The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wizard of Oz the Great and Powerful

Ehh... If I had come in w expectations I would have been disappointed I think. However, I know it's supposed to be a kid's movie and possibly the introduction to a few sequels in a new OZ series. I thought James Franco was great for this role and don't really understand the criticism I've heard that he was miscast. Pros/Cons
    Spoiler for in case you don't know how the Wizard of Oz goes:
    Things I hated? Well just Mila Kunis' CGI makeup job that made her look like the Mask. I also hate how naive they made her. It seemed like a shortcut to get to the whole wicked witch thing. Things I liked? I liked the look of the movie and some of the effects in the later scenes. I liked the China girl too. I also really liked the emotional gravitas and tension despite it being set in a nonsensical fantasy land. I guess that's the point, right?. Sam Raimi's expertise with witches and horror (see Drag Me to Hell) peeks through a couple times, which made me grin.

I guess I liked it overall and wouldn't hesitate to take the bambinos to this if I had any. I'm glad it did well this weekend, because I wouldn't mind a sequel and didn't want to see this get John Cartered.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
      We watched "The perks of being a wallflower" this weekend. What a good and profound movie.. 2 thumbs up...
      We watched that one two weekends ago.

I quite liked it as well.
      Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
        Wizard of Oz the Great and Powerful

Ehh... If I had come in w expectations I would have been disappointed I think. However, I know it's supposed to be a kid's movie and possibly the introduction to a few sequels in a new OZ series. I thought James Franco was great for this role and don't really understand the criticism I've heard that he was miscast. Pros/Cons
        Spoiler for in case you don't know how the Wizard of Oz goes:
        Things I hated? Well just Mila Kunis' CGI makeup job that made her look like the Mask. I also hate how naive they made her. It seemed like a shortcut to get to the whole wicked witch thing. Things I liked? I liked the look of the movie and some of the effects in the later scenes. I liked the China girl too. I also really liked the emotional gravitas and tension despite it being set in a nonsensical fantasy land. I guess that's the point, right?. Sam Raimi's expertise with witches and horror (see Drag Me to Hell) peeks through a couple times, which made me grin.

I guess I liked it overall and wouldn't hesitate to take the bambinos to this if I had any. I'm glad it did well this weekend, because I wouldn't mind a sequel and didn't want to see this get John Cartered.
        Everyone's seen this by now, right? Pretty entertaining.

So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• My son and I watched Top Gun the other day because it is on Amazon Prime and he had never seen it before. My son has some learning disabilities but one thing he has going for him is a near photographic memory of anything related to movies. He can watch a movie once and then repeat most of the lines from the movie with a near perfect accent and delivery. It is quite incredible to watch. The downside is that he has been driving me nuts ever since we watched it with Top Gun quotes ("Goose, talk to me!" "You can be my wingman any time.", etc.).

Anyway, I was just looking on IMDB and noticed this photo of Kelly McGillis:

Holy crap, she looks 80 years old. Here is a recent Tom Cruise photo for comparison.

Maybe there is something to that Scientology stuff...
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Something tells me that Mila Kunis won't age well...

Comment

• Originally posted by statman View Post
              Something tells me that Mila Kunis won't age well...
              If it happens it will be because of the stink from Ashton Kutcher.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                My son and I watched Top Gun the other day because it is on Amazon Prime and he had never seen it before. My son has some learning disabilities but one thing he has going for him is a near photographic memory of anything related to movies. He can watch a movie once and then repeat most of the lines from the movie with a near perfect accent and delivery. It is quite incredible to watch. The downside is that he has been driving me nuts ever since we watched it with Top Gun quotes ("Goose, talk to me!" "You can be my wingman any time.", etc.).

Holy crap, she looks 80 years old. Here is a recent Tom Cruise photo for comparison.

Huh - my son too. Have I never discussed that with you? I don't recall.

He used to "watch TV" in church - you could watch him scroll through shows in his head and he'd start to quietly giggle to himself. You could ask him what he was watching and he'd start right in with the dialog. I'm sure he still does it, but he hides it a lot better now, and is more self-aware now than he used to be and won't as readily tell you what he's watching...

