"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • falafel
    loves to talk on things
    • Mar 2009
    • 37986

    #481
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Sounds nice in theory, but that would be impractical. How would new missionaries be trained? The senior companion would be in the proselyting phase of the mission, not the service phase. Pair the new missionaries together? Terrible idea. They need to be learning language for starters.

    Missionaries already dedicate a portion of their time for service.
    Plus can you imagine the dread when your service portion ends and you have to start knocking doors full time? Blech.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    Dig your own grave, and save!

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • creekster
      It is NOT a monkey!
      • Nov 2008
      • 22661

      #482
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Sounds nice in theory, but that would be impractical. How would new missionaries be trained? The senior companion would be in the proselyting phase of the mission, not the service phase. Pair the new missionaries together? Terrible idea. They need to be learning language for starters.

      Missionaries already dedicate a portion of their time for service.
      Agree, especially about the language skills. Those develop when you are forced to speak and understand. Thats less likely to happen when working along with other missionaries in service.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

      Comment

      • jay santos
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 13652

        #483
        Originally posted by All-American View Post
        I would send missionaries out for 2 years each (men and women alike), but instead of proselyting full-time, the first six months would be dedicated primarily to service and the remaining eighteen to proselyting. (Which isn't to say they wouldn't do any proselyting during the first six, or any service during the last eighteen; just that the bulk of the day-to-day work would be directed to service and proselyting, respectively.) Doing that will direct hundreds of thousands of man-hours from the least productive months of missionary service, especially in foreign-language missions, toward building good relationships with our friends and neighbors and doing a significant amount of good in the world. It would probably make for a better experience for missionaries too.
        I wouldn't split it up in terms of six months and 18 months, but I think it would be a really good idea to put a split like 50-50 on service and proselyting and work hard and spend some $ and set up a structure to make the service hours really effective and well organized. I don't think convert baptisms would go down at all. Missionaries probably spend 70% of their time doing finding activities or non-teaching at least. I doubt if time spent in service would be much less effective than what they're doing now regarding developing a teaching pool. ie spend four hours door knocking and you might find one person half way interested. Spend four hours in service and you casually send out the message you want to teach them and you probably get one that says "tell me what you guys are about".

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69703

          #484
          Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          I wouldn't split it up in terms of six months and 18 months, but I think it would be a really good idea to put a split like 50-50 on service and proselyting and work hard and spend some $ and set up a structure to make the service hours really effective and well organized. I don't think convert baptisms would go down at all. Missionaries probably spend 70% of their time doing finding activities or non-teaching at least. I doubt if time spent in service would be much less effective than what they're doing now regarding developing a teaching pool. ie spend four hours door knocking and you might find one person half way interested. Spend four hours in service and you casually send out the message you want to teach them and you probably get one that says "tell me what you guys are about".
          Seems funny to me that people assume that the missionary department/mission presidents/etc haven't thought of things like this or that it currently isn't being used.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • jay santos
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 13652

            #485
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Seems funny to me that people assume that the missionary department/mission presidents/etc haven't thought of things like this or that it currently isn't being used.
            I'm sure they're thinking about it. As for currently doing it? I've had three missionaries come and go the last few years, and none of them did service in a way that was any different that I did 20 ouch 30 years ago, four hours a week that was disorganized and pretty half assed.

            Comment

            • Pelado
              Bald not naked
              • Sep 2010
              • 21141

              #486
              Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              I'm sure they're thinking about it. As for currently doing it? I've had three missionaries come and go the last few years, and none of them did service in a way that was any different that I did 20 ouch 30 years ago, four hours a week that was disorganized and pretty half assed.
              The service activities were some of the best times on my mission. Way better than knocking clapping at the same doors we'd already gone to month after month.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

              Comment

              • BigPiney
                Huge Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 12366

                #487
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Seems funny to me that people assume that the missionary department/mission presidents/etc haven't thought of things like this or that it currently isn't being used.
                Well the missionary department didn't think of doing a post mission survey for senior couples till my dad contacted them and asked them to do that. They may have been trying to improve things, but they certainly weren't inviting any feedback.

                Comment

                • All-American
                  Right, as Usual
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 15665

                  #488
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Sounds nice in theory, but that would be impractical. How would new missionaries be trained? The senior companion would be in the proselyting phase of the mission, not the service phase. Pair the new missionaries together? Terrible idea. They need to be learning language for starters.

