I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I just figured out how to disable the Tapatalk signatures for the entire site.
    You're still at church?
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
      One of the speakers today told us we should refer to each other as Brother/Sister/President/etc. instead of our first names. That's one I used to hear occasionally 30 years ago, but not so much lately.

If I refer to you as "Brother" or "Sister" last name, it generally means I have forgotten your first name.
      Any time I hear that it makes me feel we are been transported back about 100 years.

Comment

One of the speakers today told us we should refer to each other as Brother/Sister/President/etc. instead of our first names. That's one I used to hear occasionally 30 years ago, but not so much lately.

If I refer to you as "Brother" or "Sister" last name, it generally means I have forgotten your first name.
        when ever anyone says that to me, i tell them "just call me brian".
        i'm trying to teach my primary class to call me by first name as well
        I intend to live forever.
        So far, so good.
        --Steven Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
          Any time I hear that it makes me feel we are been transported back about 100 years.
          I like to respond with Brother/Sister + their first name as long as we are being old-timey.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
            I like to respond with Brother/Sister + their first name as long as we are being old-timey.
            My father related an experience similar to these. He stated, Tuyian Fong called and said, "Brother X, how are you and your beautiful bride....Sister X..."

Whenever that appellation was invoked, he knew he was in for a smoke blowing up his arse. It's part of the culture.
            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• it's only worse when someone calls their own spouse Sister/Brother X.
              i don't want to hang out with that cat.
              I intend to live forever.
              So far, so good.
              --Steven Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian View Post
                it's only worse when someone calls their own spouse Sister/Brother X.
                i don't want to hang out with that cat.
                An older title I've seen of a husband when speaking to others is, "Momma".

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

In my last ward, the Bishop requested that we all call the deacons and teachers quorum presidents as President so-and-so when we see them in the hallways, etc. After all, they hold the metaphorical keys (we don't trust them with the literal ones). I hope nobody followed through with that. I certainly didn't.

Comment

• When speaking to the youth about a leader I use brother/sister. Peer to peer I use first names.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
                    *Banned*

Comment

• What about the elderly? Specifically, I'm thinking of the patriarch, who is in our ward. I always call him Brother or Patriarch. I always call his wife Sister. I don't feel right calling them Rex and Loma.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        What about the elderly? Specifically, I'm thinking of the patriarch, who is in our ward. I always call him Brother or Patriarch. I always call his wife Sister. I don't feel right calling them Rex and Loma.
                        Agreed. Calling the Emergency Preparedness couple in the ward Brother and sister Hansen is much less awkard than using their first names - Cleal and Rosemary.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

What about the elderly? Specifically, I'm thinking of the patriarch, who is in our ward. I always call him Brother or Patriarch. I always call his wife Sister. I don't feel right calling them Rex and Loma.
                          I call the stake patriarch "Bill" because he used to be my home teaching companion. But, yeah, I'm not out to offend anyone. There are a few older folks in the stake who I address as brother and sister because I know that's what they want.

Which reminds me, a few months ago I went to a luncheon put on by the BYU management society. A woman in our stake who is a reporter for the local NPR affiliate was speaking. Since that's what my son wants to do, I thought I would go and start networking for him, just because I am that kind of dad. I also invited an inactive member to come along, since I am just that kind of member missionary.

As it turned out, the inactive member canceled on me that morning, for a totally legitimate and non-made up reason, so I was stuck with an extra ticket, without really enough time to post it on Stubhub. So I invited this girl who works for me, kind of like a lunch date with a girl who is not my wife. We got there and sat down, and the guy in charge said "Brother Addison, would you offer the prayer?" Which she thought was hilarious. I made sure to use the language of prayer, with lots lot "thou"s and "givest"s and such, to be sure she came away convinced that we were as weird as the Mennonites but without the cool beards.

Strangely, she hasn't been interested in any additional Mormon-related activities.

Comment

I call the stake patriarch "Bill" because he used to be my home teaching companion. But, yeah, I'm not out to offend anyone. There are a few older folks in the stake who I address as brother and sister because I know that's what they want.

Which reminds me, a few months ago I went to a luncheon put on by the BYU management society. A woman in our stake who is a reporter for the local NPR affiliate was speaking. Since that's what my son wants to do, I thought I would go and start networking for him, just because I am that kind of dad. I also invited an inactive member to come along, since I am just that kind of member missionary.

As it turned out, the inactive member canceled on me that morning, for a totally legitimate and non-made up reason, so I was stuck with an extra ticket, without really enough time to post it on Stubhub. So I invited this girl who works for me, kind of like a lunch date with a girl who is not my wife. We got there and sat down, and the guy in charge said "Brother Addison, would you offer the prayer?" Which she thought was hilarious. I made sure to use the language of prayer, with lots lot "thou"s and "givest"s and such, to be sure she came away convinced that we were as weird as the Mennonites but without the cool beards.

Strangely, she hasn't been interested in any additional Mormon-related activities.
                            I take it that you next date with her will be some place more appropriate.

Comment

I suppose it's on whatever basis you know people.

In church, I might refer to him by his church title, but outside, probably not.

Comment

• Imagine having someone call you brother or sister. You poor things.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X