Official Motorcycle Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Donuthole
    Official Outgayer
    • Nov 2008
    • 25268

    #91
    Originally posted by Shaka View Post
    I came across a listing for a Kawasaki Vulcan Custom that had been stolen, had the ignitiion cut out be the thieves, recovered, and dumped on its side in a low speed tip over so the tank and pipes were dented. The bike was recovered before an insurance claim was filed so the title is still normal. I went to check it out and once I deteremined the engine wasn't siezed I offered $1000. The guy took the offer and I've spent the last several months restoring. The last thing I need to do is respray the tank as I sanded through the clear coat the first go-round. My thousand dollar bike is now worth four times that and runs like a dream. Fun project.
    I mean, you wouldn't try to sell that as a "clean title" bike, so it's really not worth 4x as much, right? Right?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

    Comment

    • Pelado
      Bald not naked
      • Sep 2010
      • 21142

      #92
      Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

      I mean, you wouldn't try to sell that as a "clean title" bike, so it's really not worth 4x as much, right? Right?
      If it has a clean title, why shouldn't he?
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

      Comment

      • falafel
        loves to talk on things
        • Mar 2009
        • 37987

        #93
        Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        I came across a listing for a Kawasaki Vulcan Custom that had been stolen, had the ignitiion cut out be the thieves, recovered, and dumped on its side in a low speed tip over so the tank and pipes were dented. The bike was recovered before an insurance claim was filed so the title is still normal. I went to check it out and once I deteremined the engine wasn't siezed I offered $1000. The guy took the offer and I've spent the last several months restoring. The last thing I need to do is respray the tank as I sanded through the clear coat the first go-round. My thousand dollar bike is now worth four times that and runs like a dream. Fun project.
        I'll buy it for $2k.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

        Dig your own grave, and save!

        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • Shaka
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 10449

          #94
          Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

          I mean, you wouldn't try to sell that as a "clean title" bike, so it's really not worth 4x as much, right? Right?
          The title is clean. The insurance company was never contacted and the bike recovered quickly. I replaced the ignition and the bike runs like new.

          Comment

          • Donuthole
            Official Outgayer
            • Nov 2008
            • 25268

            #95
            Shady, bro. Just because it didn’t get reported doesn’t mean it never happened. I hope if you ever listed it you would say “title is technically clean because I fixed it before it was reported to the insurance company. So it has been wrecked but was fixed.” Even then, though, nothing is stopping a future owner from just listing it without that info. Which is the entire point of a branded title—making sure every potential buyer in the future has the opportunity to know that a vehicle has been wrecked.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

            There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

            Comment

            • Non Sequitur
              Where did I put my bodkin
              • Nov 2008
              • 5773

              #96
              Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              Shady, bro. Just because it didn’t get reported doesn’t mean it never happened. I hope if you ever listed it you would say “title is technically clean because I fixed it before it was reported to the insurance company. So it has been wrecked but was fixed.” Even then, though, nothing is stopping a future owner from just listing it without that info. Which is the entire point of a branded title—making sure every potential buyer in the future has the opportunity to know that a vehicle has been wrecked.
              I'm not sure dented pipes and tank qualify as wrecked. If I'm buying a bike, I care a lot more about the miles than whether the tank or pipes were replaced. Also, the first question I'm going to ask is whether the bike has ever been laid down, so that's likely to come out regardless.
              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

              Comment

              • Shaka
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 10449

                #97
                Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                Shady, bro. Just because it didn’t get reported doesn’t mean it never happened. I hope if you ever listed it you would say “title is technically clean because I fixed it before it was reported to the insurance company. So it has been wrecked but was fixed.” Even then, though, nothing is stopping a future owner from just listing it without that info. Which is the entire point of a branded title—making sure every potential buyer in the future has the opportunity to know that a vehicle has been wrecked.
                The only damage incurred when the bike was stolen was the ignition switch. The tip-over was the owner's fault. Branding a title because of a key cylinder and a few wires is overkill. Branded titles are for wrecked bikes with major structural damage and/or odometer issues. This bike had neither. A sizable percentage of road bikes have been dumped and have tank/pipe damage. Fixing that isn't enough to warrant a branded title or consider the bike wrecked. As for the rest of the restoration, most of it has been going over the bike and fixing wear items like fork seals. If I sell, which I probably will not, it will be represented accurately.

