"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • UVACoug
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2013
    • 2685

    #1126
    Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    I think that both of these would allow a therapist to assist the person with bringing their behavior in alignment with their religious beliefs, as long as the therapist does not present it as a means to change sexual orientation.
    The term "sexual orientation" in the rule is defined to include behavior relating to sexual orientation. It is literally impossible, under the plain language of the rule, to conduct any kind of therapy intending to modify behavior relating to one's sexual orientation without being deemed to have the goal of changing sexual orientation, which is explicitly prohibited regardless of the stated exceptions. If the rule is implemented, the only type of therapy that would be legally permitted is therapy that affirms, or at least doesn't try to change, a patient's current behavior.

    The bill that was almost passed last session dealt with these kinds of problems, so it's not that they are impossible to address. If the rule passes, the legislature will almost certainly override it with a new statute ... which I am beginning to believe is what the regulators and proponents of this rule actually want. Then they can paint the legislature as the bad guys again.
    Last edited by UVACoug; 10-18-2019, 02:12 PM.

    Comment

    • MartyFunkhouser
      Disciple of RNGesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 18762

      #1127
      Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
      The term "sexual orientation" in the rule is defined to include behavior relating to sexual orientation. It is literally impossible, under the plain language of the rule, to conduct any kind of therapy intending to modify behavior relating to one's sexual orientation without being deemed to have the goal of changing sexual orientation, which is explicitly prohibited regardless of the stated exceptions. If the rule is implemented, the only type of therapy that would be legally permitted is therapy that affirms, or at least doesn't try to change, a patient's current behavior.

      The bill that was almost passed last session dealt with these kinds of problems, so it's not that they are impossible to address. If the rule passes, the legislature will almost certainly override it with a new statute ... which I am beginning to believe is what the regulators and proponents of this rule actually want. Then they can paint the legislature as the bad guys again.
      That bill was gutted so much that it became worthless and the sponsor pulled it
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

      Comment

      • MartyFunkhouser
        Disciple of RNGesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 18762

        #1128
        Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
        The term "sexual orientation" in the rule is defined to include behavior relating to sexual orientation. It is literally impossible, under the plain language of the rule, to conduct any kind of therapy intending to modify behavior relating to one's sexual orientation without being deemed to have the goal of changing sexual orientation, which is explicitly prohibited regardless of the stated exceptions. If the rule is implemented, the only type of therapy that would be legally permitted is therapy that affirms, or at least doesn't try to change, a patient's current behavior.

        The bill that was almost passed last session dealt with these kinds of problems, so it's not that they are impossible to address. If the rule passes, the legislature will almost certainly override it with a new statute ... which I am beginning to believe is what the regulators and proponents of this rule actually want. Then they can paint the legislature as the bad guys again.
        I think you have to include behavior. Otherwise, the therapy will focus on changing the behavior of being attracted to the same sex/gender. I don't see anyone reasonably interpreting it as if the individual says her or she doesn't want to have sex that the therapist is prohibited from providing support in that goal.
        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
        --Kendrick Lamar

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69742

          #1129
          Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
          I think you have to include behavior. Otherwise, the therapy will focus on changing the behavior of being attracted to the same sex/gender. I don't see anyone reasonably interpreting it as if the individual says her or she doesn't want to have sex that the therapist is prohibited from providing support in that goal.
          This bill is aimed at minors right? So we are going to prohibit therapists from telling minors not to have sex? That is ridiculous.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • UVACoug
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2013
            • 2685

            #1130
            Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
            I think you have to include behavior. Otherwise, the therapy will focus on changing the behavior of being attracted to the same sex/gender. I don't see anyone reasonably interpreting it as if the individual says her or she doesn't want to have sex that the therapist is prohibited from providing support in that goal.
            I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. The term "behavior" implies a volition (i.e., chosen) act. Even the Church agrees that attraction is not volitional at this point.

