coug
                  Heartless Bastard
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 18747

                  #128
                  Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                  No, neither is the Stake President or Area Authority. I have no idea above that level. In my stake we are strongly discouraged from having any kind of reporting of temple attendance. My SP, as do I, feel it is personal. I encourage collectively and individually for increased temple attendance (though am reconsidering how I do it) often, and ask some couples at tithing settlement or TR interviews but generally I don't pry much.
                  Our ward in Indiana used to have a thermometer chart where we kept track of the number of ordinances performed by our ward. The bishop was told to stop doing that.


                  EDIT: I know our branch does ZERO tracking of temple attendance. The only thing we have information on is who currently holds temple recommends and whose recommend is expiring.
                  Last edited by Indy Coug; 09-02-2009, 10:36 AM.
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

                  http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                  Comment

                  • ERCougar
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10978

                    #129
                    Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                    No, neither does the Stake President or Area Authority. I have no idea above that level. In my stake we are strongly discouraged from having any kind of reporting of temple attendance. My SP, as do I, feel it is personal. I encourage collectively and individually for increased temple attendance (though after this thread I'm reconsidering how I do it) often, and ask some couples at tithing settlement or TR interviews but generally I don't pry much.
                    That's good to hear.
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                    Comment

                    • cowboy
                      Homer Weems
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 5740

                      #130
                      Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                      I do know that there is no tracking report that the ward unit receives, unless something comes in the mail to the bishop's house (and he usually gives that stuff to me). I can see who has recommends and when they expire, and who used to have recommends, and I get a note when one gets revoked (i.e., somebody gets disfellowshipped or similar). But nothing tells me or the bishop, to my knowledge how much people go.

                      I would not be surprised if the Stake had such a report, though.
                      The stake doesn't get one either.

                      EDIT: Didn't see AV's response. Apologies for being a hack.
                      sigpic
                      "Outlined against a blue, gray
                      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                      Grantland Rice, 1924

                      Comment

                      • Pheidippides
                        Liberal Feminazi
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 14759

                        #131
                        Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                        The stake doesn't get one either.

                        EDIT: Didn't see AV's response. Apologies for being a hack.
                        If that's the case, then my inclination is to say I don't care. They could always track ordinance rates, and I'm not concerned if a suit in SLC looks at my statistics or not. I think AV's approach is the right one, btw, but I could easily see less savvy local leaders being stupid about it.

                        All of this kind of stuff is why I'm currently considering asking for a release. I don't think I will, but I don't care to have to think about it. Maybe I will feel differently when we no longer have 6:00 am meetings.
                        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                        Comment

                        • byu71
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22070

                          #132
                          Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                          If that's the case, then my inclination is to say I don't care. They could always track ordinance rates, and I'm not concerned if a suit in SLC looks at my statistics or not. I think AV's approach is the right one, btw, but I could easily see less savvy local leaders being stupid about it.

                          All of this kind of stuff is why I'm currently considering asking for a release. I don't think I will, but I don't care to have to think about it. Maybe I will feel differently when we no longer have 6:00 am meetings.
                          I would like you to assure me that nothing I have said in any of my posts has influenced you at all in considering asking for a release.

                          Comment

                          • Art Vandelay
                            Striving for mediocrity
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 10516

                            #133
                            Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                            I would like you to assure me that nothing I have said in any of my posts has influenced you at all in considering asking for a release.
                            Have you ever said there are less idiots on the golf course on Sundays in Utah? If so then I would strongly consider asking for a release if I lived there.

                            Comment

                            • byu71
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22070

                              #134
                              Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                              Have you ever said there are less idiots on the golf course on Sundays in Utah? If so then I would strongly consider asking for a release if I lived there.
                              LOL, believe it or not, I don't golf on Sundays, so I don't know whose out there.

                              Comment

                              • Pheidippides
                                Liberal Feminazi
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 14759

                                #135
                                Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                                I would like you to assure me that nothing I have said in any of my posts has influenced you at all in considering asking for a release.
                                Nothing you have ever said in any of your posts has ever influenced me at all, period. So we're good.
                                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                                Comment

                                Working...