Signs of the Second Coming

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Moliere
    One man.....one pie
    • Oct 2009
    • 27880

    #166
    Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I can't fathom believing in a literal second coming, but it's clearly an important tenet to many, and for the record, I'm super okay with people believing what they will.

    You have to believe in a first coming first.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

    Comment

    • smokymountainrain
      Impressive Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22593

      #167
      Originally posted by Moliere View Post

      You have to believe in a first coming first.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

      Comment

      • clackamascoug
        Banned
        • Dec 2009
        • 9709

        #168
        Originally posted by Moliere View Post

        You have to believe in a first coming first.

        Comment

        • BlueK
          Senior Member
          • May 2011
          • 7192

          #169
          Rapture anxiety? Hadn't heard of that before, but I found this article interesting in learning how central this Evangelical doctrine is in the everyday religious thoughts of many within that strain of Christianity.

          Comment

          • Pelado
            Bald not naked
            • Sep 2010
            • 21141

            #170
            Originally posted by BlueK View Post
            Rapture anxiety? Hadn't heard of that before, but I found this article interesting in learning how central this Evangelical doctrine is in the everyday religious thoughts of many within that strain of Christianity.

            https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/27/us/ra...cec/index.html
            I like the name they use:

            Ajoy is one of a growing network of “exvangelicals” who have removed themselves from what they now view as the damaging beliefs of some evangelical, Pentecostal and Baptist churches.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

            Comment

            • Non Sequitur
              Where did I put my bodkin
              • Nov 2008
              • 5773

              #171
              Originally posted by BlueK View Post
              Rapture anxiety? Hadn't heard of that before, but I found this article interesting in learning how central this Evangelical doctrine is in the everyday religious thoughts of many within that strain of Christianity.

              https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/27/us/ra...cec/index.html
              When I was a kid it was fashionable to teach us that we were living in the last minute of the last hour of the last dispensation of the fullness of times. I was a bit precocious so I went ahead and did the math based on a 6,000 year dispensation and realized that there were only about 4 years left. By the time I left on my mission the 4 years were long past, and I had pretty much come to the conclusion that the second coming wasn't really a thing. Fortunately, I was saved a subsequent 40 years of rapture anxiety.
              Last edited by Non Sequitur; 09-27-2022, 05:48 PM.
              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

              Comment

              • Pelado
                Bald not naked
                • Sep 2010
                • 21141

                #172
                I remember taking some kind of survey in high school. One of the questions was something like "Do you expect the world to be better in 20__ than it is now?" I don't remember the exact year included in the inquiry, but it was probably at least 2050. I answered "yes" at least in part because I was expecting the second coming to happen by then.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

                Comment

                • wuapinmon
                  Soul Plumber
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 30711

                  #173
                  My go-to response to people who ask me about my atheism is pretty much this: I believe in Jesus' teachings. If there's an afterlife, I should be good. If there's not, I'm still good. If they mention my going to hell, I simply respond, "I hope you don't go there" and leave them guessing.
                  "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                  The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                  Comment

                  • YOhio
                    Hipster Mode
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 26165

                    #174
                    Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                    My go-to response to people who ask me about my atheism is pretty much this: I believe in Jesus' teachings. If there's an afterlife, I should be good. If there's not, I'm still good. If they mention my going to hell, I simply respond, "I hope you don't go there" and leave them guessing.
                    What are they guessing at?

                    Comment

                    • falafel
                      loves to talk on things
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 37986

                      #175
                      Originally posted by YOhio View Post

                      What are they guessing at?
                      What the fuck he’s talking about.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                      Dig your own grave, and save!

                      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • Northwestcoug
                        Cocked and Loaded
                        • May 2011
                        • 18026

                        #176
                        Originally posted by falafel View Post

                        What the fuck he’s talking about.
                        Is this your first f-bomb on CS? Gotta be one of the first.

                        (Yeah I know, I'm weird.)
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

                        Comment

                        • Bo Diddley
                          Senior
                          • Jul 2012
                          • 18790

                          #177
                          Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

                          Is this your first f-bomb on CS? Gotta be one of the first.

                          (Yeah I know, I'm weird.)
                          I've heard dropping an f-bomb on CS is a sure sign they're on the road to apostacy.

                          Comment

                          • Northwestcoug
                            Cocked and Loaded
                            • May 2011
                            • 18026

                            #178
                            Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

                            I've heard dropping an f-bomb on CS is a sure sign they're on the road to apostacy.
                            Not 100%. I still haven't uttered it here
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

                            Comment

                            • BigPiney
                              Huge Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 12366

                              #179
                              Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

                              Not 100%. I still haven't uttered it here
                              good for you. I know i have a few times, mostly talking about the utes.

                              Comment

                              • Donuthole
                                Official Outgayer
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 25268

                                #180
                                Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

                                Not 100%. I still haven't uttered it here
                                It's not that all apostates utter the f bomb on CS, rather, all who utter the f-bomb on CS end up apostate. YO, falafel, and myself might be the final test subjects in that respect.
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                                There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                                Comment

                                Working...