Signs of the Second Coming

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RC Vikings
    Known Heterosexual
    • Nov 2008
    • 8789

    #91
    It won't happen until at least they get the SLC temple done. After that, all bets are off.

    Comment

    • clackamascoug
      Banned
      • Dec 2009
      • 9709

      #92
      Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
      It won't happen until at least they get the SLC temple done. After that, all bets are off.
      Have you checked out the roof of the conference center on Google Earth - looks like a reception que - and a staging platform - and an exit path.

      Interesting

      Comment

      • LVAllen
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2013
        • 3272

        #93
        Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post

        Have you checked out the roof of the conference center on Google Earth - looks like a reception que - and a staging platform - and an exit path.

        Interesting
        Stairway to the Starship Enterprise.

        Comment

        • chrisrenrut
          Strikes and Gutters
          • Jul 2009
          • 2298

          #94
          Todays SS lessons (or GD lesson, both acronym’s are awesome) was on the second coming. The teacher told the class the 2nd coming would occur during our grandchildren's lifetime. He’s a former temple president, so I think a lot of folks give his words extra weight.

          My wife eats this stuff up. I told her that people have been saying that same thing for hundreds of years. I bet patriarchal blessings since the 1800’s have been promising they would see the Savior’s return. “But the world so much more wicked, and natural disasters are occurring more now than they have ever been.” Arguing that there has ever been a time with more peace and less poverty across the world, and geologically speaking we are in a very calm time climate and catastrophe-wise, doesn’t move the needle. I don’t like doctrine that uses fear to motivate righteousness.

          I explained that I basically checked out of the lesson and played on my phone because I’m much more likely to die unexpectedly than see the actual second coming. That is a far better reason to “keep oil in my lamp”.

          Comment

          • clackamascoug
            Banned
            • Dec 2009
            • 9709

            #95
            Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
            Todays SS lessons (or GD lesson, both acronym’s are awesome) was on the second coming. The teacher told the class the 2nd coming would occur during our grandchildren's lifetime. He’s a former temple president, so I think a lot of folks give his words extra weight.

            My wife eats this stuff up. I told her that people have been saying that same thing for hundreds of years. I bet patriarchal blessings since the 1800’s have been promising they would see the Savior’s return. “But the world so much more wicked, and natural disasters are occurring more now than they have ever been.” Arguing that there has ever been a time with more peace and less poverty across the world, and geologically speaking we are in a very calm time climate and catastrophe-wise, doesn’t move the needle. I don’t like doctrine that uses fear to motivate righteousness.

            I explained that I basically checked out of the lesson and played on my phone because I’m much more likely to die unexpectedly than see the actual second coming. That is a far better reason to “keep oil in my lamp”.
            Come on - half the fun of having your own planet is looking for the available lots - in the best neighborhoods.

            We should make a pact that all of us future CS Celestial Beings - should be in the same quadrant and get together once in a while like missionary reunions.

            Comment

            • Non Sequitur
              Where did I put my bodkin
              • Nov 2008
              • 5773

              #96
              Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
              Todays SS lessons (or GD lesson, both acronym’s are awesome) was on the second coming. The teacher told the class the 2nd coming would occur during our grandchildren's lifetime. He’s a former temple president, so I think a lot of folks give his words extra weight.

              My wife eats this stuff up. I told her that people have been saying that same thing for hundreds of years. I bet patriarchal blessings since the 1800’s have been promising they would see the Savior’s return. “But the world so much more wicked, and natural disasters are occurring more now than they have ever been.” Arguing that there has ever been a time with more peace and less poverty across the world, and geologically speaking we are in a very calm time climate and catastrophe-wise, doesn’t move the needle. I don’t like doctrine that uses fear to motivate righteousness.

              I explained that I basically checked out of the lesson and played on my phone because I’m much more likely to die unexpectedly than see the actual second coming. That is a far better reason to “keep oil in my lamp”.
              When Covid hit, my MIL couldn't shut up about how it was a sign of the Second Coming. Of course when it became political, she couldn't shut up about how Covid was a hoax. If the Second Coming doesn't happen soon, we'll know that God is indeed a Republican
              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69696

                #97
                Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                Todays SS lessons (or GD lesson, both acronym’s are awesome) was on the second coming. The teacher told the class the 2nd coming would occur during our grandchildren's lifetime. He’s a former temple president, so I think a lot of folks give his words extra weight.

