Temple Recommend

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • FN Phat
    I ♥ gateway sex
    • Feb 2009
    • 8691

    #16
    Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    There are Asians in Kentucky?
    He lives in Ill.
    I'm your huckleberry.


    "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

    Comment

    • ERCougar
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 10978

      #17
      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      they're such dorks. they could have asked that matter of factly as they were seeing you to the door.
      Have to agree with this.
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

      Comment

      • CardiacCoug
        вот так штука
        • Nov 2008
        • 11013

        #18
        Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
        They disfavor working women. They wanted to know if your wife is a potential trouble maker.

        they're such dorks. they could have asked that matter of factly as they were seeing you to the door.
        Yeah. To say at the end of the official Temple Recommend questions that you would like to ask some "other questions" sort of implies that said questions are a continuation of the interview.

        It's better to just ask those questions about family situations informally as part of the small talk prior to the interview.

        Comment

        • Solon
          Lost in the flood
          • Nov 2008
          • 5747

          #19
          Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
          Yeah. To say at the end of the official Temple Recommend questions that you would like to ask some "other questions" sort of implies that said questions are a continuation of the interview.

          It's better to just ask those questions about family situations informally as part of the small talk prior to the interview.
          We used to have a SP member in our area who did all of our interviews (the Stake is 1000+ square miles so this guy was the only option for the SP segment). Before the interview began, he would always look very intently at the interviewee, and say, "You need to imagine I'm Jesus for the purposes of this interview; you should treat this conversation as if it were the Savior himself sitting here. Now, do you have any questions you want to ask me?"

          I was uncomfortable with this scenario, to say the least. But I needed that recommend for family reasons, and having heard the old story before, I said, "I wouldn't ask questions of Jesus. I would only listen."

          (I think I aced that test.)

          My friend was in the interview, had the same question posed by "Jesus", and said, "I want to know if my kids are going to make it." The SP member posing at Jesus said, "That's a wrong question to ask. You can't ask that."

          My friend said, "How do you know? I would ask Jesus about my kids."

          SP Member: "Well, he's not going to tell you. Jesus wouldn't answer that question."

          My friend: "How would you know? You're not really Jesus."

          -- The interview ended early; she didn't get the recommend.
          "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
          -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69752

            #20
            Originally posted by Solon View Post
            We used to have a SP member in our area who did all of our interviews (the Stake is 1000+ square miles so this guy was the only option for the SP segment). Before the interview began, he would always look very intently at the interviewee, and say, "You need to imagine I'm Jesus for the purposes of this interview; you should treat this conversation as if it were the Savior himself sitting here. Now, do you have any questions you want to ask me?"

            I was uncomfortable with this scenario, to say the least. But I needed that recommend for family reasons, and having heard the old story before, I said, "I wouldn't ask questions of Jesus. I would only listen."

            (I think I aced that test.)

            My friend was in the interview, had the same question posed by "Jesus", and said, "I want to know if my kids are going to make it." The SP member posing at Jesus said, "That's a wrong question to ask. You can't ask that."

            My friend said, "How do you know? I would ask Jesus about my kids."

            SP Member: "Well, he's not going to tell you. Jesus wouldn't answer that question."

            My friend: "How would you know? You're not really Jesus."

            -- The interview ended early; she didn't get the recommend.
            That's funny.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • ERCougar
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 10978

              #21
              Originally posted by Solon View Post
              We used to have a SP member in our area who did all of our interviews (the Stake is 1000+ square miles so this guy was the only option for the SP segment). Before the interview began, he would always look very intently at the interviewee, and say, "You need to imagine I'm Jesus for the purposes of this interview; you should treat this conversation as if it were the Savior himself sitting here. Now, do you have any questions you want to ask me?"

              I was uncomfortable with this scenario, to say the least. But I needed that recommend for family reasons, and having heard the old story before, I said, "I wouldn't ask questions of Jesus. I would only listen."

              (I think I aced that test.)

              My friend was in the interview, had the same question posed by "Jesus", and said, "I want to know if my kids are going to make it." The SP member posing at Jesus said, "That's a wrong question to ask. You can't ask that."

              My friend said, "How do you know? I would ask Jesus about my kids."

              SP Member: "Well, he's not going to tell you. Jesus wouldn't answer that question."

              My friend: "How would you know? You're not really Jesus."

              -- The interview ended early; she didn't get the recommend.
              For some reason, this evokes images of Michael Scott in my mind--object lessons running off the tracks. LOL @ "Well, he's not going to tell you. Jesus wouldn't answer that question."
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

              Comment

              • SoCalCoug
                Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant
                • Nov 2008
                • 5214

                #22
                Originally posted by Solon View Post
                We used to have a SP member in our area who did all of our interviews (the Stake is 1000+ square miles so this guy was the only option for the SP segment). Before the interview began, he would always look very intently at the interviewee, and say, "You need to imagine I'm Jesus for the purposes of this interview; you should treat this conversation as if it were the Savior himself sitting here. Now, do you have any questions you want to ask me?"

                I was uncomfortable with this scenario, to say the least. But I needed that recommend for family reasons, and having heard the old story before, I said, "I wouldn't ask questions of Jesus. I would only listen."

                (I think I aced that test.)

                My friend was in the interview, had the same question posed by "Jesus", and said, "I want to know if my kids are going to make it." The SP member posing at Jesus said, "That's a wrong question to ask. You can't ask that."

                My friend said, "How do you know? I would ask Jesus about my kids."

                SP Member: "Well, he's not going to tell you. Jesus wouldn't answer that question."

                My friend: "How would you know? You're not really Jesus."

