The official weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
    (at the time NJ was still a holdout, not sure if they still are)
    They are not, IIRC.

I should give saner heads in Oregon a little credit. The law was recently changed to allow citizens of rural counties to pump their own gas. I believe there is a population level below which this rule applies.

I know, still stupid, but it's slow progress.

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Wait a minute. The Oregon voters supported keeping this law? Lol. That is wild.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Wait a minute. The Oregon voters supported keeping this law? Lol. That is wild.
        There is a large segment of the population that not only supports it, but is passionate about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post

There is a large segment of the population that not only supports it, but is passionate about it.
          Do they have a similar law about bagging groceries? Busing your own trash after finishing a meal at a fast food restaurant?
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Do they have a similar law about bagging groceries? Busing your own trash after finishing a meal at a fast food restaurant?
            Shhhh! Please, don't give them any ideas!
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• If you ride a motorcycle in Oregon you can pump your own gas. I fill up every once in a while in Jordan Valley when I'm out that way. They'll still come out and check on things though, and maybe help put the credit card in the machine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

My in laws never fill up their cars in Oregon despite the fact they live there. They instead fill up in Caldwell because gas is cheaper there. They used to have a gas co-op in town as well where they could pump their own gas, but I think it was dissolved a decade ago.

One time on a trip to the coast, I stopped to fill up and got out and started the process. A kid came running out and told me I wasn’t allowed to pump my own gas. I then remembered the law and let him finish the process but by that point it was already done except for putting the pump handle back. I didn’t tip him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Wait, was I supposed to tip the dude in Oregon that came and took my card and said, "fill up?". If so, then "oops", I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

Wait, was I supposed to tip the dude in Oregon that came and took my card and said, "fill up?". If so, then "oops", I guess.
                  I wondered about this the first couple of weeks we moved here. When everything goes swimmingly an attendant meets you right when you pull up, fills your gas, and +/- cleans your windshield. I mean it's pretty good service. But then just observing everyone else we realized that it's not considered a tippable service.

The first time I needed gas in Oregon I got out and started filling it up. An employee came over and said 'you can't do that', I thought he was joking and I laughed, and he said no srsly it's against the law. Being a bleeding heart liberal this shouldn't bother me as much as it does, but it really does. It's a breath of fresh air when we drive out of state and I can pump my own gas. Well, at least when the weather's good.
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

If he’s making $15 an hour, probably not.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• West coast heat wave part 2:

California Braces for Dangerous Weekend of Record-Setting Heat
                      The West Coast is preparing for yet another extreme heat wave, with highs in the triple digits in parts of the state on Saturday.
                      [...]
                      The hottest weather is forecast for the weekend. The Sacramento Valley is projected to reach a record-breaking 115 degrees on Saturday and Sunday. Temperatures will run even higher in Death Valley, which may hit 123 on Saturday. Coastal regions will still be very hot, but spared from the extreme heat by marine air. Very minor relief from the heat could come on Monday; the Central Valley will still be dealing with temperatures up to 110 degrees.
                      [...]
                      https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/08/u...alifornia.html

It seems that California has become hell.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• 65 right now in Monterey.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          West coast heat wave part 2:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/08/u...alifornia.html

It seems that California has become hell.
                          It'll definitely be Texas-like for a few days (albeit with lower humidity). I may have to head over to SF to cool off.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

It'll definitely be Texas-like for a few days (albeit with lower humidity). I may have to head over to SF to cool off.
                            The high in Fredericksburg was 78 degrees today. So if you get Texas-like weather let’s hope you get it soon before our temps go back up. July is turning out to be more mild than June down here.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

Smack down!

Comment

• Well we lost another town near us. Three years after the town of Paradise was wiped off the map, Greenville CA was destroyed the other day by the Dixie fire. It was much smaller than Paradise, at only about 1,000 or so people, but it was in a pretty little valley surrounded by heavy timber. They had a close call last week and thought they were out of the woods, but the winds shifted on Wednesday and came up on the town in a hurry. Fortunately, it looks like everyone got out in time. The area is still super risky, as several other towns are at risk of the same. It has also entered the southern edge of Lassen Park, which which would be awful if it took off in that direction. They often let those suckers burn like crazy in the National Forests.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ga...re-in-pictures

Another fire on the trinity river between Redding and Eureka is also causing all sorts of problems. Its already taken out one small town on the Trinity river, and several others sitting right in its path.

Comment

Working...
                                X