                Comment

                • Shaka
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 10449

                  #98
                  This is the bike mentioned above. Matte paint jobs are difficult due to the finish sanding and the inability to polish like you would a normal gloss finish. I tried again last week and got it nearly perfect. This wasn't some Home Depot Rustoleum paint job. It was done with automotive grade basecoat and 2K clearcoat. I'm glad this restoraiton is complete. Very fun bike to ride. I Sorry I can't get the photo posting to work right so here's a full size thumbnail.
                  Finished Vulcan.jpg
                  Last edited by Shaka; 08-16-2022, 03:03 PM.

                  Comment

                  • Bo Diddley
                    Senior
                    • Jul 2012
                    • 18791

                    #99
                    Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                    This is the bike mentioned above. Mate paint jobs are difficult due to the finish sanding and the inability to polish like you would a normal gloss finish. I tried again last week and got it nearly perfect. This wasn't some Home Depot Rustoleum paint job. It was done with automotive grade basecoat and 2K clearcoat. I'm glad this restoraiton is complete. Very fun bike to ride. I Sorry I can't get the photo posting to work right so here's a full size thumbnail.
                    Sweet!

                    Comment

                    • Pelado
                      Bald not naked
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 21142

                      #100
                      Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                      This is the bike mentioned above. Matte paint jobs are difficult due to the finish sanding and the inability to polish like you would a normal gloss finish. I tried again last week and got it nearly perfect. This wasn't some Home Depot Rustoleum paint job. It was done with automotive grade basecoat and 2K clearcoat. I'm glad this restoraiton is complete. Very fun bike to ride. I Sorry I can't get the photo posting to work right so here's a full size thumbnail.
                      Finished Vulcan.jpg
                      Is there something about matte that makes it better than a gloss finish, other than just personal preference?
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

                      Comment

                      • Non Sequitur
                        Where did I put my bodkin
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5773

                        #101
                        Originally posted by Pelado View Post

                        Is there something about matte that makes it better than a gloss finish, other than just personal preference?
                        I would love to see what that bike looks with chrome pipes.
                        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                        Comment

                        • Shaka
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 10449

                          #102
                          Originally posted by Pelado View Post

                          Is there something about matte that makes it better than a gloss finish, other than just personal preference?
                          It's just a preference. It's become a popular sheen for everything from cars/trucks to guitars. This motorcycle just happened to be that way. I thought about doing a really paint job with bright green or orange. It would have required much more work though.

                          Comment

                          • Shaka
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 10449

                            #103
                            Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

                            I would love to see what that bike looks with chrome pipes.
                            It looks pretty good with the chrome pipes. I thought hard about putting some on but ultimately decided to stick with the stock color.

                            Comment

                            • Copelius
                              Maker of eyeballs
                              • Dec 2012
                              • 4061

                              #104
                              I am back in the saddle. I just can't quit my obsession with motorcycles. However I have shifted away from the cruiser to a touring bike. Got a R1200 RT-P. Really fun ride.
                              “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

                              Comment

                              • chrisrenrut
                                Strikes and Gutters
                                • Jul 2009
                                • 2298

                                #105
                                Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                                I am back in the saddle. I just can't quit my obsession with motorcycles. However I have shifted away from the cruiser to a touring bike. Got a R1200 RT-P. Really fun ride.
                                Sweet! I’ve put about 25,00 miles on my RT. Taken it to the Bay Area, Montana, Banff, Colorado and New Mexico. I bought it in Tennessee and rode it back to Utah. It eats up the miles, but is still fun in the twisties. We also take it on day trips like Bear Lake, Monte Christo, Mirror Lake highway, and Strawberry reservoir,

                                I assume the -P means it was a police motorcycle. Does it have some luxuries like cruise control, adjustable windshield, heated grips and seat?

                                Comment

                                Working...