                -- The interview ended early; she didn't get the recommend.
                I have a whole list of questions:

                1. Who really shot Kennedy?
                2. Were there horses in mesoamerica in BOM times?
                3. Who was Jack the Ripper?
                4. Does Bigfoot really exist?
                5. Why are people gay?
                If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

                "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

                "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

                Comment

                • TripletDaddy
                  sweet triple
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 58186

                  #23
                  Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                  He is asian, as well as my wife...could be something to that.
                  The notion of the SP asking these side questions about your wife at the end of the interview reminds me of this skit from SNL.

                  "and now, as a follow up question......what's your situation?"

                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • Solon
                    Lost in the flood
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 5747

                    #24
                    Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                    I have a whole list of questions:

                    1. Who really shot Kennedy?
                    2. Were there horses in mesoamerica in BOM times?
                    3. Who was Jack the Ripper?
                    4. Does Bigfoot really exist?
                    5. Why are people gay?

                    You just made me laugh loud enough to disturb my sleeping kid.

                    How sweet would that be to go into the interview with one of those canary pads full of handwritten questions like this. "Okay, Jesus. First, how did the Egyptians raise obelisks? Second, . . . . . "?
                    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

                    Comment

                    • UtahDan
                      *
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 14496

                      #25
                      Question #1 for me would be why is the plan so inefficient in this life, IOW, why is the plan to have such a teeny tiny number of people hear the gospel and be members of the church.

                      I would also ask where all the evidence of BOM historical sites is.

                      Then I would ask him what He likes to do. What He enjoys. And what do you DO with eternity? That is just a really long time. What do you do with it all? Is there ever and end?

                      Comment

                      • wuapinmon
                        Soul Plumber
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 30711

                        #26
                        Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                        Question #1 for me would be why is the plan so inefficient in this life, IOW, why is the plan to have such a teeny tiny number of people hear the gospel and be members of the church.

                        I would also ask where all the evidence of BOM historical sites is.

                        Then I would ask him what He likes to do. What He enjoys. And what do you DO with eternity? That is just a really long time. What do you do with it all? Is there ever and end?
                        #1 Why did you build your own gallows?

                        #2 Explain hermaphrodites....if "gender" is eternal, like the Proclamation on the Family says, what gives?

                        #3 Dinosaurs, dude....couldn't a little guidance here have helped?

                        #4 Will Duke Nukem 3D ever be released? Starcraft II?

                        #5 What did Sawyer whisper in Kate's ear before he jumped out of the helicopter?

                        #6 Was Homer a real person?

                        #7 Did you hate Cabin Boy as much as I did?

                        #8 Would Japan have surrendered if we had detonated one of the a-bombs on Mt. Fuji instead of Nagasaki?

                        #9 Can Judas be forgiven?

                        #10 Did you command Peter to betray you or just prophesy that he would?
                        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                        Comment

                        • wuapinmon
                          Soul Plumber
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 30711

                          #27
                          So, I spent an hour with my bishop today for my temple recommend. I laid it all out there for him, my doubts, my skepticism, my grumbling and dissension, how I wake up sometimes in the middle of the night and think "this is all there is....why? Why is there anything instead of nothing? Why would we be at all if there weren't something higher to it all?" We both shared our feelings on things, and he came back to me and said that he thinks that I'm one of the more caring people he knows in the Church because I want to make sure that the right thing is always done. He says that he thinks I'm more like other people than I realize, only that I'm more honest--and vocal--about how I feel than others typically are. He also says that he has no reservations about giving me a temple recommend as long as I do not. So, I have one again.
                          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                          Comment

                          • Vic Vega
                            Junior Member
                            • Jun 2013
                            • 552

                            #28
                            Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                            He says that he thinks I'm more like other people than I realize, only that I'm more honest--and vocal--about how I feel than others typically are. He also says that he has no reservations about giving me a temple recommend as long as I do not. So, I have one again.
                            I agree with your bishop about those thoughts and feelings being normal, but usually not shared. I'm not sure what to think about the reluctance to be "real" at church though. If everyone moaned all the time, it would not be a positive experience and might never help lead forward. On the flip side, I often feel like church is just a trip to the stepford club house, and people don't really open up, reducing the chance to have a meaningful experience.

                            But I digress. There are three real and troubling questions for you after reading this thread:

                            Question #1 What the hell is wrong with you?
                            Sub Question #1A: You really did not like the Cabin Boy?
                            Sub question #1B: Why would you assume a great guy like Jesus would hate the Cabin Boy?

                            Comment

                            • wuapinmon
                              Soul Plumber
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 30711

                              #29
                              Originally posted by Vic Vega View Post
                              I agree with your bishop about those thoughts and feelings being normal, but usually not shared. I'm not sure what to think about the reluctance to be "real" at church though. If everyone moaned all the time, it would not be a positive experience and might never help lead forward. On the flip side, I often feel like church is just a trip to the stepford club house, and people don't really open up, reducing the chance to have a meaningful experience.

                              But I digress. There are three real and troubling questions for you after reading this thread:

                              Question #1 What the hell is wrong with you?
                              Sub Question #1A: You really did not like the Cabin Boy?
                              Sub question #1B: Why would you assume a great guy like Jesus would hate the Cabin Boy?
                              Cabin Boy is the only film I've ever seen for which I demanded my money back. My demand was honored.
                              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                              Comment

                              • ewth8tr
                                Reverend of Irreverence
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 2347

                                #30
                                Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                                Cabin Boy is the only film I've ever seen for which I demanded my money back. My demand was honored.
                                Blasphemy.


                                Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
                                "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

                                Comment

                                Working...