Mormon WikiLeaks (MormonLeaks)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • San Juan Sun
    Kicked to the curb
    • Dec 2009
    • 9214

    #571
    What a sad, depressing affair this entire thing is turning out to be. I don’t think any of us know enough to condemn the church at all, we simply don’t know what has been done, and leaping to the conclusion that his has all been mishandled is premature.

    Regarding Bishop himself, I thinks there’s enough smoke here to wager that he’s been guilty of impropriety for much of his life, and likely was involved in behavior that was criminal. I can’t prove this of course, and I doubt any of us ever will. If his activities were reported and investigated years ago, it does seem like he should have been barred from ever being in a position of trust ever again.

    The thing that really bothers me the most though, is the way that the online forums that I read (CB and CS) have treated this. It’s turned into another battleground of the endless war regarding the Church’s authority claims. I think this is the real tragedy. Seems like you have people trying to tease out any questionable action of the church as evidence of treachery and covering up. On the other hand, you have a lot of people ridiculously spinning this story in the best possible light, to the point of victim blaming. It’s all tawdry and unbecoming of a group of people who claim to be disciples.

    As I see it, people and churches have a moral obligation to protect the vulnerable members of our community. I think that’s what Christ would expect. This jockeying and spin doctoring strikes directly against that ideal, and it bumming me out. But maybe that’s what I get for reading CB!
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

    - Ty Cobb

    Comment

    • Eddie
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2009
      • 8098

      #572
      Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
      What a sad, depressing affair this entire thing is turning out to be. I don’t think any of us know enough to condemn the church at all, we simply don’t know what has been done, and leaping to the conclusion that his has all been mishandled is premature.

      Regarding Bishop himself, I thinks there’s enough smoke here to wager that he’s been guilty of impropriety for much of his life, and likely was involved in behavior that was criminal. I can’t prove this of course, and I doubt any of us ever will. If his activities were reported and investigated years ago, it does seem like he should have been barred from ever being in a position of trust ever again.

      The thing that really bothers me the most though, is the way that the online forums that I read (CB and CS) have treated this. It’s turned into another battleground of the endless war regarding the Church’s authority claims. I think this is the real tragedy. Seems like you have people trying to tease out any questionable action of the church as evidence of treachery and covering up. On the other hand, you have a lot of people ridiculously spinning this story in the best possible light, to the point of victim blaming. It’s all tawdry and unbecoming of a group of people who claim to be disciples.

      As I see it, people and churches have a moral obligation to protect the vulnerable members of our community. I think that’s what Christ would expect. This jockeying and spin doctoring strikes directly against that ideal, and it bumming me out. But maybe that’s what I get for reading CB!
      I'll give you an amen.

      This isn't the first church leader to fall from grace - and unfortunately is unlikely to be the last. Hopefully we can continue to get better dealing with it.

      Comment

      • tooblue
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 5136

        #573
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        You seem to be trying to parse the story to fit your current paradigm. Why not take it at face value?

        It is a beautiful parable. A simple story and we identify both with the pharisees and the woman. We all judge others and we all feel unworthy and in need of compassion and mercy at times.
        It is a beautiful parable, and we are expected to apply it in our daily lives. In order to do that, not only must I take it at face value but I must also 'parse it' in order understand better how it relates to my individual, personal experience. That's the point of a parable.

        Comment

        • Omaha 680
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2011
          • 11181

          #574
          Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
          What a sad, depressing affair this entire thing is turning out to be. I don’t think any of us know enough to condemn the church at all, we simply don’t know what has been done, and leaping to the conclusion that his has all been mishandled is premature.

          Regarding Bishop himself, I thinks there’s enough smoke here to wager that he’s been guilty of impropriety for much of his life, and likely was involved in behavior that was criminal. I can’t prove this of course, and I doubt any of us ever will. If his activities were reported and investigated years ago, it does seem like he should have been barred from ever being in a position of trust ever again.