                My wife eats this stuff up. I told her that people have been saying that same thing for hundreds of years. I bet patriarchal blessings since the 1800’s have been promising they would see the Savior’s return. “But the world so much more wicked, and natural disasters are occurring more now than they have ever been.” Arguing that there has ever been a time with more peace and less poverty across the world, and geologically speaking we are in a very calm time climate and catastrophe-wise, doesn’t move the needle. I don’t like doctrine that uses fear to motivate righteousness.

                I explained that I basically checked out of the lesson and played on my phone because I’m much more likely to die unexpectedly than see the actual second coming. That is a far better reason to “keep oil in my lamp”.
                I will never understand how someone thinks they have the date figured out. Always makes my eyes roll too.

                I am with you on your last point. I am far more likely to get hit by a truck.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • swampfrog
                  Social Distance Warrior
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 2267

                  #98
                  Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                  Todays SS lessons (or GD lesson, both acronym’s are awesome) was on the second coming. The teacher told the class the 2nd coming would occur during our grandchildren's lifetime. He’s a former temple president, so I think a lot of folks give his words extra weight.

                  My wife eats this stuff up. I told her that people have been saying that same thing for hundreds of years. I bet patriarchal blessings since the 1800’s have been promising they would see the Savior’s return. “But the world so much more wicked, and natural disasters are occurring more now than they have ever been.” Arguing that there has ever been a time with more peace and less poverty across the world, and geologically speaking we are in a very calm time climate and catastrophe-wise, doesn’t move the needle. I don’t like doctrine that uses fear to motivate righteousness.

                  I explained that I basically checked out of the lesson and played on my phone because I’m much more likely to die unexpectedly than see the actual second coming. That is a far better reason to “keep oil in my lamp”.
                  If I hear "...hastening the work..." in a general conference address, my eyes roll into the back of my head until the next speaker begins.

                  Comment

                  • smokymountainrain
                    Impressive Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 22593

                    #99
                    bigpiney admitted a dog is cute. get your affairs in order.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

                    Comment

                    • BigPiney
                      Huge Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 12366

                      #100
                      Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                      bigpiney admitted a dog is cute. get your affairs in order.
                      it was a moment of weakness. My sister, an idiot, paid money for this dog (why anyone would pay for a dog I can't even fathom). It may be cute, I can recognize that, but we would all be better off if it was put in a burlap sack and dropped in a canal.

                      Comment

                      • Northwestcoug
                        Cocked and Loaded
                        • May 2011
                        • 18023

                        #101
                        Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

                        it was a moment of weakness. My sister, an idiot, paid money for this dog (why anyone would pay for a dog I can't even fathom). It may be cute, I can recognize that, but we would all be better off if it was put in a burlap sack and dropped in a canal.
                        As CS caricatures go, BP's dog-hating one ranks right up there with the best of them.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

                        Comment

                        • clackamascoug
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 9709

                          #102
                          Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

                          As CS caricatures go, BP's dog-hating one ranks right up there with the best of them.
                          Right up there is you - with a green bag of dog poop in your jacket pocket.

                          Comment

                          • Northwestcoug
                            Cocked and Loaded
                            • May 2011
                            • 18023

                            #103
                            Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post

                            Right up there is you - with a green bag of dog poop in your jacket pocket.
                            That one hits close to home. Apollo never fails to wait until our walk to poo.

                            I'm glad your first thought wasn’t CS resident pron addict!
                            Last edited by Northwestcoug; 11-24-2021, 07:02 PM.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

                            Comment

                            • Green Monstah
                              Royal Rooter
                              • Aug 2010
                              • 13955

                              #104
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

                              I will never understand how someone thinks they have the date figured out. Always makes my eyes roll too.

                              I am with you on your last point. I am far more likely to get hit by a truck.
                              I will never understand how someone thinks that its actually going to happen. I mean, does anyone here really think Jesus is going to fly down from a planet nigh unto Kolob and reign for a thousand years? I think we all know that it's gotta be some sort of metaphor, but no one has the eggs to say it.
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                              "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                              Comment

                              • Clark Addison
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 10306

                                #105
                                Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post

                                I will never understand how someone thinks that its actually going to happen. I mean, does anyone here really think Jesus is going to fly down from a planet nigh unto Kolob and reign for a thousand years? I think we all know that it's gotta be some sort of metaphor, but no one has the eggs to say it.
                                I will Venmo you $100 if you recite this word for word next time SS or Priesthood has a second coming lesson.

                                Comment

                                Working...