"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

Agreed it has made huge strides in race relations. Other places it is still falling significantly short. It deserves credit, but you can't ignore the problems still exist.
    WTF no one on this fair website is ignoring problems with the church. The question is, are you capable of giving deserved praise without simultaneous criticism on an unrelated issue? I could ask a similar question to hardcore believers on whether they are capable of accepting valid criticism without simultaneously defending by bringing up unrelated good things the church has done.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post

Lame. I was imagining a bunch of volunteers in yellow vests dumping truckloads of those big water cooler type jugs into the GSL. Would have been a cool photo app.
      *Puts away his Mormon Helping Hands T-shirt.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

WTF no one on this fair website is ignoring problems with the church.

Last edited by All-American; 03-17-2023, 07:56 PM.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

I see no problem with this based on what he has done.

While he rightfully was commended for this work, I don't see a similar award for his work with the LGBTQ community.
          Good point. The reason, of course, is that the recent alignment with black causes is really all about joining together with the diminishing number of socially acceptable groups who will fight against LGBTQ rights.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hazzard View Post

Good point. The reason, of course, is that the recent alignment with black causes is really all about joining together with the diminishing number of socially acceptable groups who will fight against LGBTQ rights.
            I think you just set a new record on the cynicism meter for this website. Bravo.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I think you just set a new record on the cynicism meter for this website. Bravo.
              Haha. Thanks!

But really: it's so odd that the Church all of a sudden started partnering up with so many black organizations right around the time that the Republican party turned toward Trump and away from the Reagan/Bush version, which was more about "traditional values." I can't think of another explanation other than to form alliances for political purposes, chief among them their similarities on LGBTQ issues. The alliances with evangelicals have taken a backseat as the evangelicals have embraced Trump.

Maybe there's another logical explanation that I'm not thinking of?

Comment

Haha. Thanks!

But really: it's so odd that the Church all of a sudden started partnering up with so many black organizations right around the time that the Republican party turned toward Trump and away from the Reagan/Bush version, which was more about "traditional values." I can't think of another explanation other than to form alliances for political purposes, chief among them their similarities on LGBTQ issues. The alliances with evangelicals have taken a backseat as the evangelicals have embraced Trump.

Yes. Think of other things that could have made a difference that also changed around this period. Like, say, January 2018.
                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Haha. Thanks!

Your theory is not only condescending/insulting to the church, but you have managed to disparage black organizations at the same time. Quite a feat.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Haha. Thanks!

I don't think it has much to do with LGBTQ. I think it has a lot to do with both the Church and Black evangelicals finding themselves on the outside looking in at the storm of White Christian Nationalism that MAGA has ignited. You make your alliances where you can find them.
                    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

I don't think it has much to do with LGBTQ. I think it has a lot to do with both the Church and Black evangelicals finding themselves on the outside looking in at the storm of White Christian Nationalism that MAGA has ignited. You make your alliances where you can find them.
                      What one researcher calls the ‘seismic political shift’ happening among young Latter-day Saints

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2023/4...ess-republican

Where the claim that young Americans are ditching the Republican Party does hold up is among young adherents of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Burge has found that young Latter-day Saints are “significantly less conservative” than older ones and described the change as a “seismic political shift”

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                        Where the claim that young Americans are ditching the Republican Party does hold up is among young adherents of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Burge has found that young Latter-day Saints are “significantly less conservative” than older ones and described the change as a “seismic political shift”
                        I'm not sure that I've moved my position politically in the past decade or two, but I'm a lot further from the current Republican Party than I used to be. I think maybe they moved.

Comment

The naacp is willing to fight against LGBTQ rights?

Ill use Occams Razor and theorize that the church feels bad about how it treated black people for 130 years and is trying to make amends. Kudos to President Nelson for really accelerating that work.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

The naacp is willing to fight against LGBTQ rights?

Ill use Occams Razor and theorize that the church feels bad about how it treated black people for 130 years and is trying to make amends. Kudos to President Nelson for really accelerating that work.
                            Yeah, I agree with you. I'll join your podcast and talk about this for 3-4 hours.
                            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                            X