Signs of the Second Coming

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jay santos
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 13652

    #151
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

    Didn't you say you recently read The Heart of Christianity by Marcus Borg? If so, I am surprised you would be asking these kinds of questions. To me, one of the most powerful messages of the book is that arguing the literalness/historicity of religious events (either for or against) is pointless and counterproductive. We could sit here and argue whether or not jesus literally turned water to wine (as an example from the book) but at the end of the day, YOU WILL NEVER KNOW one way or the other. It is and always will be a matter of faith. Why not focus on the beauty and symbolism of the story and what we can learn from it? I am sure some religious events are figurative and not literal, but so what? And why on earth would I feel the need to convince others that something isn't literally true? It takes some humility to recognize that I don't have all the answers. I have found that if I accept things on faith and focus on the fundamentals of the gospel, I find tremendous strength, joy and power in my faith.
    I don't understand the motivation for this comment, and I disagree with your take on Borg. Borg is quite clear on stating that he does not believe literally certain doctrines and reframes the context and meaning of why those doctrines are important to him from a non-literal perspective. GM was doing exactly that. There's a thing that many Progressive Mo's do, that is annoying to me and I don't know if you're doing this or not, but to me it seems that you might be. They express vaguish non-traditional beliefs but then act coy and evasive when pressed for detail. or say something like "historicity is not interesting at all to me". When it clearly is vitally important to meaning. I think it's because they are afraid of being shunned by traditional/literal believers. Or maybe because it's the cool thing to do among academics. Keep everything theoretical. But it's super annoying to me.
    Last edited by jay santos; 12-01-2021, 10:53 AM.

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69735

      #152
      Originally posted by jay santos View Post
      I don't understand the motivation for this comment, and I disagree with your take on Borg. Borg is quite clear on stating that he does not believe literally certain doctrines and reframes the context and meaning of why those doctrines are important to him from a non-literal perspective. GM was doing exactly that. There's a thing that many Progressive Mo's do, that is annoying to me and I don't know if you're doing this or not, but to me it seems that you might be. They express vaguish non-traditional beliefs but then act coy and evasive when pressed for detail. or say something like historicity is not interesting at all to me". When it clearly is vitally important to meaning. I think it's because they are afraid of being shunned by traditional/literal believers. Or maybe because it's the cool thing to do among academics. But it's super annoying to me.
      Oh boy. Does this sound like a guy who insists on explicitly defining specific events as literal or not?

      Moreover, emphasizing the historical factuality of the stories can distract from their meaning. When their factuality is emphasized, the miraculous elements are emphasized so that “believing” these stories means believing that all these spectacular events happened. This emphasis often produces a sterile debate between those who think they are factual and those who think they aren’t, an endless back-and-forth: “It happened this way,” “No, it didn’t,” “Yes, it did.” When this happens, the rich, more-than-literal meanings are most often lost.

      When this debate breaks out in my classroom, I say to my students, “Believe whatever you want about whether it happened this way; now let’s talk about what the story means.” The statement applies to the Genesis stories of creation, the gospel birth stories, and the stories of the Bible generally: a preoccupation with factuality can obscure the metaphorical meanings and the truth of the stories as metaphor.
      What I described above is exactly in line with the historical-metaphorical approach Borg describes. Yes, he says that he doesn't believe everything in the bible is literal (nor do I!). He also states that much of it is historical. But nowhere in the book does he make a list of what he thinks is and isn't literal as that would run counter to the point he is making.

      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • Bo Diddley
        Senior
        • Jul 2012
        • 18806

        #153
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

        Oh boy. Does this sound like a guy who insists on explicitly defining specific events as literal or not?



        What I described above is exactly in line with the historical-metaphorical approach Borg describes. Yes, he says that he doesn't believe everything in the bible is literal (nor do I!). He also states that much of it is historical. But nowhere in the book does he make a list of what he thinks is and isn't literal as that would run counter to the point he is making.
        It's a great way to appreciate the scriptures. When I was a GD teacher, I pretty much took this approach. I figured out on my mission that there was just so much that is impossible to know what is literal and what is not, so I just set that aside, recognizing there were Gospel truths that really mattered most. I really like approaching things this way.

