Official Motorcycle Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pelado
    Bald not naked
    • Sep 2010
    • 21142

    #106
    I watched a clip from Long Way Around. That's about as close as I've gotten to riding a motorcycle in decades.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

    Comment

    • Copelius
      Maker of eyeballs
      • Dec 2012
      • 4061

      #107
      Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post

      Sweet! I’ve put about 25,00 miles on my RT. Taken it to the Bay Area, Montana, Banff, Colorado and New Mexico. I bought it in Tennessee and rode it back to Utah. It eats up the miles, but is still fun in the twisties. We also take it on day trips like Bear Lake, Monte Christo, Mirror Lake highway, and Strawberry reservoir,

      I assume the -P means it was a police motorcycle. Does it have some luxuries like cruise control, adjustable windshield, heated grips and seat?
      The only luxury it is missing from the civilian version is the audio system and a rear seat. It has a bunch of wiring for the police electronics still but I am not sure how I would install civilian electronics into those plugs. I'd probably have to go down to the bare wires.
      “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

      Comment

      • clackamascoug
        Banned
        • Dec 2009
        • 9709

        #108
        Originally posted by Copelius View Post
        I am back in the saddle. I just can't quit my obsession with motorcycles. However I have shifted away from the cruiser to a touring bike. Got a R1200 RT-P. Really fun ride.
        I just spent half an hour watching RTP videos.

        Thanks

        Comment

        • Copelius
          Maker of eyeballs
          • Dec 2012
          • 4061

          #109
          Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post

          I just spent half an hour watching RTP videos.

          Thanks
          You're welcome.

          Two weeks in and I'm loving it. All kinds of get up and go. My wife gives me grief about it not having a back seat, but oh well.
          “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

          Comment

          • Pelado
            Bald not naked
            • Sep 2010
            • 21142

            #110
            Originally posted by Copelius View Post

            You're welcome.

            Two weeks in and I'm loving it. All kinds of get up and go. My wife gives me grief about it not having a back seat, but oh well.
            Planned it that way?
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

            Comment

            • Copelius
              Maker of eyeballs
              • Dec 2012
              • 4061

              #111
              I can neither confirm nor deny that the single seat influenced me one way or another.
              “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

              Comment

              • Copelius
                Maker of eyeballs
                • Dec 2012
                • 4061

                #112
                My motorcycle days may be coming to an end. Super close call last night, 100% other driver, on my way to choir, which triggered some PTSD. Closest I have ever come to turning on my siren. The ride home was not a positive experience. Didn't help that there was a biker killed yesterday near my house, so my inlaws decided to call my wife and worry her. I have been noticing the uptick in motorcycle deaths lately and notice that while the initial uptick was from stupid motorcyclists exceding their abilities, more recently it has been due to cars not paying attention.

                Rode in today to see if I can get back on the horse, so to speak, but didn't take my normal route on the freeway. Lots to contemplate.
                “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

                Comment

                • Scott R Nelson
                  UofU/BYU mixed marriage
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 1508

                  #113
                  Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                  My motorcycle days may be coming to an end.
                  I was just down in Salt Lake last week and I think that if I lived along the Wasatch Front - in any of Weber, Davis, Salt Lake, or Utah Counties - I would consider giving it up as well. The roads there just feel more dangerous to me.

                  However, in Idaho I don't need to spend much time in traffic, then I'm on great dirt roads with very little traffic. Cows in the road are a bigger danger than other traffic on those roads. And I get to regularly see things like this:

                  SDcS1uc.jpg

                  Comment

                  • chrisrenrut
                    Strikes and Gutters
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 2298

                    #114
                    Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                    My motorcycle days may be coming to an end. Super close call last night, 100% other driver, on my way to choir, which triggered some PTSD. Closest I have ever come to turning on my siren. The ride home was not a positive experience. Didn't help that there was a biker killed yesterday near my house, so my inlaws decided to call my wife and worry her. I have been noticing the uptick in motorcycle deaths lately and notice that while the initial uptick was from stupid motorcyclists exceding their abilities, more recently it has been due to cars not paying attention.

                    Rode in today to see if I can get back on the horse, so to speak, but didn't take my normal route on the freeway. Lots to contemplate.
                    I have seriously considered getting one of these:


                    my commute is pretty easy, mostly two lane freeway that doesn’t get too heavy. It’s town riding that worries me the most. Cross streets and drivers that don’t look before turning seem to be the most common car-caused motorcycle accident. On the freeway, my biggest fear is the person that swerves across 3 lanes for an exit because they didn’t pay attention. That and road debris.

                    Comment

                    • bluegoose
                      7th round draft pick
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 4121

                      #115
                      One of my employees has a mom that is critical in the ICU this week after getting hit while on her motorcycle on Monday. Distracted driver drifted into their lane on a mountain highway and hit her head on. Boyfriend died immediately. She has a pelvic fracture, femur fracture, tibia/fibula fracture, and her bicep was torn off her arm. Among other injuries. Fortunately no head or neck injuries. Sorry to bring the hate into this thread, but I see the effects frequently at work. I hate motorcycles.

                      Comment

                      • Copelius
                        Maker of eyeballs
                        • Dec 2012
                        • 4061

                        #116
                        Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post

                        I have seriously considered getting one of these:


                        my commute is pretty easy, mostly two lane freeway that doesn’t get too heavy. It’s town riding that worries me the most. Cross streets and drivers that don’t look before turning seem to be the most common car-caused motorcycle accident. On the freeway, my biggest fear is the person that swerves across 3 lanes for an exit because they didn’t pay attention. That and road debris.
                        That's what happened last night
                        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

                        Comment

                        • The_Tick
                          Made something of myself
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 7295

                          #117
                          I lost my boss a month ago in a motorcycle accident in the Santa Barbara area. He was doing everything he was supposed to, and was wearing all of the requisite gear. He ended up being at the wrong place at the wrong time....because the other driver wasn't doing their job.

                          Comment

                          • Joe Public
                            8.1 YPC
                            • Apr 2011
                            • 8525

                            #118
                            I sold my motorcycle when our oldest was born. Now that the children are getting older, I’ve looked at the motorcycle riders splitting lanes while the rest of us sit still during our commute and wondered whether it’s time to get another one. Then I read (yet more) stories like these and maintain the pause.
                            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

                            "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

                            Comment

                            • Bo Diddley
                              Senior
                              • Jul 2012
                              • 18791

                              #119
                              Glad you're still with us, Cope! My battle buddy gave up riding after he hit a deer in Nephi Canyon a few years back. We nearly lost him.

                              Comment

                              Working...