Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You got historical chops? The Timeguessr thread (spoiler alert)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

It's an expensive boarding school just North of Windsor. They educate many upper class children. The picture was probably when he graduated from Eton.
    Right, I wasn't clear. I'm familiar with the school. I wasn't familiar with Boris Johnson history of going there, although it does make sense. I only ever remember hearing about Oxford.

Comment

• 45,013. Did well on all but no. 4 where I was 14 years off (the others were 2 yrs. off or less) and got a 6195.

Comment

Picked oxford instead of Eton.

Guessed the right city in Poland but was off by 18 years.

Comment

• 42945. Not bad. I didn't recognize Boris Johnson, though I knew it was supposed to be someone I recognized. So I was about 10 years too early. Also guessed Prague instead of Poland on the eastern European street. Others were easy.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
            42945. Not bad. I didn't recognize Boris Johnson, though I knew it was supposed to be someone I recognized. So I was about 10 years too early. Also guessed Prague instead of Poland on the eastern European street. Others were easy.
            I was trying to place who that might be, but it didn't come to me, either.

Overall, this might be my best ever score - 45,314

9323 - 3 years, 44.3 km - Went with the Parthenon and a little early
            9781 - 2 years. 958.7 m - didn't think to look for Leipsigerstrasse, just selected a spot in downtown Berlin but a couple of years late.
            9057 - 4 years, 35.7 km - Picked a random spot in London north of the Thames.
            7199 - 10 years, 50.3 km - Found Lower Silesia in the southwest corner of Poland, and plopped down the pin in the middle of that region. Thought 2000 was late enough for those car models even in Poland, but was still a decade too early.
            9954 - 0 years, 1.6 km - Saw several mentions of SF and one of the ads in the lower right displayed a date in March 1989. Selected an intersection on Market Street since I saw that mentioned in one of the ads and figured it was likely close.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

1)10000 pts
              0 yrs off - 28.4 m - Gimme

2)5768 pts
              11 yrs off - 732.5 km - I was down in Nice and too early.

3)6909 pts
              13 yrs off - 4.5 km - picked too early again.

4)10000 pts
              0 yrs off - 13.2 m - Gimme on location, a little lucky on year.

5)9582 pts
              3 yrs off - 895.1 m - Should have left it on default.

Comment

• 48,014. Likely the fastest I've finished

1) 10,000 pts
                0 yrs off - 23.0 m. As Bo noted, a gimme.

2) 8746 pts
                3 yrs off - 353.7 km. Thought it was Euro Disney

3) 9525 pts
                3 yrs off - 2.4 km. The many British clues suggested pre-handover

4) 9788 pts
                2 yrs off - 112 m Walked up and down that lane multiple times and the hairstyles and the guy's shorts got me close on the year.

5). 9945 pts
                1 yrs off -231 m i was an admirer of hers as a pubescent male.

Comment

Years killed me.
                  1000 oyr 27m yep, gimme
                  6219 12yr 281km Picked middle of France as a hedge
                  8361 6yr 1.2km
                  7000 11yr 21m I think I was too early on the year, due to the shorts
                  8349 6yr 1.9km Embarrased to say that I was thinking Marilyn Monroe so I went early
                  “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

1) 9950 pts 1 yrs off - 49.1 m - I didn't remember the exact year of the Falkland conflict and didn't see any other obvious indications of the year. Picked a year late.
                    2) 8447 pts 4 yrs off - 353.5 km - Animatronics, a Lightning McQueen shirt and a Spiderman hat, a glossy map. With all the French I too picked Disneyland Paris but was pretty sure it wasn't there. For one thing, "Golden Lion" would be more suited to MGM.
                    3) 8325 pts 6 yrs off - 3.4 km - Wasn't sure to go with Hong Kong or Taiwan. Went correctly with Hong Kong. I thought the bus looked newer and guessed too recently.
                    4) 8400 pts 7 yrs off - 31.0 m - Should have paid more attention to the guy in the short shorts. Seeing references to the Franc, I knew it was pre-mid-90s, but didn't go back far enough. I'm a little embarrassed that I struggled to find the island quicker after us talking about it so much here on the board.
                    5) 9600 pts 3 yrs off - 47.9 m - I too am unable to recognize Jayne Mansfield I was a few years late.

Comment

1)9800 pts
                      2 yrs off - 12.0 m - Gimme location, a little lucky to get as close on the year.

2)8969 pts
                      1 yrs off - 481.2 km - I picked Madrid.

3)7274 pts
                      6 yrs off - 625.8 km - I picked Nuremburg and too early.

4)5409 pts
                      9 yrs off - 1182.6 km - I was down in Liberia, too early.

5)8393 pts
                      6 yrs off - 364.1 m - Enough clues to get close on the map. I was a couple streets off. Plus I thought the banners said 1981.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

1)9800 pts
                        2 yrs off - 12.0 m - Gimme location, a little lucky to get as close on the year.

2)8969 pts
                        1 yrs off - 481.2 km - I picked Madrid.

3)7274 pts
                        6 yrs off - 625.8 km - I picked Nuremburg and too early.

4)5409 pts
                        9 yrs off - 1182.6 km - I was down in Liberia, too early.

5)8393 pts
                        6 yrs off - 364.1 m - Enough clues to get close on the map. I was a couple streets off. Plus I thought the banners said 1981.
                        39,916 and was lucky as I thought the Yankees Stadium pic was honoring cops/firefighters the season after 9/11 so I got the year (didn't recognize the Sopranos cast(. And I misread the year in the Pope pic as well.

Comment

1) 10000 pts 0 yrs off - 7.3 m - I too thought of honoring 9/11 first responders and not the Sopranos. I saw lots of cameras and no cell phones which fit with the year. I was lucky to remember that date would have been at the old stadium.
                          2) 9997 pts 0 yrs off - 150.9 m - Complete luck on the location of this one. I was looking for region called Sitges in Spain. I wasn't familiar with it, but zooming in, the city caught my eye.
                          3) 5343 pts 10 yrs off - 1315.0 km - Didn't recognize the language. I considered Budapest, but based on accents, I thought it fit Sweden better. And since it was outside the iron curtain, I guessed 10 years too early. I need to remember that license plates that start with GA are Budapest.
                          4) 6958 pts 14 yrs off - 1.3 km - Went with Dakar based on the DK license plates and the French. Picked way too early though. Oof.
                          5) 9964 pts 0 yrs off - 1.0 km - I picked Wilshire instead of Olympic. Was perfectly aligned north south though. Lucked out on the year.

Comment

Over 9500 on everything except the Senegal one, which earned me whopping 664 points. Not as bad as my 12 a couple weeks ago, but close. I went with Congo 21 years too early
                            “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• The Senagal one was interesting. I was going for 2003 until I saw the phone on the advertisement on the billboard. It looked like a new iphone style phone, so I picked 2022 I think.

Comment

• 40,185 - I picked way too early on 3/5 of these.

1)9950 pts
                                1 yrs off - 5.9 m - Gimme

2)7333 pts
                                10 yrs off - 16.7 km - I was way too early.

3)6498 pts
                                8 yrs off - 501.8 km - I was up in Berlin and way too early again.

4)9895 pts
                                1 yrs off - 2.2 km - My little bro sent me one of those police patches from his mission when I was working in LE.

5)6509 pts
                                10 yrs off - 491.2 m - I picked Sioux City and way too early.

Comment

Working...
                                X