Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Cloverfield Lane

Loved it. Plot twist every ten minutes.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Cap'n America-- good stuff! I'm liking the direction they're going w the new heroes. Spiderman and Black Panther are great additions to the franchise. Not a super riveting plot or anything and I thought there could be a bit more antipathy between Cap and Tony.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Sing Street. A nice break from superheroes and blockbusters, it’s a story about a high school kid who copes with a lousy home life and a terrible school by forming a band to woo an older girl. I got hooked in the initial scene when he puts his parents’ argument to song. The story shows the transformative power of music, but doesn’t dissolve into cheap sentiment. There’s a classic scene in which the star (great kid) imagines he’s playing at a prom like the one in Back to the Future—an Oscar-worthy song and great entertainment. It’s the kind of movie that’s fun to talk about days later, esp. the relationship of the brothers who deal very differently with the same crap life has dealt them. It’s especially good if you liked 80’s bands like Duran Duran, The Cure, Hall and Oates, A-Ha, etc.

The movie grades out around 95% on Rotten Tomatoes and 8.4 on IMDB.
        [YOUTUBE]jYk2Vx1z6lk[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          10 Cloverfield Lane

Loved it. Plot twist every ten minutes.
          Yup totally agree.

I liked the dynamic of "Whatever's going on out there can't possibly be as scary as what's happening in here."

Comment

• Ant-Man - Pretty mediocre. Paul Rudd is good but the story was boring. Michael Pena was the best part. Marvel needs to reevaluate their dedication to creating interesting antagonists. This guy was a total rehash of Iron-Man: bald CEO who wants to aim another guy's company in a more destructive direction and winds up fighting the hero using a suit with equivalent powers.

The Guest
            - Dan Stevens is a psychotic ex-soldier who ingratiates himself with the family of a deceased squad mate. Kind of a neo-80s thriller. Not a great movie but I thought it was entertaining. The third act is a bit silly but it's worth a watch on Netflix.

Look Who's Back - Film version of the German novel in which Hitler inexplicably returns to modern Berlin. Definitely a case where the book is better. The movie goes a bit too broad and meta and lacks the comedic punch of the book. It wasn't bad, but not great. Did have a funny nod to Downfall's infamous angry Hitler scene.

Comment

• Money Monster--Acting was great, but you know exactly how it's going to end from the opening shot.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• The Abolitionists--Human trafficking is actually a big problem in Houston, and about 1/2 of the Eagle Projects in our area focus on providing structure and support to rescue operations. So we saw the film (produced by the Mo who runs Operation Underground Railroad).

To the extent that it raises awareness of this horrific issue, I think we should applaud their efforts.

From a documentary filmmaking perspective, I think they have squandered a solid opportunity to show the scale of horror that comes with human trafficking. I understand their dilemma (their target audience is wealthy, God-fearing folk), but I feel like I've seen TV news magazine stories that painted a more sympathetic picture than the film.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                  The Abolitionists--Human trafficking is actually a big problem in Houston, and about 1/2 of the Eagle Projects in our area focus on providing structure and support to rescue operations. So we saw the film (produced by the Mo who runs Operation Underground Railroad).

To the extent that it raises awareness of this horrific issue, I think we should applaud their efforts.

From a documentary filmmaking perspective, I think they have squandered a solid opportunity to show the scale of horror that comes with human trafficking. I understand their dilemma (their target audience is wealthy, God-fearing folk), but I feel like I've seen TV news magazine stories that painted a more sympathetic picture than the film.
                  I watched the movie during a private screening last week (and then they hit me up for a donation ). A good friend of mine is on one of the teams and he actually sent me video of a take down he took on his phone. The girls in this video looked 12-13 years old and these dirty old dudes were all over them. It was seriously hard to watch.
                  *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                    The Abolitionists--Human trafficking is actually a big problem in Houston, and about 1/2 of the Eagle Projects in our area focus on providing structure and support to rescue operations. So we saw the film (produced by the Mo who runs Operation Underground Railroad).

Who's behind the human trafficking? Is it the Russian/Eastern Europe organized crime? The drug cartels?
                    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                      Who's behind the human trafficking? Is it the Russian/Eastern Europe organized crime? The drug cartels?
                      They don't get into that, but I'd assume that the answer is yes. It's also local pimps throughout the third world who hustle teenagers; it's the owners of orphanages who are willing to sell children for cash without jumping through proper legal hurdles and without doing due diligence on the identity of the transferee.

In Houston, I believe the majority of the women rescued are from Latin America and Southeast Asia.

Comment

• I would guess the Mexican Cartels are leading the way in U.S. human trafficking. I've met some kids who were used as drug mules and I don't see why they wouldn't go other directions with their business model.
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                          Probably varies by the region of the country.

Comment

• now that I'm slavishly following PAC's movie recommendations (I never would have seen Eye in the Sky without his post about it) I went to Sing Street and that was faboo.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                              Sing Street. A nice break from superheroes and blockbusters, it’s a story about a high school kid who copes with a lousy home life and a terrible school by forming a band to woo an older girl. I got hooked in the initial scene when he puts his parents’ argument to song. The story shows the transformative power of music, but doesn’t dissolve into cheap sentiment. There’s a classic scene in which the star (great kid) imagines he’s playing at a prom like the one in Back to the Future—an Oscar-worthy song and great entertainment. It’s the kind of movie that’s fun to talk about days later, esp. the relationship of the brothers who deal very differently with the same crap life has dealt them. It’s especially good if you liked 80’s bands like Duran Duran, The Cure, Hall and Oates, A-Ha, etc.

The movie grades out around 95% on Rotten Tomatoes and 8.4 on IMDB.
                              [YOUTUBE]jYk2Vx1z6lk[/YOUTUBE]
                              Saw that this morning and loved it. Found it kind of inspiring, actually. One of the better movies I've seen in the last couple years.

Comment

• This might surprise some, but I don't post about every movie we see; e.g., I won't comment on Money Matters (oh, wth, entertaining and well-paced but not awesome, with screenplay apparently by Bernie Sanders), and I might have skipped on Love and Friendship as well, but with KL my new target audience I feel obliged to mention it. The movie's based on one of Jane Austen's earliest works (Lady Susan) that was published posthumously. It's not one of her best, nor is this at the top of the Austen movies, but it's still enjoyable with the usual sharp humor and snappy dialogue. My Austen-loving wife really liked it, even without Colin Firth. The dimwitted James Martin (Tom Bennett) provides a laugh pretty much every time he opens his mouth. The trailer gives an accurate look of the entire film (Like it? See it).

Taking the missus was the price of next week's choice, The Nice Guys. Win win.

[YOUTUBE]8MaSK3POHI0[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Working...
                                X