                  Missionaries already dedicate a portion of their time for service.
                  Yes, I remember spending monday mornings picking up garbage on the side of the road.

                  There would be logistical difficulties but nothing we could not figure out if we wanted.
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                  Comment

                  • Northwestcoug
                    Cocked and Loaded
                    • May 2011
                    • 18026

                    #489
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Seems funny to me that people assume that the missionary department/mission presidents/etc haven't thought of things like this or that it currently isn't being used.
                    I referenced Martinich (the lds growth blog guy) in another thread. He has publicly advocated for significant changes in the missionary program. When PFS interviewed the head lds missionary guy and talked about Martinich's proposals, he sounded open to change, but nothing specific.

                    After hearing from nearly 7,000 returned Latter-day Saint missionaries — with their reports of hasty baptisms, uncooperative members and cultural barriers — researcher Matt Martinich came to a strong conclusion: The church’s global proselytizing system needs “urgent reform.”
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69703

                      #490
                      Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      I'm sure they're thinking about it. As for currently doing it? I've had three missionaries come and go the last few years, and none of them did service in a way that was any different that I did 20 ouch 30 years ago, four hours a week that was disorganized and pretty half assed.
                      My kids all did substantial service. All US missions.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69703

                        #491
                        Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        I referenced Martinich (the lds growth blog guy) in another thread. He has publicly advocated for significant changes in the missionary program. When PFS interviewed the head lds missionary guy and talked about Martinich's proposals, he sounded open to change, but nothing specific.

                        https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019...church-growth/
                        That doesn't disprove my point at all.

                        Gary Crittenden, managing director of the church’s missionary department, is well aware of the Utah-based faith’s sliding growth rate — a trend plaguing many denominations — and has read Martinich’s critique and suggestions with interest.

                        “I want to make sure that I’m consuming ideas that people have for us,” Crittenden told The Salt Lake Tribune. “I don't think there’s anybody here that thinks we’ve got every great idea. We can learn from others and the experience of others. And we have tried to react to what we’re hearing from people, to listen and learn and try and be better as a result of that.”
                        What more would you expect him to say in such a circumstance?

                        I know for a fact that the missionary department routinely tests new ideas. The age change thing was tested in a limited fashion and was thoroughly discussed with mission presidents prior to application. They have done tests with varying levels of social media integration. They recently did a test (in the Pacific NW) where missionaries wear normal clothing and no name tags. And yes, they have tested various levels of service hours in selected missions.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • Northwestcoug
                          Cocked and Loaded
                          • May 2011
                          • 18026

                          #492
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          That doesn't disprove my point at all.



                          What more would you expect him to say in such a circumstance?

                          I know for a fact that the missionary department routinely tests new ideas. The age change thing was tested in a limited fashion and was thoroughly discussed with mission presidents prior to application. They have done tests with varying levels of social media integration. They recently did a test (in the Pacific NW) where missionaries wear normal clothing and no name tags. And yes, they have tested various levels of service hours in selected missions.
                          Not trying to disprove your point at all, bro. I'm just adding a data point to the conversation. I'm sure that there is extensive discussion within the missionary department that goes on all the time. I expect serious changes have also been discussed, now that growth has lagged for awhile. I think that Martinich's proposals are fairly interesting, though I doubt the church would implement some of the more 'radical' ones.

                          I think I've seen the elders in Oregon who are wearing clothing. They looked sharp, though in a Gap catalog kind of way
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

                          Comment

                          • MartyFunkhouser
                            Disciple of RNGesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 18751

                            #493
                            I predict minor administrative changes will occur at conference. I also predict that the minor administrative changes will be presented as major changes brought about by revelation from God.
                            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                            --Kendrick Lamar

                            Comment

                            • wuapinmon
                              Soul Plumber
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 30711

                              #494
                              Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                              I predict minor administrative changes will occur at conference. I also predict that the minor administrative changes will be presented as major changes brought about by revelation from God.
                              That's hardly a prediction. That's how it's gone down ever since I joined the Church.
                              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                              Comment

                              • Jeff Lebowski
                                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 69703

                                #495
                                Prediction: ex-mos and prog-mos will mock members for exhibiting some faith in changes and will downplay the significance of any change.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...