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69735

          #154
          For the record, I believe in the literal second coming of jesus.

          I am less sure about the second coming of DDD.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • jay santos
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 13652

            #155
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

            Oh boy. Does this sound like a guy who insists on explicitly defining specific events as literal or not?



            What I described above is exactly in line with the historical-metaphorical approach Borg describes. Yes, he says that he doesn't believe everything in the bible is literal (nor do I!). He also states that much of it is historical. But nowhere in the book does he make a list of what he thinks is and isn't literal as that would run counter to the point he is making.
            Borg was part of the Jesus Seminar that did exactly this, quite meticulously. I think you're using Borg's quote wrong. He's chastising literal believers who demand people take it literally and can't derive meaning from non-literal perspective which is sometimes more powerful. He's not chastising the process of identifying what one believes literally and what one doesn't and why a non-literal meaning still holds important meaning. I think that process is exactly what Borg is about. I think it's ridiculous to say that process isn't important.

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69735

              #156
              Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              Borg was part of the Jesus Seminar that did exactly this, quite meticulously. I think you're using Borg's quote wrong. He's chastising literal believers who demand people take it literally and can't derive meaning from non-literal perspective which is sometimes more powerful. He's not chastising the process of identifying what one believes literally and what one doesn't and why a non-literal meaning still holds important meaning. I think that process is exactly what Borg is about. I think it's ridiculous to say that process isn't important.
              It's like you are completely ignoring the quote I provided.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • Northwestcoug
                Cocked and Loaded
                • May 2011
                • 18033

                #157
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                For the record, I believe in the literal second coming of jesus.

                I am less sure about the second coming of DDD.
                Ah, but do you believe in a 1000-year theocracy with him at the helm and no parole for Satan until the end??? That's gotta be figurative!
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

                Comment

                • Green Monstah
                  Royal Rooter
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 13970

                  #158
                  I can't fathom believing in a literal second coming, but it's clearly an important tenet to many, and for the record, I'm super okay with people believing what they will.


                  Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                  "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                  Comment

                  • smokymountainrain
                    Impressive Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 22593

                    #159
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    I am less sure about the second coming of DDD.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69735

                      #160
                      Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

                      Ah, but do you believe in a 1000-year theocracy with him at the helm and no parole for Satan until the end??? That's gotta be figurative!
                      Details, details. Don't sweat the details.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • Northwestcoug
                        Cocked and Loaded
                        • May 2011
                        • 18033

                        #161
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

                        Details, details. Don't sweat the details.
                        Not sure if you interpreted my post differently, but it was TIC. Matters of faith are exactly that. If you believe in a literal resurrection that leads to an immortal body and existence, which I think most here do, then pretty much every other miraculous thing in scripture is blase.

                        Well except a literal earth-covering flood. And maybe talking asses. But not much else!
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

                        Comment

                        • Pelado
                          Bald not naked
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 21148

                          #162
                          Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

                          Not sure if you interpreted my post differently, but it was TIC. Matters of faith are exactly that. If you believe in a literal resurrection that leads to an immortal body and existence, which I think most here do, then pretty much every other miraculous thing in scripture is blase.

                          Well except a literal earth-covering flood. And maybe talking asses. But not much else!
                          The bolded is not that uncommon, even around CS.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

                          Comment

                          • Bo Diddley
                            Senior
                            • Jul 2012
                            • 18806

                            #163
                            Originally posted by Pelado View Post

                            The bolded is not that uncommon, even around CS.

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69735

                              #164
                              Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                              And maybe talking asses. But not much else!
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              • Clark Addison
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 10314

                                #165
                                Is it upon us?

                                AB_MO.PNG

                                Comment

                                Working...