          The thing that really bothers me the most though, is the way that the online forums that I read (CB and CS) have treated this. It’s turned into another battleground of the endless war regarding the Church’s authority claims. I think this is the real tragedy. Seems like you have people trying to tease out any questionable action of the church as evidence of treachery and covering up. On the other hand, you have a lot of people ridiculously spinning this story in the best possible light, to the point of victim blaming. It’s all tawdry and unbecoming of a group of people who claim to be disciples.

          As I see it, people and churches have a moral obligation to protect the vulnerable members of our community. I think that’s what Christ would expect. This jockeying and spin doctoring strikes directly against that ideal, and it bumming me out. But maybe that’s what I get for reading CB!
          I agree with this. It's too exhausting for me to say much more than it all makes me incredibly sad. I am sad this woman (and likely others) were victimized in such an awful way within the walls of one of the most significant sites of the church that I love. I am sad that there may have been failures of leadership at different levels within the church that made these alleged crimes not be properly assessed until now. If failures do come to light I hope those responsible are properly disciplined and that we learn to be better as an organization in the future.

          And it makes me extremely sad to see good members unwilling to admit that this may have been a very big screw up by the church and also to see many who were once our brother and sisters in the gospel take such pleasure in an awful situation because of the damage it can do the church. I'm not referring to anyone in this forum in particular but to family members and friends who don't post here.

          Comment

          • originalsocal
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2009
            • 1632

            #575
            Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
            I have a family member who was ex'd, who told us in so many words that you can't imagine how empty you feel when you lose the companionship of the spirit. When she was baptized again, she was very grateful to get it back again. She is a stronger member now than she ever was before the excommunication. So I can definitely see there is a group of people that may need to feel terrible remorse for what they've done. And going through that harrowing guilt is necessary for them mentally to get back on track.

            But this does not speak to the 'doctrinality' of excommunication. It just doesn't make any sense to me, in the context of Christianity.



            Let's assume that excommunication for some sins is required for forgiveness, and that this is the reason why the church has been commanded to do it. Is the stigma and all the other negative things associated with it necessary also? For instance, the public shaming of not being able to talk in church, no callings, etc. Is there any doctrinal need for this humiliation? Furthermore, it is LDS doctrine that ex'd members do not have the companionship of the holy ghost. For something that is taught to be so essential in this world, what is the doctrinal explanation of why an already struggling ex-member cannot have access to this gift to keep him/her on the right path to forgiveness?

            Thinking about my family member I referenced above, in my anecdotal experience she is the exception. I know of a handful of ex'd people in my area who fell off the grid, so to speak. All the trappings that go with the supposed doctrine of why excommunication; i.e. the capriciousness of the discipline, the shame involved of regular attendance after being ex'd, the long time before even being considered 'good enough' for rebaptism, were just not worth it for them. I know others work through it and are eventually grateful for the whole ordeal. But for a supposed step in the path towards forgiveness, excommunication sure does leave quite the scar.
            I agree that it does leave a scar. Having sat in on a number of disciplinary counsels I've come to realize that being ex'ed is not just a chance to feel the pain. When a person is ex'ed the covenants that they have made are gone. They are no longer obligated to live up to what they no longer have. From there you can go one of two ways---fight to get it back or live on free of the obligation that you probably didn't want to live up to anyway. You get to choose. Choice is always a good thing imo.

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69711

              #576
              Some new details here:

              A former president of the LDS Missionary Training Center has admitted that he took a young woman into a small room at the Provo campus in 1984 and asked to see her breasts, according to a report released Wednesday by Brigham Young University police.


              She went to BYU police last November, before the interview. Then she spoke with them in more detail after she interviewed him in December. Bishop was interrogated by BYU police and confessed to taking her to his "his small preparation room" and asking her to show him her breasts.

              Deputy Utah County Attorney David Sturgill said he could not pursue charges against Bishop because the statute of limitations had expired. In 1984, the legal deadline for filing a rape charge was four years, he said.

              “I have no reason to doubt the victim’s disclosure, and would have likely prosecuted Mr. Bishop, but for the expiration of the statute of limitations,” Sturgill wrote.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • Art Vandelay
                Striving for mediocrity
                • Jul 2009
                • 10516

                #577
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Some new details here:

                A former president of the LDS Missionary Training Center has admitted that he took a young woman into a small room at the Provo campus in 1984 and asked to see her breasts, according to a report released Wednesday by Brigham Young University police.


