Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Prime Rib (and other beef) Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looks great, AA!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Pelado View Post
      Did you like it?
      I dunno. Objectively I can say it put a nice piece of meat on the table. But my wife and I were both dealing with a stomach bug from yesterday’s lunch, so it felt like a lot of effort that nobody really appreciated. And I’m still pissed about 3rd and 2.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

      Comment


      • Originally posted by All-American View Post
        I dunno. Objectively I can say it put a nice piece of meat on the table. But my wife and I were both dealing with a stomach bug from yesterday’s lunch, so it felt like a lot of effort that nobody really appreciated. And I’m still pissed about 3rd and 2.
        I can relate. I'm 7 days into my second round of antibiotics this month for a never ending sinus infection. My stomach is destroyed. Couldn't chance the ribeye today and it makes me sad.
        Last edited by USUC; 12-25-2019, 11:14 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by All-American View Post
          I dunno. Objectively I can say it put a nice piece of meat on the table. But my wife and I were both dealing with a stomach bug from yesterday’s lunch, so it felt like a lot of effort that nobody really appreciated. And I’m still pissed about 3rd and 2.
          That sucks. Sorry dude, especially about 3rd and 2.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

          Comment


          • Originally posted by USUC View Post
            I can relate. I'm 7 days into my second round of antibiotics this month for a never ending sinus infection. My stomach is destroyed. Couldn't chance the ribeye today and it makes me sad.
            Dang dude, sympathies from me. Sinus infections suck, but I can most relate to the stomach issues from antibiotics.

            I had a MRSA infection and was on antibiotics for 21 days. But on top of that, I was also going through wound treatment for the drainage incisions, and had to eat 100 grams of protein a day. My gut didn’t feel right the whole time. I was never hungry, but had to keep shoveling the protein in. It was a very awful and, um . . . irregular experience.

            Comment


            • The Prime Rib (and other beef) Thread

              I did my prib (RIP, Triple Dad) roast on Christmas day. Aged it for about a week in the fridge, then trussed, seasoned, and seared on Christmas Eve. Rubbed with an herb and garlic butter, vacuum sealed, and put back in the fridge until morning. Dropped in the sous vide at 6am at 133 degrees. Pulled it at 4 pm and placed it on a cast iron skillet. Seared under the broiler for about 9 minutes until a nice crust had formed on the top and sides. Pulled and carved after about 10 mins of resting. I definitely needed a better knife to slice it with (i meant to grab one similar to the one AA showed in his pics, but just kept forgetting) so I was left to use large, sharp, but not serrated chef's knife. The knife wasn't quite long enough to reach across the entire roast, so the slices started falling apart as I was cutting them. It made for a not as pretty presentation. In retrospect, maybe I should have pulled out my electric knife. I digress.

              The meat was very good. Even delicious, if you ask my guests. A nice crust, and the garlic butter had clearly basted the roast as it cooked. I made a jus from the drippings, which was very flavorful. The prib was a perfect medium rare (though i'm pretty sure my sister thought it was undercooked), and cut easily, even with the plastic ware we were using. Everybody commented on how delicious and tender it was. My normally-picky 5 year old asked for seconds. But for some reason I just didn't love it. You know how sometimes they say that the chef never enjoys the food as much as the ones who didn't cook it? I've never really felt like that was true until this prib. I did forget the horseradish, so there was no horseradish cream sauce. That bummed me out, as that is one of my favorite parts of prime rib. Here are some pics:

              Trussed


              Seared


              Slathered


              Sous Vide and Finished in Oven:


              Sliced



              Yesterday we made ramen with some of the prime rib leftovers. I ordered some fresh, uncooked noodles from a local ramen house. We boiled some eggs , chopped some scallions and shredded some cabbage. I used the remaining jus as the base for a broth and bolstered with some beef stock and chili garlic paste. I sliced the cold meat thin and added a few cold slices to each bowl of broth and noodles. The broth instantly warmed the meat, which pretty much melted in your mouth. It was awesome. Not sure why, but I enjoyed that dish every bit as much as the traditional meal the night before. Maybe even more.

