Signs of the Second Coming

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • FMCoug
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 6825

    #46
    I already paid for the condo rental in Oceanside for Memorial Day weekend. I am going to be mad if I don't get to use it.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

    Comment

    • wuapinmon
      Soul Plumber
      • Dec 2008
      • 30711

      #47
      I went to the new SS Youth Curriculum "training" tonight which consisted of a lot of videos of Idahoans' weird accents and people "testifying" that they knew that this new program is inspired (just as, I assume, they testified of the wretched prior program).

      I'm a fan of the new program because it actually makes people think and itresponds to the class members' needs and questions. But, at the end, the stake president (he lives in our ward and has kids) gets up and 'testifies' that we're in the Last Days with all of the usual fearful accouterments.

      I do not believe that we are in the Last Days. Life is for living, and the world is getting better all the time.
      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

      Comment

      • Moliere
        One man.....one pie
        • Oct 2009
        • 27886

        #48
        Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        I went to the new SS Youth Curriculum "training" tonight which consisted of a lot of videos of Idahoans' weird accents and people "testifying" that they knew that this new program is inspired (just as, I assume, they testified of the wretched prior program).

        I'm a fan of the new program because it actually makes people think and itresponds to the class members' needs and questions. But, at the end, the stake president (he lives in our ward and has kids) gets up and 'testifies' that we're in the Last Days with all of the usual fearful accouterments.

        I do not believe that we are in the Last Days. Life is for living, and the world is getting better all the time.
        Today's SS lesson had many verses about the last days. The teacher tried to take it into a "the world is going pot" moment but the audience wasn't having any of it today. We only got a little bit of ragging on atheism.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

        Comment

        • Sullyute
          a day late/a dollar short
          • Jul 2010
          • 3308

          #49
          So fifty percent of Christian predict that Jesus will return in this generation (40 years).

          However, this is the quote that caught my eye...

          Still, predicting when and where Jesus will return is a popular business. Christians, popes, Mormonism’s founder, modern-day biblical teachers like Harold Camping, and countless others have all tried and failed.
          I don't remember Joseph doing this. In fact, I seem to recall Joseph saying that Jesus will NOT return for at least a certain amount of time or date (can't remember the quote exactly). Is that the same thing as making a prediction of his return?
          "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

          Comment

          • Moliere
            One man.....one pie
            • Oct 2009
            • 27886

            #50
            Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
            So fifty percent of Christian predict that Jesus will return in this generation (40 years).

            However, this is the quote that caught my eye...



            I don't remember Joseph doing this. In fact, I seem to recall Joseph saying that Jesus will NOT return for at least a certain amount of time or date (can't remember the quote exactly). Is that the same thing as making a prediction of his return?
            D&C 130:15
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

            Comment

            • Indy Coug
              Heartless Bastard
              • Dec 2008
              • 18747

              #51
              Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              D&C 130:15
              More interesting are verses 16 and 17 which shows that Joseph Smith didn't know what to make of the revelation and was left to speculate on his own. I think that all of us, including prophets, are put in that situation the overwhelming majority of the time and sometimes our extrapolative conjecturings can be way off the mark.
              Last edited by Indy Coug; 03-31-2013, 03:18 PM.
              Everything in life is an approximation.

              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

              Comment

              • wuapinmon
                Soul Plumber
                • Dec 2008
                • 30711

                #52
                Jesus will return to Antarctica and slowly marshal his penguin army (those who see everything as black and white) northward, slouching towards Bethlehem, while his brightness makes the sun rise from the south, the rivers run backwards, and the stars fall from the sky, of you and I.
                "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                Comment

                • jay santos
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 13652

                  #53
                  I don't know that Joseph or Brigham ever said it publicly, but the early saints believed it would be their generation that ushered in Second Coming, didn't they?

                  edit: yes I think D&C 130:15 was the basis for this

                  Comment

                  • Moliere
                    One man.....one pie
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 27886

                    #54
                    Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                    I don't know that Joseph or Brigham ever said it publicly, but the early saints believed it would be their generation that ushered in Second Coming, didn't they?

                    edit: yes I think D&C 130:15 was the basis for this
                    I don't think it was a consensus among the saints, but many of them truly believed it would happend by then. Every generation seems to believe it will happen in the lifetime of the generation coming after them.....interesting that it's never in their generation. My bishop has mentioned that the priests in our ward will likely be transfigured (or whatever it is that happens in the twinkling of an eye). I heard that as well as I was growing up. I guess people don't want to predict it will be during their own life so they don't live to see whether or not they were correct. Maybe it's better to die in ignorance...
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                    Comment

                    • USUC
                      Chronic Poseur
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 8795

                      #55
                      Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      I don't think it was a consensus among the saints, but many of them truly believed it would happend by then. Every generation seems to believe it will happen in the lifetime of the generation coming after them.....interesting that it's never in their generation. My bishop has mentioned that the priests in our ward will likely be transfigured (or whatever it is that happens in the twinkling of an eye). I heard that as well as I was growing up. I guess people don't want to predict it will be during their own life so they don't live to see whether or not they were correct. Maybe it's better to die in ignorance...
                      I had 3 or 4 different seminary teachers say that we would see the second coming. This was in the early to mid 90s. I wonder if it is still being tossed around in seminary today. I was a teenager then and even I knew it was hyperbole.

                      Comment

                      • myboynoah
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 21719

                        #56
                        Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        I don't think it was a consensus among the saints, but many of them truly believed it would happend by then. Every generation seems to believe it will happen in the lifetime of the generation coming after them.....interesting that it's never in their generation. My bishop has mentioned that the priests in our ward will likely be transfigured (or whatever it is that happens in the twinkling of an eye). I heard that as well as I was growing up. I guess people don't want to predict it will be during their own life so they don't live to see whether or not they were correct. Maybe it's better to die in ignorance...
                        We all tend to believe ours is the chosen generation to usher in return. I know mine is.
                        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                        For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                        Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                        Comment

                        • YOhio
                          Hipster Mode
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 26165

                          #57
                          Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                          We all tend to believe ours is the chosen generation to usher in return. I know mine is.
                          Not me. When I was a kid I would get freaked out whenever the clouds would get really dark before a big thunderstorm. I wanted nothing to do with the end of the world.

                          Comment

                          • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                            Time to camp
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 26082

                            #58
                            A crazy person I know says there will be no rainbows in the year of the second coming, so sorry folks it isn't this year.
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

                            Comment

                            • Pheidippides
                              Liberal Feminazi
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 14759

                              #59
                              Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              I don't think it was a consensus among the saints, but many of them truly believed it would happend by then. Every generation seems to believe it will happen in the lifetime of the generation coming after them.....interesting that it's never in their generation. My bishop has mentioned that the priests in our ward will likely be transfigured (or whatever it is that happens in the twinkling of an eye). I heard that as well as I was growing up. I guess people don't want to predict it will be during their own life so they don't live to see whether or not they were correct. Maybe it's better to die in ignorance...
                              I think - I'm not sure, but I think - there is another prediction by JS that is not in the D&C. I may be misremembering, though, so I may be off base. Something about a few years "winding up the scene" but, again, I can't remember if it was JS that said that one. The early saints were definitely millenialists, though.

                              There are definitely many predictions by other apostles that have come and gone. If member serves, one of the twelve at the time of the first manifesto went along with it because he thought the second coming was going to be in 1891 anyway.
                              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                              Comment

                              • Rickomatic
                                Junior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 617

                                #60
                                I believe that we all will see the second coming.

                                I just think it won't be in my lifetime.

                                Comment

                                Working...