"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Omaha 680
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2011
    • 11181

    #1246
    Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
    I just took the sacrament to a couple this Sunday, where the man is on hospice. They just had a cracker to use, so when I was saying (reading aloud from D&C 20) the prayer I got to the bread part and wasn’t sure if I should say bread or cracker. I just went with bread since it was in the scriptures. But when I went to bless the water the scripture used the word wine, so I changed it. I then felt immediately dumb for not saying cracker in the first prayer.
    One of my mission areas was an Indian colony in the middle of nowhere, argentina. We met in a mud chapel and the members typically brought the bread. One sunday the bread didnt arrive. No one near the chapel had any and we were miles from anywhere we could hope to find some. So we picked some grapefruit off the tree outside and used that. I drew the bread prayer and when I got to "bread" I had the same hesitancy. I actually looked at my companion who just gave me the "I dunno" shrug. I went with "pomelo" because it just felt weird calling a grapefruit bread. I hope the prayer counted.

    Comment

    • creekster
      It is NOT a monkey!
      • Nov 2008
      • 22661

      #1247
      Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
      Last sunday my husband gave the sacto prayer, and just paused and faltered, then picked back up strong. No actual mistake but they made him do it again because he paused.
      That’s ludicrous.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

      Comment

      • falafel
        loves to talk on things
        • Mar 2009
        • 37986

        #1248
        Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
        I visited a ward a couple of weeks where the priest stumbled on a few words, after which the Bishop gave him that nod to do it again. What a dick.
        My son recently had to do it 5 times. It was also his first time blessing the sacrament.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

        Dig your own grave, and save!

        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • Bo Diddley
          Senior
          • Jul 2012
          • 18790

          #1249
          Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
          One of my mission areas was an Indian colony in the middle of nowhere, argentina. We met in a mud chapel and the members typically brought the bread. One sunday the bread didnt arrive. No one near the chapel had any and we were miles from anywhere we could hope to find some. So we picked some grapefruit off the tree outside and used that. I drew the bread prayer and when I got to "bread" I had the same hesitancy. I actually looked at my companion who just gave me the "I dunno" shrug. I went with "pomelo" because it just felt weird calling a grapefruit bread. I hope the prayer counted.
          I would have been more concerned whether the fruit counted.

          Comment

          • myboynoah
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 21719

            #1250
            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

            For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

            Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

            Comment

            • falafel
              loves to talk on things
              • Mar 2009
              • 37986

              #1251
              The First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces today that the leadership sessions for General Authorities, Area Seventies, and General Officers presently scheduled to be held on April 2–3, 2020, in conjunction with April general conference, have been postponed for six months, until October 1–2 of this year. Therefore, General Authorities serving outside of the United States and all Area Seventies are excused from attending the general conference in Salt Lake City.

              Furthermore, in view of statements issued by governments and health organizations, members of the Church living outside the United States are discouraged from traveling to the United States to attend the general conference sessions.

              “Out of an abundance of caution and with deep concern for global health considerations, as well as sympathy for all who have been or may be affected by the COVID-19 virus, we are postponing leadership meetings associated with the upcoming general conference,” the First Presidency said in a prepared statement. “We wish to be good global citizens and do what we can to limit the spread of this disease. We also want to relieve concerns of our leaders, members, and their families related to the uncertainties of travel at this time.”
              Translation: Don't get us sick!
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

              Dig your own grave, and save!

              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • Dwight Schr-ute
                Members Only
                • May 2011
                • 4917

                #1252
                Originally posted by falafel View Post
                Translation: Don't get us sick!
                Anyone that shows up at the Conference Center is immediately placed on “membership benefit restrictions.” Or whatever the hell the new terminology is.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                Comment

                • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                  Time to camp
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 26082

                  #1253
                  Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                  I always ask for the uplifted hand. I don't want to discriminate against those of the lefty persuasion.
                  I sustain with my uplefted hand!
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

                  Comment

                  • Dwight Schr-ute
                    Members Only
                    • May 2011
                    • 4917

                    #1254
                    "Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

                    General Conference will not be taped in front of a live studio audience. President Nelson did say that this would be a General Conference unlike one we’ve ever seen before.


                    https://www.ksl.com/article/46728732


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Dwight Schr-ute; 03-11-2020, 09:43 AM.
                    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                    Comment

                    • Katy Lied
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 9435

                      #1255
                      So if the risk is high enough to forbid members gathering at stake centers in order to watch general conference, does this mean that Stake Conference via URL is feasible?

                      Comment

                      • Dwight Schr-ute
                        Members Only
                        • May 2011
                        • 4917

                        #1256
                        Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                        So if the risk is high enough to forbid members gathering at stake centers in order to watch general conference, does this mean that Stake Conference via URL is feasible?
                        I thought that was an interesting detail. Especially as we continue to hold regular Sunday services. Like the scripture “And they did gather together cough.”


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                        Comment

                        • Clark Addison
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10308

                          #1257
                          Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                          So if the risk is high enough to forbid members gathering at stake centers in order to watch general conference, does this mean that Stake Conference via URL is feasible?
                          No, because Stake Conferences have been cancelled.

                          Suckers! We had ours a few weeks ago! And extra week of church for some of you!

                          Comment

                          • PaloAltoCougar
                            Semper infra dignitatem
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 16936

                            #1258
                            Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                            No, because Stake Conferences have been cancelled.

                            Suckers! We had ours a few weeks ago! And extra week of church for some of you!
                            Stake conferences are cancelled starting Monday. Ours is this weekend. Since I'm required to attend all three meetings, I think we need to be more aggressive in our prevention efforts.

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69703

                              #1259
                              Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                              Stake conferences are cancelled starting Monday. Ours is this weekend. Since I'm required to attend all three meetings, I think we need to be more aggressive in our prevention efforts.
                              Same here. I am not taking any chances.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              • Donuthole
                                Official Outgayer
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 25268

                                #1260
                                Does this apply to Youth Conference? :fingerscrossed:
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                                There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                                Comment

                                Working...