                She went to BYU police last November, before the interview. Then she spoke with them in more detail after she interviewed him in December. Bishop was interrogated by BYU police and confessed to taking her to his "his small preparation room" and asking her to show him her breasts.
                Why the BYU police? Because the MTC is a BYU property? I would think the Provo police would be better able to handle a case of this magnitude (if not for the SoL)

                Comment

                • Moliere
                  One man.....one pie
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 27884

                  #578
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Some new details here:

                  A former president of the LDS Missionary Training Center has admitted that he took a young woman into a small room at the Provo campus in 1984 and asked to see her breasts, according to a report released Wednesday by Brigham Young University police.


                  She went to BYU police last November, before the interview. Then she spoke with them in more detail after she interviewed him in December. Bishop was interrogated by BYU police and confessed to taking her to his "his small preparation room" and asking her to show him her breasts.
                  That is a good article.

                  Here's a very believable part that changes the narrative a bit:

                  “The way he uses the term, ‘sex addiction,’ and the way she uses it are different,” the son said. “Throughout his life, [my father] has struggled with … maintaining pure thoughts.”
                  I don't want to downplay the fact this man should never have been in the position he was in, but him admitting to sexual molestation or having a sex addiction should be interpreted using those terms used in the church, not as they are interpreted outside of the church. What he did was inappropriate, but I'm having doubts that it was actually rape or even attempted rape.

                  In full disclosure, I didn't read the transcript and have only seen summaries of what it entailed.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                  Comment

                  • ByronMarchant
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2015
                    • 360

                    #579
                    Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    I don't want to downplay the fact this man should never have been in the position he was in, but him admitting to sexual molestation or having a sex addiction should be interpreted using those terms used in the church, not as they are interpreted outside of the church. What he did was inappropriate, but I'm having doubts that it was actually rape or even attempted rape.

                    In full disclosure, I didn't read the transcript and have only seen summaries of what it entailed.
                    You should read the entire transcript. His memory is not poor, and his admissions are not subtle.

                    Comment

                    • Moliere
                      One man.....one pie
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 27884

                      #580
                      Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
                      You should read the entire transcript. His memory is not poor, and his admissions are not subtle.
                      I didn't say his memory was poor nor that his admission are not subtle. I'm saying that when he admits to having a sexual addiction, that is defined very differently in teh church than it is out of the church. That difference should be accounted for. Porn addiction is similar in taht it's much more broadly defined in the church than out.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                      Comment

                      • The_Tick
                        Made something of myself
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 7295

                        #581
                        Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        I didn't say his memory was poor nor that his admission are not subtle. I'm saying that when he admits to having a sexual addiction, that is defined very differently in teh church than it is out of the church. That difference should be accounted for. Porn addiction is similar in taht it's much more broadly defined in the church than out.
                        Lol...dumb dumb.

                        He's on old white male. He needs to be destroyed. Stay with the Ex-mo narrative please.

                        I wont listen to a Podcast, nor will I read the transcript. But...for someone that didn't want this to get out, how did the recording get out?

                        Someone isn't telling the truth.

                        Comment

                        • Pelado
                          Bald not naked
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 21142

                          #582
                          Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          That is a good article.

                          Here's a very believable part that changes the narrative a bit:



                          I don't want to downplay the fact this man should never have been in the position he was in, but him admitting to sexual molestation or having a sex addiction should be interpreted using those terms used in the church, not as they are interpreted outside of the church. What he did was inappropriate, but I'm having doubts that it was actually rape or even attempted rape.

