Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You got historical chops? The Timeguessr thread (spoiler alert)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1) 9951pts
    0 yrs off -1.8 km. Convenient having the year and city on the license plates.

2, 9996 pts
    0 yrs off - 215.5 m. Year and city on the poster. Oh boy oh boy--the holy grail of 49,000+ here I come!

3) 9115 pts Still a chance! Just a bit off on time but saw Kumanovo on the map.
    4 yrs off - 21.4 km

4) 7778 pts Oh well
    7yrs off - 121.6 km Thought it might be the Norwegian royal family fleeing the Nazi occupation. Incorrect.

5). 9279 pts
    1yrs off -171.3 km Knew it wasn't London so went with a mid-England guess (Manchester)

Comment

9460 3yr 10km
      7977 0 1046km picked Amsterdam
      8776 1yr 3yr 323km found aerodrome near belgrade on map. Completely ignored the land rover which was British military and would not have been in Belgrade
      7713 7yr 187km Picked Dutch refugees trying to get into Norway at beginning of WWII
      8702 3yr 398km started by zooming into London and seeing the Momument Tube Station near the London Bridge so I went with that.
      “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

1)9345 pts 0 yrs off - 154.7 km - I figured it was the advancement of Allied forces in France. I picked a city close to Paris -- Mantes-la-Jolie.
        2)9160 pts 2 yrs off - 139.5 km - All the cranes in the background made me think it might be close to Long Beach.
        3)10000 pts 0 yrs off - 2.7 m - Location was a gimme, and the year range was small. I lucked out.
        4)7453 pts 3 yrs off - 1294.5 km - Only word I saw was "Autoturisme" and I thought that looked more Germanic than Romantic. I had no idea, so I picked Germany, even though I wasn't familiar with it as a German word.
        5)9837 pts 0 yrs off - 15.7 km - I didn't consider the Paralympic games. I figured it was Syndey 2000 because of the big Australian contingent and host countries come into the stadium last and the place looked pretty crowded. In an English-speaking country Australia would be one of the first ones in otherwise. I was a little lazy on this one. I could have easily found the Olympic Park if I looked. I just picked a soccer stadium close to downtown Sydney.

Comment

Comment

• 41,390. The Olympics were my undoing, as I thought the Australia sign and team were feints,. And if you don't pick Australia, you're doomed distance-wise. At least I got a perfecto with the Carters, and was even closer than beefytee--I would have been wrestled to the ground by the Secret Service had I actually been there.

Comment

1)9996 pts
              0 yrs off - 175.1 m - I got closer than I expected. I thought it was a town close to the D-Day landing.

2)7297 pts
              6 yrs off - 603.2 km - Was thinking San Diego, but switched it to Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey. Should have left the year on default.

3)10000 pts
              0 yrs off - 3.1 m - Gimme location. I hedged with 1978 and got a little lucky.

4)6685 pts
              1 yrs off - 2295.6 km - Should have gone with my first instinct and placed the pin somewhere in Eastern Europe. I picked Madrid.

5)9998 pts
              0 yrs off - 75.9 m - A little lucky to have guessed the right city. The fanny pack and clothing made me think of 2000 though.

Comment

9053 0yr 447km Was too far inland
                9270 1yr 180km Picked an LA beach
                9950 1yr 3.5m Guessed middle of presidency
                6674 8yr 326km Got the right country, should have picked middle instead of capital
                9999 0yr 68.6m Was about to choose 96 because of the old school camcorder, but then noticed the banner in the stadium for a decidedly non-American sponsor. Upon review it is the Australian telecom company.
                “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• 42,858 - Just a little off on my locations today.

1)8907 pts
                  2 yrs off - 392.8 km - I was down in Rome.

2)9285 pts
                  1 yrs off - 165.2 km - I was down in Newcastle.

3)8949 pts
                  1 yrs off - 500.7 km - I was up in Montreal.

4)5856 pts
                  11 yrs off - 643.8 km - I was down in Bucharest. Left the year on default when I should have gone later.

5)9861 pts
                  1 yrs off - 4.3 km - Finally got the right city.

Comment

• 40,919. Started very strong, but got progressively worse, culminating in a zero for time with the Tokyo guess. No idea why I went with so early a date.

Comment

9800 2 yr 45m Almost went Rome, but then soomed in to the feed package that she had and it said Piazza San Marco
                      9325 0yr 175km I was up in Inverness
                      9599 3yr 71m even though it was basketball, Maple Leafs stuff all over the arena
                      4950 25yr 1.9km Thought it was one of those B&W meant to make me pick too early, which made me pick way too late.
                      8845 5yr 2.2km Resolution made me think it was within the last couple years.

Comment

• 41,974 -- Did great with location. Was off on several years. My son and I did this together today.

1) 10000 pts 0 yrs off - 19.5 m - Saw Piazza San Marco on the receipt in her hand and found it in Venice.
                        2) 7500 pts 9 yrs off - 19.0 m - My son suggested Scotland, and we were lucky to find the bridge. Guessed way too early.
                        3) 9600 pts 3 yrs off - 41.6 m - Location was a gimme. Guessed a few years too early.
                        4) 7460 pts 10 yrs off - 1.2 km - Remembered a photo like this previously, so I knew to look in Budapest. Picked a train station that had Deli in its name. Guessed way too late.
                        5) 7414 pts 8 yrs off - 4.1 km - Figured it was Tokyo, Guessed way too early. I always think Japanese cars look older.

Comment

1)9600 pts
                          3 yrs off - 23.3 m - Gimmie location. The camcorder gets you close on the year.

2)9292 pts
                          4 yrs off - 401.3 m - Found Leipziger near the heart of Berlin. Guessed a little late.

3)9638 pts
                          1 yrs off - 53.1 km - Easy to recognize that mug. I considered Eton, but hedged with Oxford.

4)6764 pts
                          10 yrs off - 235.7 km - I guessed Krakow, and too early.

5)9917 pts
                          0 yrs off - 4.0 km - I recognized 415 from my childhood, and Market Street said San Fran. The year was on one of the ads.

Comment

1) 9800 pts 2 yrs off - 13.6 m - Pretty straightforward here
                            2) 9829 pts 1 yrs off - 5.2 km - I should have looked harder for Leipzigerstrasse. It would have been easy to find.
                            3) 8425 pts 5 yrs off - 93.6 km - The PM has a bit of a Lou Ferrigno vibe with that hair. I was thinking it was when he was at university a few years later. I wasn't thinking straight there either and went to Cambridge, even though I know he went to Oxford. I didn't know about Eton.
                            4) 7684 pts 7 yrs off - 215.5 km - I didn't look hard enough for Lower Silesia, I did browse the regions of Poland though. I ultimately picked Prague, because I thought the accent suited Czechia more.
                            5) 9548 pts 3 yrs off - 2.0 km - There were a few tip-off for SF here, including a Cable station listing and a really blurry address. The listing for an 86 car helped me narrow down the date. I guessed a little early, I believe.

Comment

9562 3yr 1.1km I was lazy on the location and didn't zoom in enough
                              9950 1yr 22m They have used Liepziger Strasse a couple times now
                              6575 14yr 81km I didn't even think of Boris. Went way too early
                              8900 5yr 32m This was my OCD one on location, but I think I was actually late on the date.
                              9937 0yr 2.7km Took a while to find an ad with the year on it. Went with the public library.

Beefytee, I am pretty sure the '86 vehcle you mentioned was a motorcycle

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                                I didn't know about Eton.
                                It's an expensive boarding school just North of Windsor. They educate many upper class children. The picture was probably when he graduated from Eton.

Comment

Working...
                                X