X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Lebowski
    replied
    Wow. That is such a great idea.

We are doing french dip sandwiches with our leftovers.

Leave a comment:

• Donuthole
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I screwed up each of the last two years so I was super nervous this year. Turned out great. Phew.

That looks delicious. Nicely done.

Day-after-Christmas Prime Rib Ramen is officially a tradition for the Donutholes. We did it last year, and the kids asked for it again this year. I used the leftover jus from yesterday as the base for the broth. It was excellent.

Waiting for broth:

Ready to eat:

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Lebowski
    replied
    I screwed up each of the last two years so I was super nervous this year. Turned out great. Phew.

Leave a comment:

• Donuthole
    replied
    Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Both Donut and JL made a much better prime rib roast than I did this year- mine was overdone. Luckily, my philistine family couldn't tell and raved.
    Mrs. D is the lone holdout on rare/med. rare meat in our house. She felt this was underdone. Everyone else was in heaven.

Leave a comment:

• Katy Lied
    replied
    Both Donut and JL made a much better prime rib roast than I did this year- mine was overdone. Luckily, my philistine family couldn't tell and raved.

Leave a comment:

• Clark Addison
    replied
    Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    Ha, I noticed that as well.

Nice job DH. I’ve never done prib but I think I need to try it
    Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    Wow, that looks good! Nice job. And the cutting board is nice too!
    Not surprised that EJ focuses on the wood two years in a row

Leave a comment:

• Moliere
    replied
    Wow, that looks good! Nice job. And the cutting board is nice too!

Leave a comment:

• Donuthole
    replied
    The Prime Rib (and other beef) Thread

Did sous vide Prime Rib last year and it was ok. I was going to do something different this year, but my daughter who was sick on Christmas last year and didn’t get to eat the prib begged me to do it again this year. I’m glad she did. Last year i pre-slathered and the butter basted the roast while it cooked. It was ok, but didn’t give me a great crust when I finished in the oven.

This year I took it out of the water bath and cooled it in the fridge for about 15 mins. Then I slathered and finished in the oven for 15 mins. Sure, much of the herb butter melted off, but the part that stayed on crisped up the roast nicely. It was delicious. Looking forward to the leftovers.

Leave a comment:

• smokymountainrain
    replied
    Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    Can you guys share the recipe for the crust? I've never had good luck with crusts on beef roasts. They slip off too easy it seems like. Any trick to getting the crust to stick better?
    i did almost the same thing lebowski did for the sear, but i used ghee and it worked swimmingly.

Leave a comment:

• Bo Diddley
    replied
    I like dipping my roast beef in the sugar sauce from the carrots the missus cooks.

Leave a comment:

• cowboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Sugar on beef? Yikes. No thanks.
    It's better than it sounds. You don't want to overdo it, and you want to offset it with salt, but the caramelization with the sear keeps it from being too sweet.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Lebowski
    replied
    Can you guys share the recipe for the crust? I've never had good luck with crusts on beef roasts. They slip off too easy it seems like. Any trick to getting the crust to stick better?
    I just slathered it on this time and had pretty good luck. Sometimes I use olive oil rather than butter and I seem to have good luck with the salt/pepper/garlic/etc staying in place. One trick I see mentioned a lot is to dry the roast with paper towels and then brush on egg whites and then apply the spices. That seems like it would work the best.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Lebowski
    replied
    Originally posted by cowboy View Post
    molasses or brown sugar in your rub will help. It will caramelize and stick to the meat better. Nothing keeps a rub on exterior fat, though.
    Sugar on beef? Yikes. No thanks.

Leave a comment:

• cowboy
    replied
    molasses or brown sugar in your rub will help. It will caramelize and stick to the meat better. Nothing keeps a rub on exterior fat, though.

Leave a comment:

• jay santos
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X