              Cold prime rib, sliced for Ramen:


              Last edited by Donuthole; 12-27-2019, 11:08 AM.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

              Comment


              • looks great, dh.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  I did my prib (RIP, Triple Dad) roast on Christmas day. Aged it for about a week in the fridge, then trussed, seasoned, and seared on Christmas Eve. Rubbed with an herb and garlic butter, vacuum sealed, and put back in the fridge until morning. Dropped in the sous vide at 6am at 133 degrees. Pulled it at 4 pm and placed it on a cast iron skillet. Seared under the broiler for about 9 minutes until a nice crust had formed on the top and sides. Pulled and carved after about 10 mins of resting. I definitely needed a better knife to slice it with (i meant to grab one similar to the one AA showed in his pics, but just kept forgetting) so I was left to use large, sharp, but not serrated chef's knife. The knife wasn't quite long enough to reach across the entire roast, so the slices started falling apart as I was cutting them. It made for a not as pretty presentation. In retrospect, maybe I should have pulled out my electric knife. I digress.

                  The meat was very good. Even delicious, if you ask my guests. A nice crust, and the garlic butter had clearly basted the roast as it cooked. I made a jus from the drippings, which was very flavorful. The prib was a perfect medium rare (though i'm pretty sure my sister thought it was undercooked), and cut easily, even with the plastic ware we were using. Everybody commented on how delicious and tender it was. My normally-picky 5 year old asked for seconds. But for some reason I just didn't love it. You know how sometimes they say that the chef never enjoys the food as much as the ones who didn't cook it? I've never really felt like that was true until this prib. I did forget the horseradish, so there was no horseradish cream sauce. That bummed me out, as that is one of my favorite parts of prime rib. Here are some pics:

                  Trussed


                  Seared


                  Slathered


                  Sous Vide and Finished in Oven:


                  Sliced



                  Yesterday we made ramen with some of the prime rib leftovers. I ordered some fresh, uncooked noodles from a local ramen house. We boiled some eggs , chopped some scallions and shredded some cabbage. I used the remaining jus as the base for a broth and bolstered with some beef stock and chili garlic paste. I sliced the cold meat thin and added a few cold slices to each bowl of broth and noodles. The broth instantly warmed the meat, which pretty much melted in your mouth. It was awesome. Not sure why, but I enjoyed that dish every bit as much as the traditional meal the night before. Maybe even more.

                  Cold prime rib, sliced for Ramen:


                  Nicely done. Good call on the one-week wet-age.

                  On a separate note, beef prices could be contra seasonal this year due to new capacity coming online in the packing sector, and huge numbers of cattle looking to be slaughter-ready in April. Retail prices have diverged substantially from live cattle prices, so I'm not saying this with certainty, but there's a good possibility for some spring deals right before grilling season. Retail demand was good over the holidays, so look for specials on off-cuts like Tri-tip, etc. for the next few weeks as the rib price is likely to remain steady.
                  sigpic
                  "Outlined against a blue, gray
                  October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                  Grantland Rice, 1924

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

                    Sous Vide and Finished in Oven:

                    Well done. That is an awesome chess cutting board.
                    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                      Well done. That is an awesome chess cutting board.
                      I was thinking the same thing.
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

                      Comment


                      • That looks amazing, DH.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment


                        • Man my mouth is watering. I smoked a chicken.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                            Man my mouth is watering. I smoked a chicken.
                            I roasted a tri-tip that had been given to us. I cooked it in the oven at 350 (along with baked potatoes) instead of on the smoker at 225 like usual. It didn't taste as good as usual - not sure how much of that is because of the cut of meat and how much is because of the cooking method.
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                              Well done. That is an awesome chess cutting board.
                              Ha, I noticed that as well.

                              Nice job DH. I’ve never done prib but I think I need to try it
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                                Ha, I noticed that as well.

                                Nice job DH. I’ve never done prib but I think I need to try it

                                I got one something like that - doesn't have the gutters around the edges though

                                I may be small, but I'm slow.

                                A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X