The Prime Rib (and other beef) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
    I am thinking of doing the same thing. Any updates beyond this?
    Yeah I’m curious as well. 48 hours seems like a long time relative to what internet searches turn up on the cooking time.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Still doing some research. Picked up a beautiful boneless rib roast last night from Costco. I am going to sous vide for 48 hours then apply seasoning at sear at 450. Still figuring out the details beyond that. DDD has been doing this for a 2-3 years with good success. I overcooked my p-rib last year so I am anxious to try the sous vide route.
      I'm glad CA bumped this as I hadn't seen it. We've always roasted ours and with guests coming, we're a little nervous about trying something new. We'll deicide today, but may chicken out. I'll await news of your success.

Comment

• in regard to lebowski's sous vide prime rib, i don't really see how you can go wrong. i'll be doing the same, but probably about a 24-36 hour cook. it will be my first sous vide prime rib, but i'm not nervous in the least.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          in regard to lebowski's sous vide prime rib, i don't really see how you can go wrong. i'll be doing the same, but probably about a 24-36 hour cook. it will be my first sous vide prime rib, but i'm not nervous in the least.
          Understood. My uncertainty relates to the rub and sear. I've loved the sous vide; it's the go-to for steaks/filets. I'll look forward to your report as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            Understood. My uncertainty relates to the rub and sear. I've loved the sous vide; it's the go-to for steaks/filets. I'll look forward to your report as well.
            that's a good point and those are my main concerns as well. i need to do a little more homework in that respect before go time.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              I'm glad CA bumped this as I hadn't seen it. We've always roasted ours and with guests coming, we're a little nervous about trying something new. We'll deicide today, but may chicken out. I'll await news of your success.
              I moved all of the related posts from the brisket thread to here.

I purchased a big beautifully marbled prime rib from costco about a week ago. I rinsed it and dried it and vacuum-sealed it and put it in my fridge to age. Was planning to cook for christmas dinner. However, my son and his family invited us to his house on Christmas eve and the entire gang is coming back to our house on Christmas. Found out yesterday that my son is cooking a big brisket for Christmas eve. My wife and I decided that two days in a row with a massive beef dinner would be a bit much (sorry cowboy!) so I put my prime rib in the freezer to enjoy at some future date. Now we are going to do a charcuterie spread with cheeses, smoked salmon, porchetta, prosciutto, nuts, fruits, jams, crackers, etc. Looking forward to it.

I have been doing some research. Most sous vide prime rib recipes say to sous vide for 8 hrs, not 48. So when I do it, I would probably apply some salt right before doing an 8-hr sous vide and then remove and apply a salt-garlic-cracked pepper-olive oil rub and sear at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes. That was my plan anyway.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I moved all of the related posts from the brisket thread to here.

I purchased a big beautifully marbled prime rib from costco about a week ago. I rinsed it and dried it and vacuum-sealed it and put it in my fridge to age. Was planning to cook for christmas dinner. However, my son and his family invited us to his house on Christmas eve and the entire gang is coming back to our house on Christmas. Found out yesterday that my son is cooking a big brisket for Christmas eve. My wife and I decided that two days in a row with a massive beef dinner would be a bit much (sorry cowboy!) so I put my prime rib in the freezer to enjoy at some future date. Now we are going to do a charcuterie spread with cheeses, smoked salmon, porchetta, prosciutto, nuts, fruits, jams, crackers, etc. Looking forward to it.

I have been doing some research. Most sous vide prime rib recipes say to sous vide for 8 hrs, not 48. So when I do it, I would probably apply some salt right before doing an 8-hr sous vide and then remove and apply a salt-garlic-cracked pepper-olive oil rub and sear at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes. That was my plan anyway.
                Interesting and very helpful, thanks. Pre-CS I had never heard of "Traeger" or "sous vide." Now I'm happy to use both frequently, and Mrs. PAC couldn't be more pleased. Or surprised.

Merry Christmas, CS!

Comment

Ok. This comports more with what I was finding. Your 48 hour comment had me nervous that I was planning on doing something super wrong.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    Ok. This comports more with what I was finding. Your 48 hour comment had me nervous that I was planning on doing something super wrong.
                    Agreed. I was worried about the length as well. I will put it in Christmas morning.

Comment

• Please post pics of your results, guys.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Christmas dinner is going to be brutally spare. Rib roast and baked potatoes and veggies. It's my anti-Thanksgiving dinner, plus everyone is going to be loaded up with sweets, so why waste time in the kitchen?

Comment

• This is probably old had for most of you, but this how I did the Prime Rib for the big family party on the 23rd. I'm not quite adventurous enough to try a Traegar or Sous Vide

I got an 8 lb bone on standing rib roast. On the 22nd I cut the ribs off the roast, rubbed all sides of the roast with salt, tied the bones back on and wrapped the roast in saran wrap and put in the fridge
                          On the 23rd, took it out of the fridge about 3 hrs before putting it in the oven, rubbed it with garlic powder and pepper.

Set the oven to the convection setting and preheated the oven to 450 degrees. After putting the roast in the oven, and letting the oven return to 450, turned the oven down to 275. When the roast's internal temp hit 140, took it out of the oven, put it on a platter, tented it with foil and took it Dad's to carve and present. Every one seemed to like it - the only leftovers were the bones, which are Christmas presents for the dogs
                          I also made a horse radish sauce and Au Jus.

As I side note - I now know for sure that Dad is getting old. He let me help carve the ham AND the roast AND the turkey
                          Last edited by happyone; 12-25-2019, 01:50 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• The new thing I tried this year was dry aging. Gave it about a week in the fridge. It might’ve made a difference but I’m not sure I noticed.

After searing.

After smoking.

Carving.

All that and my girls didn’t eat it.

Sigh.
                            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post

Sigh.
                              Sorry to hear that. I'd be happy to help you eat it. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                                The new thing I tried this year was dry aging. Gave it about a week in the fridge. It might’ve made a difference but I’m not sure I noticed.

After searing.

After smoking.

Carving.

Sigh.
                                Did you like it?
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X