Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You got historical chops? The Timeguessr thread (spoiler alert)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • You got historical chops? The Timeguessr thread (spoiler alert)

    I'm dubious that this game has the lasting power of Wordle, but let's give it a shot. We may need to handicap the younger folks here; PAC and the other seasoned players have an unfair advantage.

    Post your daily scores here.

    Today I was spot on the location for the first three, and got the right year for the Beatles pic. Then the bottom dropped out on the last two. Final score: 34649
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

  • #2
    I already posted today in the Logic Games thread but I'm so immensely proud of this morning's performance (coming on the heels of the _UNCH disaster), my ego impels me to post again: 46,167, with only one weak level (I didn't recognize the Sudetenland). Got a 9995 for the Golden Gate Exposition.

    Comment


    • #3
      I played a round yesterday and was on pace for a score in the high 40ks. Had over 9000 on each of my first 4 guesses. The last picture was clearly at some sort of rally. A close up picture of about 12 members of the crowd. One was wearing a Steelers hat. Another an Eagles hat. No other significant identifying objects. I nailed the date (2016) but the rally was happening in. . . . Juneau, Alaska. So I got 4500 for nailing the date and 0 for picking Pennsylvania as the location. This happened another time with the last round being a picture impossible to locate.

      Im convinced the algorithm senses a potential high score and intentionally sends a picture which is either impossible to locate or date. Lame.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

      Comment


      • #4
        Do you have a link?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
          Do you have a link?
          https://timeguessr.com/
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

          Comment


          • #6
            I got 39,800 today. Nailed all the locations but was off on the years.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              I already posted today in the Logic Games thread but I'm so immensely proud of this morning's performance (coming on the heels of the _UNCH disaster), my ego impels me to post again: 46,167, with only one weak level (I didn't recognize the Sudetenland). Got a 9995 for the Golden Gate Exposition.
              same. Missed the Kate moss one in years completely and was off by 15 years on the berlin wall. 37835

              Comment


              • #8
                Am I the only one who thought "Oh, that's a cute girl" and had no idea it was Kate Moss?

                Also, I guessed Prague in that one, so not my finest hour.

                I did almost ace the berlin wall. One year off and very close geographically (which is obviously no great feat).

                Comment


                • #9
                  33,879, missed Kate Moss and I guessed near the end of the wall and not the beginning.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                    Am I the only one who thought "Oh, that's a cute girl" and had no idea it was Kate Moss?
                    You are not alone.

                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      I played a round yesterday and was on pace for a score in the high 40ks. Had over 9000 on each of my first 4 guesses. The last picture was clearly at some sort of rally. A close up picture of about 12 members of the crowd. One was wearing a Steelers hat. Another an Eagles hat. No other significant identifying objects. I nailed the date (2016) but the rally was happening in. . . . Juneau, Alaska. So I got 4500 for nailing the date and 0 for picking Pennsylvania as the location. This happened another time with the last round being a picture impossible to locate.

                      Im convinced the algorithm senses a potential high score and intentionally sends a picture which is either impossible to locate or date. Lame.
                      I did that one with my son last night. We saw someone with Hillary Logo so we got the 2016. Like you were fixated on the Pennsylvania gear.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                        Am I the only one who thought "Oh, that's a cute girl" and had no idea it was Kate Moss?

                        Also, I guessed Prague in that one, so not my finest hour.

                        I did almost ace the berlin wall. One year off and very close geographically (which is obviously no great feat).
                        We were thinking the same. I couldn’t pick Kate Moss out of a line. I also picked about a decade too soon. The people’s fashion around her seemed outdated. I think I picked Budapest for the location.

                        I too got a lot of points on the last one with the Berlin Wall.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          This is a lot of fun and I'm a bit better at it than I thought-- I was apprehensive. I nailed bunch and then tried to create an account and got everything wiped. Played again and ate total shit on a location and still got a reasonable score.
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Broke 40k on today's puzzle.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I recognized Kate Moss (rawrrr!). I was close on the year, But I guessed she was in NY instead of London. The cars in the background looked more US than Europe to me.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X