Now THAT's a facelift:

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RobinFinderson
    Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 10548

    #31
    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    also, this sentence was really what I was getting at. Because, you know, mexicans like aztec stuff. and velvet paintings. and chiclets.
    Most of the Mexicans I know do love Aztec stuff, just like most of the Mormons I know do love Pioneer stuff. I wouldn't lump 'pioneer stuff' in with bad Ensign illustrations of Jesus with modern children and green jello with carrots. Sort of different in my book, just like 'aztec stuff' is different than velvet paintings and chiclets.

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69735

      #32
      You folks should get that letter-writing campaign ramped up ASAP.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • Fiyero
        Banned
        • Nov 2008
        • 5266

        #33
        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

        Comment

        • TripletDaddy
          sweet triple
          • Nov 2008
          • 58186

          #34
          Originally posted by creekster View Post
          I see your point, but do you know if any mexican church officials had input into the design? I don't know either way.
          I know it was commissioned and designed by a gringo. I don't know either but I would assume that there was local input in order to secure permitting, for example.

          I assume local Church officials had input on the Provo and Ogden temples, too.....that didn't prevent the end result from being a mistake.

          Again, I'm not offended, I just find it entertaining that of all our temples, it is basically the only one that looks like the entrance to a disneyland ride and it is the only one that really overtly plays to cultural stereotypes. I wonder if they cram a ton of people into the sessions?
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

          sigpic

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #35
            Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
            Looks like Manti.
            Really? I don't see the resemblance, but you apparently think all lamanites look the same.

            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • TripletDaddy
              sweet triple
              • Nov 2008
              • 58186

              #36
              Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
              Most of the Mexicans I know do love Aztec stuff, just like most of the Mormons I know do love Pioneer stuff. I wouldn't lump 'pioneer stuff' in with bad Ensign illustrations of Jesus with modern children and green jello with carrots. Sort of different in my book, just like 'aztec stuff' is different than velvet paintings and chiclets.
              They totally love Aztec stuff. The temple should play soft, reverent ranchero music in the chapel as Mexicans sneak into the temple session without permission. Halfway through the session, everyone can take a nap.

              Here is a pic of the Netherlands temple. Where is the windmill? Do patrons wear wooden shoes at the open house?

              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • Moliere
                One man.....one pie
                • Oct 2009
                • 27893

                #37
                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                The French temple doesn't seem to evoke much of France's history.
                where is this so called French temple?
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69735

                  #38
                  Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  Yikes.

                  OK, I am convinced. This is a slippery slope that could bankrupt the church.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #39
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Yikes.

                    OK, I am convinced. This is a slippery slope that could bankrupt the church.
                    really? I think that temple is kind of cool. It is like a "Lego meets pup tent" for EZ up and down. In the event of persecution, just deflate that thing and move on.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • TripletDaddy
                      sweet triple
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 58186

                      #40
                      Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                      where is this so called French temple?
                      I was thinking of denmark. my bad. that is the one that looks like the Texas Schoolbook Depository.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • RobinFinderson
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 10548

                        #41
                        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        Again, I'm not offended, I just find it entertaining that of all our temples, it is basically the only one that looks like the entrance to a disneyland ride and it is the only one that really overtly plays to cultural stereotypes. I wonder if they cram a ton of people into the sessions?
                        San Diego and DC are the two biggest pieces of disney-esque kitsch, as far as I am concerned.





                        Also, a note about the Mexican temple, it is definitely riffing off of the Frank Lloyd Wright inspired designs for the Cardston, Hawaii and Arizona temples. Frank Lloyd Wright was deeply moved by Aztec architecture, so the design thread connecting Mormons to the design of that temple to the design of other similar temples may be more meaningful than you care to acknowledge. Never mind the church's BOM connections to indigenous people from that region, or the fact that all of these building supposedly borrow design ideas from the temple of Solomon.

                        Comment

                        • wuapinmon
                          Soul Plumber
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 30711

                          #42
                          Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          I still wish I had been able to convice my wife to be sealed in the O-Town temple. I definitely tried.

                          Also, how long until Provo gets its own plastic surgery. Those Provites are always keeping up with the Jonses.
                          Right. Provo is way more materialistic than St. George.
                          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                          Comment

                          • TripletDaddy
                            sweet triple
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 58186

                            #43
                            Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                            San Diego and DC are the two biggest pieces of disney-esque kitsch, as far as I am concerned.

                            Also, a note about the Mexican temple, it is definitely riffing off of the Frank Lloyd Wright inspired designs for the Cardston, Hawaii and Arizona temples. Frank Lloyd Wright was deeply moved by Aztec architecture, so the design thread connecting Mormons to the design of that temple to the design of other similar temples may be more meaningful than you care to acknowledge. Never mind the church's BOM connections to indigenous people from that region, or the fact that all of these building supposedly borrow design ideas from the temple of Solomon.
                            Good call on San Diego. That one is definitely Tomorrowland material.

                            I just checked LDS.org and it says plainly that the design was inspired by Mayan culture. This isn't my point, although i do find the FLW connection to be interesting.

                            The real question is why is the Mexico temple design the only temple to play to local racial and cultural stereotypes? I think you answered that question already (esp in light of the time period in which the temple was designed and built)....because, you know, Mexicans love Mexicany stuff.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • wuapinmon
                              Soul Plumber
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 30711

                              #44
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              When is someone going to redesign this racially biased design



                              I always get a kick out of this temple. For whatever reason, the Mexico temple was made to look like an Aztec temple. Because, you know, Mexicans wants their buildings to look like aztec temples.

                              I wonder why the Swiss temple didn't look like a ski lodge?
                              The diamond design on that temple looks more Mayan to me than Aztec. Check out the ball court at Uxmal.

                              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                              Comment

                              • TripletDaddy
                                sweet triple
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 58186

                                #45
                                you are correct, it is mayan. at least per lds.org
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...