No announcement yet.

The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McFarland, USA. As one would expect, it's predictable and sentimental, but it was still a surprisingly pleasant couple of hours. If nothing else, it made me want to give anyone who works years in the fields a very short pathway to citizenship. Nasty work.

Comment

• Kingsman - Loved it.

Comment

• Still Alice. Pretty much what I expected, with a superb, restrained performance by Julianne Moore (and one by Alec Baldwin as well), but it was still a huge downer; how could it not be, as one watches a brilliant college professor reduced to a mental cipher? I liked the ending of Kingsman better than the way this turns out.

Like Alice, my mission president (who was a very successful trial attorney and, post-mission, the last non-GA to serve as the Church's General YM President) died of early onset Alzheimer's in his early 50s. A horrific ailment.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          Still Alice. Pretty much what I expected, with a superb, restrained performance by Julianne Moore (and one by Alec Baldwin as well), but it was still a huge downer; how could it not be, as one watches a brilliant college professor reduced to a mental cipher? I liked the ending of Kingsman better than the way this turns out.

Like Alice, my mission president (who was a very successful trial attorney and, post-mission, the last non-GA to serve as the Church's General YM President) died of early onset Alzheimer's in his early 50s. A horrific ailment.
          My wife sobbed through the last hour of Still Alice. Hit too close to home.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Armenag View Post
            A Most Wanted Man - Competing German intelligence agencies track and scheme to use a Chechen immigrant recently (and illegally) arrived in Hamburg. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is the head of the agency the film follows; Rachel McAdams is the Chechen's human rights/immigration lawyer; Willem Dafoe is a banker who gets roped in. Well made and well acted, but like all adaptations of le Carre's novels (and the novels themselves), it left me a bit cold. A good movie, but I wouldn't push anyone to go out of their way to see it.
            I fell asleep during this movie. I didn't love it.
            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
              Jeez, how many times can Luc Besson resurrect La Femme Nikita? Let me count the ways he creates female characters brutally victimized by men who then grow extraordinarily strong and open up a can of whoop on their male dominators:

Le Femme Nikita
              Point of No Return
              Leon: The Professional
              The Fifth Element
              The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc
              Bandidas (x 2!)
              Columbiana
              Lucy
              I saw the Fifth Element in high school, but I only mostly remember the alien chick's bare bosoms. If, like me, you haven't seen any of the other films, I liked Lucy. It was thought provoking, and ScoJo (even when she isn't all gussied up) is a great incentive. Morgan Freeman's voice as well.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                My wife sobbed through the last hour of Still Alice. Hit too close to home.
                I admit I teared up a couple of times myself, as did the missus. Mick LaSalle, our local reviewer, gave a very good review of the film that ends with the following: "For all the movie’s honesty, the reality of Alzheimer’s disease is a lot worse than what you see in “Still Alice.” Perhaps directors Richard Glatzer and Wash Westmoreland made a calculation as to how much an audience can take. They were right."

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  I admit I teared up a couple of times myself, as did the missus. Mick LaSalle, our local reviewer, gave a very good review of the film that ends with the following: "For all the movie’s honesty, the reality of Alzheimer’s disease is a lot worse than what you see in “Still Alice.” Perhaps directors Richard Glatzer and Wash Westmoreland made a calculation as to how much an audience can take. They were right."
                  Yep. Wait until your mother no longer recognizes you. Or herself in the mirror. Tears your heart out. Death by a thousand cuts.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• As I re-read through this thread, I wonder: is PAC retired?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Yep. Wait until your mother no longer recognizes you. Or herself in the mirror. Tears your heart out. Death by a thousand cuts.
                      My grandpa started yelling and cursing at the man he saw in the mirror to get out of his house. My grandma covered up the mirrors in the house. There were a lot of mirrors.
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

As I re-read through this thread, I wonder: is PAC retired?
                        No.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

• Jack Reacher - I fell asleep the first time I tried watching this, but he concept intrigued me so I watched it again. I actually liked it, but felt the plot as a bit too shallow. It had a "shooter" vibe to it. I think I the right hands the script would have been much better. I did like the way the scenes were shot.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            Jack Reacher - I fell asleep the first time I tried watching this, but he concept intrigued me so I watched it again. I actually liked it, but felt the plot as a bit too shallow. It had a "shooter" vibe to it. I think I the right hands the script would have been much better. I did like the way the scenes were shot.
                            Did you like Rosamund Pike?

I really like the Reacher books, but I didn't love the movie. Maybe it was 5'5" Tom Cruise playing 6'5" Jack Reacher.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

As I re-read through this thread, I wonder: is PAC retired?
                              I wish, although I don't log the billables that I used to, and my church calling demands little. So with an empty nest, Mrs. PAC and I head out to the cineplex pretty much once a week, and occasionally more. She doesn't enjoy movies as much as I do, but she's a willing companion. Last year I saw nearly 60 movies. That's a boatload of popcorn.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                                Did you like Rosamund Pike?

I really like the Reacher books, but I didn't love the movie. Maybe it was 5'5" Tom Cruise playing 6'5" Jack Reacher.
                                My colleague at work said almost the same thing. But the height discrepancy was so much for her that she didn't even watch the movie.

I haven't read the books, but I did enjoy the movie.
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X