Egg Nog.....Yuletide Plasma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colly Wolly View Post
    All they have at Walmart is Meadow Gold. Is there a premium brand I should be buying? And save the crap about Walmart. It's the only place I shop, the only retailer worthy of my hard-earned.
    I think the fun of nog is that there are always regional brands. You should be on the lookout and try some different kinds. Mix it up and go to Smiths or Whole Foods or whatever they have in your hood.

My kids love Nog so it is almost like going out for ice cream.

What are the other brands in Utah? I would be surprised if there were not a few local dairies churning out the Nog. I wonder if BYU Creamery has holiday eggnog?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I too like egg nog.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        What are the other brands in Utah? I would be surprised if there were not a few local dairies churning out the Nog. I wonder if BYU Creamery has holiday eggnog?
        Winder Dairy makes a nice Nog. That was my Nog of choice when I lived in Utah. Here in Nevada, Anderson Dairy is the local dairy, and makes a satisfactory offering. Not as good as Winder, though. I really think you need to bring me a bottle of Broguiere's when you come to the Vegas bowl.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Space Ghost
          Wilcox Farms Egg Nog. Milk, cream, cane sugar, and eggs are the first four ingredients of the very fine egg nog produced by the local Washington State Wilcox Farms. I went through a quart of this egg nog in 24 hours last week and didn't even blink... at the time I purchased it I was thinking, "Yeah, this should last me until we leave for vacation [to Utah next week]". Today I upped the ante and bought a half gallon of the Wilcox Farms egg nog. I've already put down a couple glasses. If there is one weakness to this beverage, then it is viscosity - it is a tad thick for my own liking. But then, I'm not watering it down with rum. My local Costco has carried the Wilcox Farms egg nog in the past. I've walked past it at Costco before thinking, "Who can drink a gallon of egg nog?"... and I like egg nog. But this half gallon may not last more than a couple of days... I've caught myself daydreaming about ways of consuming more egg nog, like Egg Nog French Toast, hot steamed Egg Nog, and Egg Nog Coffeecake.

Smith Brothers Farms Egg Nog. This brand of egg nog is just OK, not that great... and not even close to as good as Wilcox Farms. It has a nice delicate flavor of nutmeg and vanilla... but it is far too cloying and leaves my throat a bit dry because of the excessive amount of sugar. Also, like the Wilcox Farms egg nog, the viscosity of the Smith Brothers Farms nog is too thick for my own taste. It must be thinned with some rum (not an option in my case) or with some top quality organic 2% milk. This could be because it is just too sugary/syrupy.

Organic Valley Egg Nog. Organic Valley is not local to Washington State. It can be purchased at most Whole Foods stores and other local organic cooperatives. Now and again I'll find it stocked at the supermarket chains, but not often. The egg nog is delightfully light and maintains a perfect balance between the nutmeg and the vanilla flavors. It is not too sweet (like the Smith Brothers brand) and the viscosity (the one deficit of the Wilcox Farms brand) is perfect - not too thick, not too thin. I don't think this one was made to be watered down with rum. Great straight out of the carton.

cheers.
          For some reason I love that you use the term "viscosity" to describe egg nog. I feel like I can almost taste the nog given your elaborate explanation, and I really enjoy the hint of motor oil I'm getting.
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Once I've had the Ovis Hill Farms awesomeness egg nog, but I still want some more, honestly, the soy Silk Nog is pretty dang good, once you've had your seasonal fix.

My grandpa always had a metal can of egg nog in the cupboard. I never touched it though I wonder how bad it was since he also liked canned OJ. In his defense, he was an orphan, so he would eat anything.
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Name this movie quote
              Ah, come on! It's Christmas Eve! I could be home right now, drinking this *monster* eggnog my brother makes with lighter fluid.
              What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
              -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

And danimal's family makes a mean egg nog every year on Christmas Eve. No lighter fluid, unfortunately, but it's a heart attack in a glass. I will post the recipe later when I am not running late for my daughter's ballet class.
                What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

If I can't force the Nog down my throat, it's not worth drinking. My in-laws "milk" it down and cringe when I drink it straight. Love it. I'm so glad this thread exists. Egg Nog anything is amazing.

Comment

I <3 Egg Nog. There is a glass bottle variety at the grocery store here in the Chicago suburbs that I am going to buy tonight. I will return and report.
                    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Space Ghost
                      Wilcox Farms Egg Nog. Milk, cream, cane sugar, and eggs are the first four ingredients of the very fine egg nog produced by the local Washington State Wilcox Farms. I went through a quart of this egg nog in 24 hours last week and didn't even blink... at the time I purchased it I was thinking, "Yeah, this should last me until we leave for vacation [to Utah next week]". Today I upped the ante and bought a half gallon of the Wilcox Farms egg nog. I've already put down a couple glasses. If there is one weakness to this beverage, then it is viscosity - it is a tad thick for my own liking. But then, I'm not watering it down with rum. My local Costco has carried the Wilcox Farms egg nog in the past. I've walked past it at Costco before thinking, "Who can drink a gallon of egg nog?"... and I like egg nog. But this half gallon may not last more than a couple of days... I've caught myself daydreaming about ways of consuming more egg nog, like Egg Nog French Toast, hot steamed Egg Nog, and Egg Nog Coffeecake.
                      I am totally making that.
                      Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

I like egg nog, unfortunately it doesn't like me

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                          Name this movie quote
                          Better off Dead?
                          Let's get on with the gettin' on....

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                            Name this movie quote
                            Die Hard?

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                              Winder Dairy makes a nice Nog. That was my Nog of choice when I lived in Utah. Here in Nevada, Anderson Dairy is the local dairy, and makes a satisfactory offering. Not as good as Winder, though. I really think you need to bring me a bottle of Broguiere's when you come to the Vegas bowl.
                              I am actually considering bringing some up as gifts. The problem is that they are pricey...almost $7 a bottle...

My in-laws are eggnog lovers (meaning that they both love eggnog, not that they have amorous relations with eggnog or that they use eggnog as a marital aid) so they would enjoy a couple of bottles.

This stuff is rich. I can only drink a small glass in one sitting, otherwise I get a bit of a stomach ache.

I will have to give Winder Dairy a spin if I make it up there. The local dairy eggnog is almost always superior to the national brands.
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Better off Dead. Both as an answer to the movie question and my attitude about drinking egg nog. That stuff is just plain nasty.
                                "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Working...
                                X