The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

I may be more in touch with my feminine side.
    I don't avoid RomComs because I lack sensitivity. I avoid them because they're routinely bad cinema.
    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Baby Reindeer series is wild. True story about a british comedian who ends up with a very tenacious stalker. 8 30-minute episodes.
      Holy crap, that got dark in a hurry.

Not for the faint of heart.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
        I don't avoid RomComs because I lack sensitivity. I avoid them because they're routinely bad cinema.
        Love At First Sight did not feel like a routine RomCom.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

Love At First Sight did not feel like a routine RomCom.
          I'm probably guilty of judging it by the title alone.
          "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

I'm probably guilty of judging it by the title alone.
            Guilty!
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• OK, we just finished the Ripley series. Videography was mesmerizing and production was top notch. Andrew Scott was amazing. Perfect depiction of a sociopath.

I am embarrassed to admit that around episode 2 or 3, I turned to my wife and said, "You know what? This series reminds me of a movie: The Talented Mr. Rip... Oh duh."

Spoiler for spoiler:
              The one thing that bugged me is the ending. We kept yelling at the screen for Marge for the detective to get a clue. But I guess there is a whole series of Ripley novels, so he won't be caught for a while. If ever.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I watch movies with my wife, so we can spend time together, but I don't think I would ever say we both enjoyed the same movie. She's never seen a Quentin Tarantino movie or a Martin Scorsese movie. And she hasn't seen any of the Godfather movies. So, I end up watching Outlander and Bridgerton with her.
                At least you get some soft core skin... (silver linings)
                "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

OK, we just finished the Ripley series. Videography was mesmerizing and production was top notch. Andrew Scott was amazing. Perfect depiction of a sociopath.

I am embarrassed to admit that around episode 2 or 3, I turned to my wife and said, "You know what? This series reminds me of a movie: The Talented Mr. Rip... Oh duh."

Spoiler for spoiler:
                  The one thing that bugged me is the ending. We kept yelling at the screen for Marge for the detective to get a clue. But I guess there is a whole series of Ripley novels, so he won't be caught for a while. If ever.

Ha!

I had totally forgotten about that movie, which I remember liking.

We need to watch this series.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

Holy crap, that got dark in a hurry.

Not for the faint of heart.
                    I'm two episodes in and am just learning that the guy in the show is actually the real life guy who was stalked.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post

I'm two episodes in and am just learning that the guy in the show is actually the real life guy who was stalked.
                      I didn’t discover that until we had finished the series. Mind blowing.

Comment

• I saw UNFROSTED on Netflix over the weekend. For those that don't know, it is Seinfeld's directorial debut. He also wrote and stars in it, but it really is a huge ensemble cast. I think the movie makes the most sense as a fully-fleshed out Seinfeld stage bit. I also think that Jerry probably allowed each of the main actors to develop their characters on their own and write some of their own jokes. The Jerry jokes are jerry jokes. The Gaffigan jokes are 100% Jim, etc.

Be forewarned, the reviews are terrible. The few that I read seem to be hung up on the lack of historicity (the race to develop the shelf-stable breakfast pastry was real, the rest of the details pretty much made-up). I find it laughable that people are upset that this is not an accurate portrayal of the Kellogg's-Post rivalry or some of the other figures. Can you imagine being upset that Bill Burr's impersonation of JFK reduced him to "his sexual obsessions" rather than, I guess, the complex historical character that he is.

If you like the stand-up/humor from Jerry, Gaffigan, Schumer, or Melissa McCarthy, I think you'll really like this movie. The list of cameos and bit parts played by people you know or recognize is pretty amazing:

Jerry
                        Gaffigan
                        McCarthy
                        Schumer
                        Hugh Grant
                        Kyle Mooney
                        Mikey Day
                        Max Greenfield
                        Cedric the Entertainer
                        Kyle Dunnigan
                        Sebastian Maniscalco
                        Beck Bennett
                        Adrian Martinez
                        Jack McBrayer
                        Thomas Lennon
                        Bobby Moynihan
                        James Marsden
                        Aparna Nancherla
                        Tony Hale
                        Peter Dinklage
                        Bill Burr
                        Ronny Chieng
                        Dean Norris
                        George Wallace
                        Jon Hamm
                        John Slattery
                        Fred Armisen
                        Darrell Hammond
                        Dan Levy
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          I saw UNFROSTED on Netflix over the weekend. For those that don't know, it is Seinfeld's directorial debut. He also wrote and stars in it, but it really is a huge ensemble cast. I think the movie makes the most sense as a fully-fleshed out Seinfeld stage bit. I also think that Jerry probably allowed each of the main actors to develop their characters on their own and write some of their own jokes. The Jerry jokes are jerry jokes. The Gaffigan jokes are 100% Jim, etc.

Be forewarned, the reviews are terrible. The few that I read seem to be hung up on the lack of historicity (the race to develop the shelf-stable breakfast pastry was real, the rest of the details pretty much made-up). I find it laughable that people are upset that this is not an accurate portrayal of the Kellogg's-Post rivalry or some of the other figures. Can you imagine being upset that Bill Burr's impersonation of JFK reduced him to "his sexual obsessions" rather than, I guess, the complex historical character that he is.

If you like the stand-up/humor from Jerry, Gaffigan, Schumer, or Melissa McCarthy, I think you'll really like this movie. The list of cameos and bit parts played by people you know or recognize is pretty amazing:

Jerry
                          Gaffigan
                          McCarthy
                          Schumer
                          Hugh Grant
                          Kyle Mooney
                          Mikey Day
                          Max Greenfield
                          Cedric the Entertainer
                          Kyle Dunnigan
                          Sebastian Maniscalco
                          Beck Bennett
                          Adrian Martinez
                          Jack McBrayer
                          Thomas Lennon
                          Bobby Moynihan
                          James Marsden
                          Aparna Nancherla
                          Tony Hale
                          Peter Dinklage
                          Bill Burr
                          Ronny Chieng
                          Dean Norris
                          George Wallace
                          Jon Hamm
                          John Slattery
                          Fred Armisen
                          Darrell Hammond
                          Dan Levy
                          This is the second place I've seen high praise for it. I'll have to check it out, thanks.

Comment

• FTR, this is probably about as accurate as the "based on the true story" of the guy who invented flaming hot cheetos. (Spoiler--he didn't--Frito Lay had been developing and test sampling the flamin' hot seasonings for years before launching. But that's not a great story and that doesn't move product.)
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                              FTR, this is probably about as accurate as the "based on the true story" of the guy who invented flaming hot cheetos. (Spoiler--he didn't--Frito Lay had been developing and test sampling the flamin' hot seasonings for years before launching. But that's not a great story and that doesn't move product.)
                              I haven't seen the cheetos thing, but if anyone watches the Seinfeld pop tart thing and thinks they are watching a documentary, that would be a whole new level of stupid.

Comment

I haven't seen the cheetos thing, but if anyone watches the Seinfeld pop tart thing and thinks they are watching a documentary, that would be a whole new level of stupid.
                                Haha, that's what I was thinking. They don't even use the "based on a true story" line, IIRC.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X