            With that said, I don't disagree that there may be some kinds of behavioral modification therapies that are not healthy and should be discouraged, if not outright banned, although nothing specific comes to mind right now. A blanket ban on all therapies targeted at a minor patient's sexual behavior, though, goes way too far in my opinion.

            I don't see how a reasonable person could not interpret the plain language of the rule not to constitute a blanket ban on all therapies targeted at modifying sexual behavior. I agree that most reasonable people would not want to enforce such a ban to its full extent, but I don't think the concern is with what reasonable people will do with the rule. The concern (at least my concern) is that unreasonable people, who might have the goal of attacking or embarrassing conservative therapists (including, obviously, those employed by the Church), would use the rule to challenge a therapist's license or as grounds for a malpractice lawsuit.

            Comment

            • MartyFunkhouser
              Disciple of RNGesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 18762

              #1131
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              This bill is aimed at minors right? So we are going to prohibit therapists from telling minors not to have sex? That is ridiculous.
              Of course not, nor does the rule do that
              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
              --Kendrick Lamar

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69742

                #1132
                Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                Of course not, nor does the rule do that
                How does that not fall under the category of behavior?
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • frank ryan
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 12385

                  #1133
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  This bill is aimed at minors right? So we are going to prohibit therapists from telling minors not to have sex? That is ridiculous.
                  A small but important distinction, therapists shouldn't be telling people not to have sex, but they should be supporting their client in being celibate if that is their goal.

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69742

                    #1134
                    Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                    A small but important distinction, therapists shouldn't be telling people not to have sex, but they should be supporting their client in being celibate if that is their goal.
                    Their "goal"? We are talking about **MINORS**.

                    So you are saying that an LDS therapist (for example at LDS family services) should be prohibited by law from encouraging a minor not to engage in sex? If that is the outcome of this proposed law, then the church is 100% right to oppose it.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • MartyFunkhouser
                      Disciple of RNGesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 18762

                      #1135
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Their "goal"? We are talking about **MINORS**.

                      So you are saying that an LDS therapist (for example at LDS family services) should be prohibited by law from encouraging a minor not to engage in sex? If that is the outcome of this proposed law, then the church is 100% right to oppose it.
                      That is not the outcome of the law and not why the church is opposing it.
                      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                      --Kendrick Lamar

                      Comment

                      • frank ryan
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 12385

                        #1136
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Their "goal"? We are talking about **MINORS**.

                        So you are saying that an LDS therapist (for example at LDS family services) should be prohibited by law from encouraging a minor not to engage in sex? If that is the outcome of this proposed law, then the church is 100% right to oppose it.
                        Good lord man. Slow down. I think you are assuming the worst about what I posted, because that isn't what I meant. In general, therapists shouldn't go around "telling people" what to do. The client's autonomy is important. Also, encouraging is a much much better word than telling. "Telling people" what to do isn't therapy, it's antithetical to it.
                        Last edited by frank ryan; 10-19-2019, 07:14 PM.

                        Comment

                        • myboynoah
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 21719

                          #1137
                          Latest communication from HQ is to limit Dec 22 meetings to Sac Mtg and focus on the birth, life, and mission of Jesus Christ.

                          Seems like a no-brainer, but sadly, I guess in some things we do need to be commanded in all things.
                          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                          For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                          Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                          Comment

                          • BigPiney
                            Huge Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 12374

                            #1138
                            Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                            Latest communication from HQ is to limit Dec 22 meetings to Sac Mtg and focus on the birth, life, and mission of Jesus Christ.

                            Seems like a no-brainer, but sadly, I guess in some things we do need to be commanded in all things.
                            Well, it is the day before Joseph Smith's birthday.

                            Comment

                            • myboynoah
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 21719

                              #1139
                              Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                              Well, it is the day before Joseph Smith's birthday.
                              lol
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                              For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                              Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                              Comment

                              • MartyFunkhouser
                                Disciple of RNGesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 18762

                                #1140
                                Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                                Well, it is the day before Joseph Smith's birthday.
                                Praise to the Man.
                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

                                Comment

                                Working...