                          In full disclosure, I didn't read the transcript and have only seen summaries of what it entailed.
                          Here are some of the highlights (lowlights?) from the transcript (please excuse any mistakes on my part in transcribing):

                          Originally posted by Victim
                          But you also kind of groomed me, a
                          little bit, and you took me down into the basement, it wasn't really a basement,
                          but it was downstairs, a little storage room.
                          ...
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          You took me down, you don't remember taking a sister missionary downstairs
                          into the basement? Okay, let me say this. I made all this time and you know
                          from a long time ago, 33 years ago was a long time. I need an apology, and I
                          need an admission, and I need to know what was ever done if anything, because
                          I have carried this and it has destroyed my life. So do you remember the room
                          in the basement?
                          Originally posted by Joseph Bishop
                          I do.
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          Do you remember the movies in the basement? The DVD, the VHS player and
                          the TV? No. Do you remember tearing my blouse, pulling up my skirt, ripping
                          the back of my skirt and trying to rape me? But you didn't, because you didn't
                          have a full erection. You don't remember that?
                          Originally posted by JB
                          No.
                          ...
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          You told me that ...
                          Originally posted by JB
                          Was I trying to titillate you?
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          I believe that you were grooming me, is what you were doing. And there was
                          another girl, we'll talk about her in a minute. Um, you told me that you liked it
                          when you and your wife, apparently, had dinner alone. Candlelit
                          dinner. And she had this ...
                          Originally posted by JB
                          We would take
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          Yes, and she was, you liked it when she pulled it down over her breasts and
                          exposed her breasts at dinner.
                          Originally posted by JB
                          Yes.
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          Okay. But, okay, so, your addiction was the problem. I understand that. I
                          understand that more than you know, only because I worked in substance
                          abuse, addiction.
                          Originally posted by JB
                          From the other side of it was, [Redacted] was not...
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          You know what, we don't need to talk about [Redacted]. The fact that I was a
                          missionary, and you were my mission president and you were sharing that was
                          the problem.
                          Originally posted by JB
                          That's true.
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          Yeah. So, but you had that storage room. Why did you take me down there?
                          And why would you do what you tried to do?
                          Originally posted by JB
                          I think at that time I was still very much addicted.
                          ...
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          Do you remember the other girl with me? The other one you were grooming?
                          Her name was [Redacted].
                          Originally posted by JB
                          [Redacted]
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          Yes, that's her last name.
                          Originally posted by JB
                          I remember [Redacted].
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          Did you molest her?
                          Originally posted by JB
                          Yes
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          Did you [inaudible]?
                          Originally posted by JB
                          Oh yes.
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          To her?
                          Originally posted by JB
                          Yes.
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          Directly?
                          Originally posted by JB
                          Yes.
                          ...
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          Well when did you molest her?
                          Originally posted by JB
                          When she was living with us.
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          Oh God.
                          Originally posted by JB
                          I want to tell you about this.
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          Please do.
                          Originally posted by JB
                          [Redacted] came in and she wanted a back rub. And I rubbed her back.
                          And that got too much...frisky. that's all that ever happened with all, and
                          with [Redacted] ... I must have, you know that was hard on [Redacted] too.
                          ...
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          So the truth is, even
                          though you tried to rape me, and you couldn't get full erection, you still --
                          Originally posted by JB
                          Why would I not remember that?
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          Well.
                          Originally posted by JB
                          That's terrible.
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          Yeah, that was pretty damn terrible. But I'd rather be me than you.
                          Originally posted by JB
                          I would rather be you than me.
                          ...
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          If this goes public, how many women are going to come and say oh my god, me
                          too. How many?
                          Originally posted by JB
                          Point well taken.
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          Okay, I know this point is well taken. I want to know how many. I want to know
                          that I am not the only one,. I want to know that I am not the only one.
                          Originally posted by JB
                          You are not the only one.
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          I know I'm not the only one. How many are there?
                          Originally posted by JB
                          When I was a young missionary, in Argentina, [inaudible 01:15:08], there was a
                          lady. I went to the mission president, halfway confessed, didn't tell him all that
                          happened, so you can't blame him for not [inaudible 01:15:30]. There was
                          nothing .. when I was in Florida, there was this lady I just told you about.
                          ...
                          Originally posted by JB
                          I feel for the first time in those 30-something, longer than that for me, that I
                          have been successful, at last. I no longer have those feelings. I don't have the
                          stuff that sleeps with me bugging me all the time. I don't. It's gone. I don't know
                          how long. It's been like alcoholics anonymous where they get up and say, "Hi,
                          I'm" ...
                          Originally posted by Victim
                          "I'm Bob. I'm an alcoholic".
                          Originally posted by JB
                          Yes. I'm Joe. I'm a sexual predator. Now then, how long you've been clean from
                          alcohol? X-number of years.
                          Last edited by Pelado; 03-22-2018, 07:17 AM.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

