No announcement yet.

The Prime Rib (and other beef) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sous vide for 8 hrs at 134 degrees. Then slathered with a butter-salt-pepper-garlic-rosemary-thyme paste and seared at 475 for 15 minutes. Fantastic.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Looks delicious, JL. Great crust on that.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Can you guys share the recipe for the crust? I've never had good luck with crusts on beef roasts. They slip off too easy it seems like. Any trick to getting the crust to stick better?

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          Can you guys share the recipe for the crust? I've never had good luck with crusts on beef roasts. They slip off too easy it seems like. Any trick to getting the crust to stick better?
          molasses or brown sugar in your rub will help. It will caramelize and stick to the meat better. Nothing keeps a rub on exterior fat, though.
          sigpic
          "Outlined against a blue, gray
          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
            molasses or brown sugar in your rub will help. It will caramelize and stick to the meat better. Nothing keeps a rub on exterior fat, though.
            Sugar on beef? Yikes. No thanks.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Can you guys share the recipe for the crust? I've never had good luck with crusts on beef roasts. They slip off too easy it seems like. Any trick to getting the crust to stick better?
              I just slathered it on this time and had pretty good luck. Sometimes I use olive oil rather than butter and I seem to have good luck with the salt/pepper/garlic/etc staying in place. One trick I see mentioned a lot is to dry the roast with paper towels and then brush on egg whites and then apply the spices. That seems like it would work the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Sugar on beef? Yikes. No thanks.
                It's better than it sounds. You don't want to overdo it, and you want to offset it with salt, but the caramelization with the sear keeps it from being too sweet.
                sigpic
                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• I like dipping my roast beef in the sugar sauce from the carrots the missus cooks.

Comment

i did almost the same thing lebowski did for the sear, but i used ghee and it worked swimmingly.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• The Prime Rib (and other beef) Thread

Did sous vide Prime Rib last year and it was ok. I was going to do something different this year, but my daughter who was sick on Christmas last year and didn’t get to eat the prib begged me to do it again this year. I’m glad she did. Last year i pre-slathered and the butter basted the roast while it cooked. It was ok, but didn’t give me a great crust when I finished in the oven.

This year I took it out of the water bath and cooled it in the fridge for about 15 mins. Then I slathered and finished in the oven for 15 mins. Sure, much of the herb butter melted off, but the part that stayed on crisped up the roast nicely. It was delicious. Looking forward to the leftovers.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Wow, that looks good! Nice job. And the cutting board is nice too!
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          Ha, I noticed that as well.

Nice job DH. I’ve never done prib but I think I need to try it
                          Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          Wow, that looks good! Nice job. And the cutting board is nice too!
                          Not surprised that EJ focuses on the wood two years in a row

Comment

• Both Donut and JL made a much better prime rib roast than I did this year- mine was overdone. Luckily, my philistine family couldn't tell and raved.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                              Both Donut and JL made a much better prime rib roast than I did this year- mine was overdone. Luckily, my philistine family couldn't tell and raved.
                              Mrs. D is the lone holdout on rare/med. rare meat in our house. She felt this was underdone. Everyone else was in heaven.

Comment

• I screwed up each of the last two years so I was super nervous this year. Turned out great. Phew.

Comment

Working...
                                X