Comment

• Originally posted by statman View Post
                  Huh - my son too. Have I never discussed that with you? I don't recall.

He used to "watch TV" in church - you could watch him scroll through shows in his head and he'd start to quietly giggle to himself. You could ask him what he was watching and he'd start right in with the dialog. I'm sure he still does it, but he hides it a lot better now, and is more self-aware now than he used to be and won't as readily tell you what he's watching...
                  Fascinating. It is strange because sometimes he can't remember what 2+2 equals (literally), but he can deliver Mel Gibson's battlefield speech with a perfect Scottish accent. If only he could turn that into a career somehow.

When we are with other people we always have to tell him to cut back on the movie quotes or he ends up driving every one nuts. He can carry on for hours. I think his favorite is "O Brother, Where Art Thou?". I am tempted to let him watch The Big Lebowski, but then he would be quoting f-bombs all day.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    My son and I watched Top Gun the other day because it is on Amazon Prime and he had never seen it before. My son has some learning disabilities but one thing he has going for him is a near photographic memory of anything related to movies. He can watch a movie once and then repeat most of the lines from the movie with a near perfect accent and delivery. It is quite incredible to watch. The downside is that he has been driving me nuts ever since we watched it with Top Gun quotes ("Goose, talk to me!" "You can be my wingman any time.", etc.).

I don't mind saying it. Tom Cruise is one good looking dude. He has aged very well. And there isn't a better runner in the movies:

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                      I don't mind saying it. Tom Cruise is one good looking dude. He has aged very well. And there isn't a better runner in the movies:

OK. That's funny right there..

Comment

• As opposed to Steven Segall and Vigo Mortensson, both of whom are terrible runners.

Comment

• Watched a couple movies referenced recently in this thread.

Mr. Nobody. Pretentious and awful. Thumbs down.

End of Watch. Wow. Some really difficult scenes but very captivating. Thumbs up.

Comment

• I saw End of Watch, too. Usually I find movies that use the faux-documentary format to be clumsily rendered and have a hard time getting into them. This one was really cool though. A little hokey, but all in good fun.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Saw "quartet," a Maggie Smith vehicle about aged opera stars at a retirement home for musicians. It was ok. Not great. I would wait I til it's on Netflix.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• I think it was Hostile who said he was planning to watch "Imposter" at Sundance this year, and I thought it looked very intriquing. It was picked up on Netflix so I watched it, the story of Nicolas Barclay, a 13 year old who disappeared from San Antonio, TX, and resurfaced 3 years later in a small town in Spain. When Nicolas disappeared, he had blue eyes and blond hair and a Texas accent. When he was found, he appeared much older, had brown eyes and black hair, and spoke english with a french accent. His family welcomes him home, and takes him into their embrace for months before the truth comes out.

Since imposter Frederic Bourdain narrates the movie, there is no doubt from the beginning that the newly found Nicolas Barclay is an imposter. The movie is no less suspenseful and thrilling, concentrating first on why Bourdain would seek to pose as an absolute stranger, and how he thought he could possibly pull it off. Second, the movie chronicles the chain of events put into motion by completely incompetant people that leads to Bourdain obtaining a US passport-- the local police, the local magistrate, the US consul, everyone. When Bourdain gets to the US, the movie takes a dark turn (much darker turn) as it turns to reasons why a family would refuse to believe that this swarthy algerian man of 23 years is anything but their 16 year old blue eyed blond haired son.

The entire first half of the movie I was thinking WTF? Why will no one take a good look at this imposter and see that he is not the boy. The movie does a good job explaining why the FBI agent wants him to be the real boy, and eventually, why the family wants him to be the real boy.

Spoiler for Minor spoiler:
                                We finally get some sanity back when the TV show Hard Copy assigns a Private Investigator to the case-- he is the first one to take a step back. Also, the FBI sends the boy to a battery of child psychiatrists. One takes one look at the boy and says that he was not raised in the US. If you grow up in a country speaking the local language, you cannot "unlearn" your native accent. It is impossible. You might acquire skills in another language and speak your second language fluently, but you cannot unlearn your own native language.

Even presented with incontrovertible evidence, the family refuses to believe and will not give any DNA samples for testing.

Comment

Working...
                                X