                          Comment

                          • jay santos
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 13652

                            #583
                            Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            I didn't say his memory was poor nor that his admission are not subtle. I'm saying that when he admits to having a sexual addiction, that is defined very differently in teh church than it is out of the church. That difference should be accounted for. Porn addiction is similar in taht it's much more broadly defined in the church than out.
                            I think this is a key point. It's messy because a) he's 85 and possibly not full mental state b) he has history of confessing half truths, so maybe nothing he said is trustworthy. But.

                            He calls himself a sex addict, but he basically gives a 4th step AA inventory to her in the interview, and it's bad but maybe doesn't support the Exmo view of this. She keeps asking, is there anything else. And he honestly seems to be trying to rack his brain to remember everything. He identifies about five total sexual experiences starting from when he was a missionary. He acknowledges that he had no business interviewing young women on sexual issues. But he seems to be implying more that it's titillating his brain than he's acting on it. He admits to "molesting" the other sister missionary. But when it is explained, it seems to be a consensual sexual act between two adults (granted the girl is much younger and he's in an authority position, so it's obviously not morally correct) that starts with a back rub and "gets frisky". He seems to be heavily shame based and when he seems to be admitting to being a sex addict and predator, he is talking about this in terms of the standard of an LDS leader not what most people think of as a sex addict and predator.
                            Last edited by jay santos; 03-22-2018, 07:22 AM.

                            Comment

                            • Moliere
                              One man.....one pie
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 27884

                              #584
                              Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                              I think this is a key point. It's messy because a) he's 85 and possibly not full mental state b) he has history of confessing half truths, so maybe nothing he said is trustworthy. But.

                              He calls himself a sex addict, but he basically gives a 4th step AA inventory to her in the interview, and it's bad but maybe doesn't support the Exmo view of this. She keeps asking, is there anything else. And he honestly seems to be trying to rack his brain to remember everything. He identifies about five total sexual experiences starting from when he was a missionary. He acknowledges that he had no business interviewing young women on sexual issues. But he seems to be implying more that it's titillating his brain than he's acting on it. He admits to "molesting" the other sister missionary. But when it is explained, it seems to be a consensual sexual act between two adults (granted the girl is much younger and he's in an authority position, so it's obviously not morally correct) that starts with a back rub and "gets frisky". He seems to be heavily shame based and when he seems to be admitting to being a sex addict and predator, he is talking about this in terms of the standard of an LDS leader not what most people think of as a sex addict and predator.
                              Yes, you said it better than me.

                              He's a sexual predator, I get that. He did inappropriate things and should be disciplined by the church. He even confessed to doing inappropriate things. But there's no evidence or confession of rape or attempted rape so the exmo narrative of this guy raping people isn't really holding up. This doesn't discount that fact that church leaders should have removed him from his position when the accusations were made, but even MPFunk seems willing to give a small pass to the church back then given the very different environment in society towards this stuff.

                              Thankfully things have changed for the better even before this allegation, as evidence by what our resident bishops have mentioned.

                              I guess I'm more upset that Mormonleaks got the scoop before I could put this lady on a podcast episode
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                              Comment

                              • Green Monstah
                                Royal Rooter
                                • Aug 2010
                                • 13961

                                #585
                                Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                                Lol...dumb dumb.

                                He's on old white male. He needs to be destroyed. Stay with the Ex-mo narrative please.

                                I wont listen to a Podcast, nor will I read the transcript. But...for someone that didn't want this to get out, how did the recording get out?

                                Someone isn't telling the truth.
                                I'm the President of The_Tick fanclub, but if this is true, why the hell are you commenting in the thread?
                                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                                "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                                Comment

                                Working...